What will it be for the next 4 years?

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:09 pm

So I'm guessing I'm supposed to answer no they should not come at the expense of others so you can point out to me how mine do then? Fine

Yes I feel I am free and no freedom should not come at the expense of others freedom....unless of course they deserve to lose their freedom...
Not all those who wander are lost...

Ewen Brown
Location: stalking tink to catch his invisible martian antenas at work

Post by Ewen Brown » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:37 pm

uh no, i had no intention of doing that you're quite capable of that yourself i'm going in a totally different direction

how do you feel about your work? (do you like it? what do you feel about the hours? stuff like that and anything else you want to share or feel is important to mention)
stupidity causes violence

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:01 pm

If I was still working for someone else I would probably not be doing this work- I do it becuase it's MY business and that gives me the motivation to deal with the long hours and other BS that I put up with in order to be doing what I do. There are lots of choices I could make to do things differently and there are pluses and minuses to all of them. I basically traded a LOT of those choices in order to work as I do running from Phx to LA- never having to deal with snow- hardly ever having to deal with rain being home most every weekend and close enough to home to stop by almost every other day if I was so inclined. I am single with no children so I can afford to take this job a little easier than others can. Once my truck is paid for (next year) I should be able make up for some of the years I pissed away earlier in life and build up some savings/retirement (with the 425 a week I am currently spending on a truck payment). MOST of all I like the freedom of being self employed instead of "working for the man"- even tho that means no paid vacations, no paid holidays, I am captain of my own ship and thats the way I like it for the most part. And while the BS parts of the truck driving are a definate hassle probably 75% of the job for me entails driving a nice air conditioned truck outfitted with bed/electric cooler/ microwave/stereo/ laptop down the road in mostly good weather -

Thats how I feel about my current business - I have had a few others and too many other "jobs" over the last 40 years to enumerate...

Ewen Brown

Post by Ewen Brown » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:08 pm

i wasn't originally going to asked but i'm intrigued now, of all the jobs you had, which was your favorite

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:42 pm

Well the "obvious" favorite was being a performing musician being paid to drink mass quantities of alcohol working 4-5 hours a night 5-6 nights a week in return for what were decent "blue collar" wages at the time (300-500 a week plus room usually) - but the after effects of the years I spent doing that are still with me today and looking back on it today I see what a waste most of it was.

I was general manager of an Ice cream business on the Oregon Coast (2 stores) for a few months and that was a job I liked a lot in spite of the long hours I put in and the challenges I faced - I was the first "outside" manager in this "Family" business and some of the employees included the owners wife and kids. I lost this one to alcohol too eventually.

I also came close to being about the number 4 guy in food and beverage management at the Grand Canyon in a department consisting of 100s of workers (4 major F&B faciliites on the property) - living and working a challenging job on the rim of the grand canyon was a once in a lifetime experience-this was about a year or so after I came to the Canyon as a dishwasher-- lost that one to booze too...

Then there was the caretaker job at Donnely Inn in AK- paid 75 bucks a month in groceries I could charge at the local grocery store 30 miles away but I had no duties other than to live there- it was fun in summer and I left before winter set in.

I do like my current business more than I dislike it and once the truck is paid for a few new options will open for me as well which could mean both more freedom and more money depending on lots of variables...

Ewen Brown

Post by Ewen Brown » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:33 pm

if i were to give you 10 million dollars, so you wouldn't have to work, would that be enough for you for the rest of your life?

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:12 pm

It would be enough money to live on but it would not necessarily keep me from working at something

Ewen Brown

Post by Ewen Brown » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:44 pm

naturally, but seeing as it would free you to work at whatever you want as your livelihood wouldn't depend on it what would that be (the long version of the short question what would you do with yourself then)

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:31 pm

I really don't know - I don't play the lottery so I really have no daydreams about it -

Ewen Brown

Post by Ewen Brown » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:57 pm

try