Star Trek in general now...

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: ENTERPRISE - and Star Trek in general now...

Post by Joseph » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:35 pm

I'll take the first two seasons of VOY over the crap that was TNG's first two seasons any day. Even if the love triangle between Neelix, Kes and Paris was pretty daft.

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52 pm

Oh, well, not really. I'd say both TNG and VOY's first two seasons were a case study in how a brand name can carry a horrible show long enough to grow into their own. Sadly it wasn't enoug for SG:U, but that's a different franchise altogether.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:57 pm

I don't know if we need a new thread for general sci-fi shows, but anyway, how many Star Gate series are there now? :wacko:

Never seen anything besides the original movie. I think I'm also going to invest in Babylon 5 some day. Keep hearing good stuff about it. Just to keep my Blakes 7 and Lexx dvd collections company.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 am

This is a Star Trek only thread. Post your SG stuff in the Latest Watched thread or Fluffly will get cranky. ;)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 am

But I'm innocent, I haven't watched them yet :(
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 am

I've never watched it either. Not a single episode. For some reason it just never caught my interest, what little I knew of it.

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:05 am

Gorth wrote:I don't know if we need a new thread for general sci-fi shows, but anyway, how many Star Gate series are there now? :wacko:
Three. Stargate SG1 (10 seasons), Stargate: Atlantis (5 seasons) and Stargate: Universe (cancelled after 2 seasons and a huge cliffhanger). There are also two direct-to-DVD/TV feature film length episodes, Stargate: Continuum and Stargate: The Ark of Truth finishing up open storylines from SG1's 10 season run, a similar episode planned for SG:A was cancelled due to disappointing performance by Continuum and Ark of Truth.
Never seen anything besides the original movie. I think I'm also going to invest in Babylon 5 some day. Keep hearing good stuff about it. Just to keep my Blakes 7 and Lexx dvd collections company.
As resident sci-fi geek I'd consider them good enough. I mean, they were good enough to follow the Stargate franchise religiously for 15 years.

SG1 & Atlantis follow a mixed episodic/serialized story format much like X-Files. There are story arc episodes (Earth's battle against the Goa'uld and subsequently the Jaffa Rebellion) and "Planet of the Week" episodes, each of varying quality. Especially in the first season when they really didn't know what to do with it yet. Later seasons produced some of the best sci-fi TV episodes though.

Plus, the show has Richard Dean Anderson in it. Which alone would be awesome enough to watch it. Get on with it!

B5 on the other hand is a 4 season serial storyline with an added fifth season that creates more story arcs than it closes and finishes off with an episode actually filmed for season 4. B5 is probably one of the few cases where the principal storyline in itself was finished before filming the first episode.

There were a deal of changes to accomodate actors joining or leaving the show during its run though, obviously, which leaves some plot points unresolved or never mentioned again, but overall you never get the feeling that the writer(s) made it all up as the show went along.

B5 is certainly one of the best sci-fi shows, but it's special effects are seriously dated by now. It ran in '94 and *all* special effects were pure CGI. Which was cutting edge back then, but really looks ridiculous nowadays.
Joseph wrote:I've never watched it either. Not a single episode. For some reason it just never caught my interest, what little I knew of it.
It's well worth to look into it I'd say. Stargate is the largest sci-fi franchise after Star Trek and Dr. Who and had the longest continous run of any sci-fi TV show with SG1's ten seasons and more than 200 episodes. Let's just say you don't get to make 10 seasons of a niche genre show without it being good. :mrgreen:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:11 am

just made a sci-fi thread for the non-trekkers.

I've just made an Enterprise marathon yesterday and I have to admit the first 7 or so episodes are very bad, but after that it really picked up. Also I think Blalock really isn't cut out to be a Vulcan, I know she is a trekkie and didn't like her arc but to me she can't deliver lines that seem to be more about exposition than actual character bits.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:19 am

Blalock can't make anything work except her cleavage. She's got a minor role in Stargate as well, where she was... just as bad.

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Alex Kurtzman And Roberto Orci To Return To Write STAR TREK 3

I am betting the farm they will use the borg

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Link doesn't work. How many times do I have to tell you lot that phpBB truncates (and buggers) links and to use the url tags! Gah!

As for Kurtzman and Orci writing JJTrek3... shame. They buggered the first two so badly I was hoping some other writers would step in.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:22 am

They should just let RHW write a script. That way it can be full of awesome action but still be wonderfully Star Trek... not to mention a little less intellectually insulting.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:10 am

So my Voyager rewatch project finally crossed the... THRESHOLD.

Boy, it's as dumb as ever. I have a better epsiode title for Threshold: "Shattered Suspension of Disbelief"

I don't mind technobabble as long as it has a fraction of sense. Millions of years of evolution and following the pattern of human "natural" evolution? No. That one's way too tough to swallow, and that's not even touching on the whole children with Janeway issue (or the idea that all of a sudden Paris would be breathing acidic air instead of normal air... I mean come on, how the hell should that happen?)

edit:

Also, continutity issues. At the end they can easily cure the side effects of warp 10 travel. So get home and cure the crew afterwards, you fucking imbeciles!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:53 am

But that's exactly why Threshold is great. It's so bad it's bloody hilarious.

And on a slightly related, well, Trek in general related, note...

I've been doing a re-watch of Hogan's Heroes as I mentioned in the "Latest Shows Watched" thread and I'm absolutely amazed at how many TOS guest actors were in episodes of Hogan's Heroes. And one of TOS's better directors directed his share of HH too.

I point this out simply because, growing up in the late 70s, early 80s, as I kid I naturally saw of lot of 60s shows in re-runs and I can't think of any other mid/late 60s show I watched that had so many of the TOS guests actors. And I don't think it's a matter of them being on the same lot because TOS was a Desilu/NBC show and HH was CBS. In over 90 episodes of Gilligan's Island, for example I can only think of one guest actor that had roles in both but in HH, there are at least a dozen I've counted so far.

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 am

For majestic I'll take your Threshold and raise you... Dear Doctor from Enterprise.

The two main characters Ph'lox and Archer endorse genocide to an entire race even though they have the ability to help them. Now to be fair that wasn't the original ending but it still counts.

Now aside from the BS Prime Directive endorsing genocide in this case we have the science. How the heck can a species that basically look the same ON THE SAME PLANET can't mate with each other but a Vulcan and a human can mate? Ph'lox also claims that this genetic defect can only kill them off to make the other race evolve higher. Evolution DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT.

-Rachel Duncan