Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

US tries to block "Assisted Suicide"

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:10 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3999015.stm

US seeks court ruling on suicide

The Bush administration has appealed to US Supreme Court in an effort to block an Oregon law allowing doctors to help the terminally ill end their lives.

Oregon is the only US state where assisted suicide is permitted.

Outgoing Attorney General John Ashcroft wants to overturn rulings by two courts that protect Oregon doctors from federal punishment for aiding suicide.

The Death with Dignity Act, approved by Oregon's voters, has been used by 170 people since 1998. Most had cancer.

Assisted suicide is an important issue to conservative Christians, who helped George W Bush win a second term as president last week, Associated Press reports.

Mr Ashcroft, himself a conservative Christian, issued his directive against assisted suicide in 2001.

In it he declared that using drugs restricted under the Controlled Substances Act to help patients commit suicide was not a "legitimate medical purpose".

He ordered that doctors and pharmacists prescribing lethal doses of drugs should have their prescription licenses revoked.

But a federal court and the Ninth Circuit appeal court have blocked the directive, saying it was beyond Mr Ashcroft's powers to interfere in state medical regulation.

Under Oregon's "right-to-die" law, patients must be in the final six months of a terminal illness, have their diagnosis confirmed by two doctors and be judged mentally competent to make the decision.

Campaigners in Hawaii and Vermont are seeking to bring in similar legislation.

Legal judgements so far have not rested on the ethics of euthanasia itself.

The Supreme Court is likely to decide early next year whether to hear the Attorney General's appeal over Oregon

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:13 pm

My personal view is that the state should have no say in this matter what so ever. The decision should rest with the family, their doctor and their own personal faith. It is not for the state to force religious feelings/value on a nation as a whole. It's a fact that not every single American is a "conservative Christian". What right does the state have to mandate that a person dying of a terminal disease has to suffer longer (and there family along with them)?

None at all.

Ewen Brown
Location: stalking tink to catch his invisible martian antenas at work

Post by Ewen Brown » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:35 pm

shh... don't interrupt americans and their "freedom"
stupidity causes violence

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Krazikatt

Post by Krazikatt » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:56 am

Ugh... this makes me mad. Too many freakin' stupid conservative christian's in this country it makes me sick. I could rant about it forever but I'll spare you :)

I think it should be legal - if I were terminally ill but feeling fine and dandy that would be one thing, but most terminally ill people are in pain... they are suffering and their escalating medial bills are drowning their families in debt. It's not fair to the people... if they want to die and be at peace then let them!!

I absolutely hate the fact that these conservative christians think they know what's best for everyone and their mother. They don't! Just because they believe in certain things doesn't make their belief right in the eyes of all.

rant rant rant... *huff*
^..^

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:13 am

Well, you ranted more than me but I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:37 am

Well actually their objection is not precisely to prevent terminally ill people from "ending thier pain" it just seeks to prevent doctors from assisting them...if the practice became prevelant can't you just see how Madison Ave would handle the advertising for it on TV and radio...:o
Not all those who wander are lost...

monard

Post by monard » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:10 am

Well said Wanderon, US doctors don't need to be in the killing buisness as far as I am concerned.

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:30 am

It has been legalized here in the Netherlands for quite some time now. But it is under strict regulation as it should be. It should never be easy! If this kind of thing would be open for advertising then that would really be a show of illness of a community.

I think it is a good thing that people who have no hope, can have the freedom to end their lives in as gentle a way as possible. Which is just what the doctor is providing.

As for the religiously tainted arguments against euthanasia. What cruel god gives us the ability to learn how to end our lives peacefully and then forbids us to use that knowledge? He is capable enough to prevent the killing of a patient whom he wanted to save with a miracle anyway. The miracle would even be greater for it! He gave us the ability of free choice, he should give us the ability to enact it as well.
Ruald,Cleric(STR&Plantdomain)Stats16,9,12,12,18,13MaxHp14CurHp5 MemSp lvl0 DtMag(0/2)RdMag(1/1)Light(1/1) lvl1 Bless(0/1)Doom(0/1)Sanct(0/1) Money 24g/4s/1c

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:02 pm

monard wrote:Well said Wanderon, US doctors don't need to be in the killing buisness as far as I am concerned.
Excellent point indeed. Who needs regulations and policies. You can by booze and shotgun shells in the corner store on Main Street USA. Why not the do it yourself Suicide Kit as well?

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:36 pm

That actually does make some sense to me over making the process too easy- its not really as simple as it is being made here either - death never is. What about the kids who think theres no reason for old mom to hang on in all that pain becuase they could really use their inheritance now instead of later and since its all legal and above board it now becomes easier to "talk her into it"...

My question is really do we NEED Doctor assisted suicide?? I'm not sure we do...I'm not blatantly against it per say but it "bothers me" to have the gov't move in that direction- whats next- auto-euthanasia for everyone over 70 to make room for the new population?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:55 pm

If not Doctor assisted, then at least RN or Paramedic assisted. Some health professional should be in atendance.

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:35 pm

Same difference it still involves the state in suicide which is not an area I am comfortable having under government control...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:54 pm

I don't see it as "state" control. They provide the means (besides pills, shotguns, gas stoves, bathtubs and hairdryers etc) and simply say "yes, you have the right to end your own life when you're terminal and we'll make it as painless as possible for you. We'll let you die with dignity too".

Wanderon

Post by Wanderon » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:41 pm

You can sugar coat it anyway you please its still state condoned murder.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:28 pm

Well, since most states seems to have the death penalty...

How about a "Last Chance to Settle Old Scores" kit ? 8)

Get that shotgun and instructions in how to get even with that obonoxious son-in-law, how to finally show what you think about the neighbour who always parks on your part of the footpath etc.

Blow a head off and get the death penalty. Father state provides you with a priest, a last meal and a lethal injection :mrgreen:

(Needless to say, I discovered, that I had run out of coffee this morning, just not my week)
A dyslexic walks into a bra...