Regarding RAS

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Katsujinken

Regarding RAS

Post by Katsujinken » Mon May 10, 2004 12:08 pm

from thread "Has anybody heard of Piqsid" in Creative writing 101
Doesn't take a lot to surpass Mr. Salvatore.
As much as it pains me to say this... I agree with you CatBoris. I have read (almost) all the drizzt books. I really liked all the books in the Dark elf Trilogy, Icewind dale Trilogy, up to Starless nights (one-man Tactical Espionage Action :wink: ). It seems that after those books, drizzt books became difficult to read... In my mind, it was becoming like a cartoon show (Silent Blade and Servant of the Shard). It was painful for me to see how Artemis was treated in those books :evil: . Although, I enjoyed Spine of the World which was my first glimps of drizzt (without drizzt).

RAS was and is a Very Good Writer! :shock: The first Icewind dale book was written i guess 25 years ago. The Appearance of Enteri and his battle with drizzt was quite unique... Ahead of the times (I cant think of the Right word :? Innovative??). Its only recently that I see rivalries reminiscent of Drizzt/Artemis in many literatures and Movies. During that time, Most of the villains featured are brain dead. Come to think of it, i think, many movie concepts recently are FROM drizzt books ( like the movie i cant remember with Silvester Stalone and Antonio Banderas ? The Assassin?)

(more rants to follow :D )

Trust me 8) , Piqsid's versions are very very fulfilling! :wink:
-Devastated by the destruction of his home, the Blackisle, Satsujinken retires from his former life realizing that even great things come to an end. He moves to a town called Winterwind where he frequents the taverns, drinking...water...and talking but mostly listening to idle chatter of the locals.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon May 10, 2004 12:24 pm

If I had a little more time, I'd love to post a little more than this, but school's over, so... Anyway, keep your eyes peeled tomorrow. Might say something.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon May 10, 2004 4:43 pm

Salvatore's works aren't that bad as long as they're *not* anything about D&D.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon May 10, 2004 5:03 pm

Only writer's that write about anything D&D that have actually been good that I've come across are Weiss/Hickman. Of course they created that world (Dragonlance) so that could have something to do with it.

Not necessarily though since Ed Greenwood (on of the co-creators of FR) has written one of the worst pieces of crap I've had the misfortune to read. I'm talking about the atrocity known as Spellfire. A friend tricked me into reading it a while ago and he still owes me a bunch of hours of my life back.

Then again, I recently got him to see Bring it on again, so I guess we're even.

As for Salvatore, I really can't comment since I haven't read any of his stuff. But I do loathe Drizzt due to the hype.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Winterfox

Post by Winterfox » Tue May 11, 2004 12:01 pm

Spider wrote: Not necessarily though since Ed Greenwood (on of the co-creators of FR) has written one of the worst pieces of crap I've had the misfortune to read. I'm talking about the atrocity known as Spellfire. A friend tricked me into reading it a while ago and he still owes me a bunch of hours of my life back.
*grimaces* Did you have to remind me of that horror? It was actually better than Silverfall, also by Ed Greenwood, though. (My review of Spellfire here, and my review of Silverfall here.)

As for RAS...

I'm (in)famous for criticizing his writing at the Wizards.com's (now defunct) novel boards, and still am at the Candlekeep forum. I can't say what grates on me most. There's Drizzt's pretentious journal entries that try too hard to sound intellectual and philosophical; there's (for some reason) the fact that I loathe most of Salvatore's female characters (Alustriel's portrayal is dull, Catti is an annoying country bumpkin, Danica is a bossy tard). There's the silly dwarven names (Dagnabbit, Strumpet -- Strumpet!), there's the painfully detailed combat sequences, there's the thinness of actual plot, there's the utterly predictable storylines. This is not to mention Kierkan Rufo, who's got to be one of the worst villains conceived ever, in a novel or otherwise. Oh, if that isn't enough, the cliched, tacky vampirism slapped to the end of The Cleric Quintet. Wait, then there's the overuse of forced comic relief, which comes in the form of dwarves who have all the mental fortitude of an intellectually challenged Homo habilis.

Man, I could rant about this for days.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Tue May 11, 2004 12:05 pm

Well, you just saved me the trouble of writing an original post. I agree completely.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Re: Regarding RAS

Post by Phosphor » Tue May 11, 2004 2:28 pm

Katsujinken wrote:The first Icewind dale book was written i guess 25 years ago.
25 years ago? Try 16 - it was 1988.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Tue May 11, 2004 2:31 pm

God, I though I was old for a moment. Thanks Phosphor.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Tue May 11, 2004 2:37 pm

Most welcome. I knew I wasn't 6 when I read The Crystal Shard, and I knew I read it when it first came out sometime in the late 1980s. So I quick looked up the publication date.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue May 11, 2004 7:41 pm

I'm really liking War of the Spider Queen, it's a pretty neat project. 6 books, 6 Authors.

The storyline was thought of by Salvator with the help of the 6 Authors. They came up with some 'vague' idea's (start and end of each book and some main events), and left the rest to the authors.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Tue May 11, 2004 8:29 pm

The Drow are so over-done it's staggering. Surely there are other things to write about?

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue May 11, 2004 8:45 pm

I like the humour in it. *haksthumbsup*
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Tue May 11, 2004 8:47 pm

Those wacky Drow. Never know what sorts of crazy shenanigans they'll get up to next, I suppose.

Katsujinken

Post by Katsujinken » Wed May 12, 2004 4:07 am

Wahh, your right Phosphor! Icewind Dale was first published in 1988! :oops: That's 16 years ago possibly 17 or 18 for the time it took to write since i wrote the word ''written" - at this point katsujinken attempts a Reflex save and tries to do improved evasion... but fails and takes half damage :D 8)

Its still old though...
-Devastated by the destruction of his home, the Blackisle, Satsujinken retires from his former life realizing that even great things come to an end. He moves to a town called Winterwind where he frequents the taverns, drinking...water...and talking but mostly listening to idle chatter of the locals.

Katsujinken

IMPROVED EVASIONS

Post by Katsujinken » Thu May 13, 2004 10:12 am

Long Rants:
There's Drizzt's pretentious journal entries that try too hard to sound intellectual and philosophical
Some are quite good though, but some are forced
Alustriel's portrayal is dull
Perhaps its due to her wisdom and extremely long life, foolish human tendencies are beyond her...
Catti is an annoying country bumpkin
She is in character... though i hate reading dwarvish accent.
Danica is a bossy tard
Amen to that... though i dont think its RAS' fault... If that's what they call women empowerment or girl power, I'd rather go to Menzoberranzan.
silly dwarven names (Dagnabbit, Strumpet -- Strumpet!)
Hehehe... tickles my brain. but, destroys the story.
painfully detailed combat sequences
I like it. Its fun to visualize...
there's the thinness of actual plot, there's the utterly predictable storylines.
This didn't happen until lately...
Kierkan Rufo, who's got to be one of the worst villains conceived ever
Yeah, I hate him a lot... But, i think he was meant to be hated.
tacky vampirism slapped to the end of The Cleric Quintet.
No complaints... Its just ok for me. Van Hellsing was good but it reminded me of the movie The Underworld!?!
Wait, then there's the overuse of forced comic relief, which comes in the form of dwarves who have all the mental fortitude of an intellectually challenged Homo habilis.
Yeah, this really hurts the story in thousand orcs and lone drow...

I have two probable insights:
1) When Spine of the world was released and many people disliked it. It made an impression to RAS not to stray from the norm, not to let drizzt and co. grow up, not to give to fans what fans would not want. This placed RAS in a cage, I guess...

2) The over grown popularity of Drizzt to a wider audience forces RAS to lower the age limit of those who are old enough to read the novels. (The dwarven names and their personality) Speaking of Dwarven personality, they are known to be tough, Bull headed, etc. I can't think of a way to make them portray those characteristics without becoming grim and warlike and evil (like Korgan Bloodaxe - IMHO, "good" dwarf) which would not be good for the kids at all... But, hey, the dwarves in Tolkien's "The hobbit" had english accent... anyway. :D[/b]