The latest movie/tv show you've seen

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: The latest movie/tv show you've seen

Post by Joseph » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Ok, so, running out of things worth watching on Netflix... seriously, you can only do so many re-watches of the various Star Trek shows or Archer and there's a finite amount of decent documentaries to watch and I'm hard pressed to think of a really good Netflix original series....

My wife and I have taken to watching random youtube channels. I think Youtube really needs a mental health hazard disclaimer.

I admit I've always be a bit of an idealist and thought teh interwebz would be great for spreading knowledge and information. Well, we all know the reality. I never wanted to admit to myself how stupid most people truly are. I don't know where the blame lies. Parenting? Education? Both are a factor but omfg. That's all I can say. Some of it is addictive though. You just can't tear your eyes away.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Joseph wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:45 pm
Ok, so, running out of things worth watching on Netflix... seriously, you can only do so many re-watches of the various Star Trek shows or Archer and there's a finite amount of decent documentaries to watch and I'm hard pressed to think of a really good Netflix original series....

My wife and I have taken to watching random youtube channels. I think Youtube really needs a mental health hazard disclaimer.

I admit I've always be a bit of an idealist and thought teh interwebz would be great for spreading knowledge and information. Well, we all know the reality. I never wanted to admit to myself how stupid most people truly are. I don't know where the blame lies. Parenting? Education? Both are a factor but omfg. That's all I can say. Some of it is addictive though. You just can't tear your eyes away.
I was about to suggest Stranger Things if you haven't watched it yet but then I remembered that you like Voyager more than The Next Generation and I have no idea what to suggest in such a case. :haha:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 pm

TNG doesn't deserve the pedestal people put it on. A crew of condescending elitist twats played by mostly craptastic actors? Ooh yay! ;)

Funny you should mention it though because A) I just reactivated my TrekkBBS account after five years and posted about VOY yesterday and B) my wife and I just started a re-watch. Well, it's a re-watch for me and largely new for her although she used to watch it here and there with her mother.

One more time, for the record...

TOS
DS9
VOY/ENT

TNG
TAS

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:00 pm

You're quite clearly addled when it comes to the quality of Star Trek shows. ;) Voyager's writing and character development was so bad that even Kate Mulgrew thought Janeway was supposed to be bipolar and Robert Beltran thought they were insane in dealing with Chakotay. Plus it had Neelix. Bob Picardo alone couldn't save the show as a whole - but he came pretty close.

But... I, uhm, am having a deja vu now. Although, is it a deja vu if something really happened before? :p

(Anyway it's quite clearly DS9 > TNG = TOS > VOY > ENT (season 4) > ENT (season 3) > a rock > crotch rot > ENT > Discovery. :p)
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:31 am

Seriously? That's the best you can come up with? Recycling tired old jokes?

Can you name one good thing about TNG other than Patrick Stewart? TNG didn't even produce enough quality episodes for one season let alone the seven it got. Horrible characters and even worse actors. Icky yucky blech!

And what is this "Discovery" you speak of? It certainly isn't Star Trek. ;)

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:12 pm

The Measure of a Man, Drumhead and Darmok alone are better than anything Voyager had combined. :p

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 pm

If that's the best you can come up with, and considering your third example is a story that's been told many times before TNG picked it up, I can see that I win this easily.

TNG had zero likable, relatable characters. VOY at least gave you characters someone can relate to. The only thing TNG has in it's favour is that it ended the 18 year absence of Trek from TV.

DS9 is the best modern series and sorry, but TNG is so boring, so poorly acted and just so bloody head up its own arse that I have no revised my ranking and place it below TAS. ;)

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Joseph wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 pm
If that's the best you can come up with, and considering your third example is a story that's been told many times before TNG picked it up, I can see that I win this easily.
Only in your dreams. It's only three examples and each better than everything in Voyager. There are many more great episodes in TNG.

Oh, and how far can you have your head up your arse when Janeway having her head up her arse in the most Starfleety manner possible is the very reason the show didn't end after the pilot? As if the Kazon would ever have figured out how to operate the array. :razz:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:01 am

TNG Season 1... no wonder Patrick Stewart expected the show to be cancelled and even Denise Crosby, who never had much of a career, wanted out.

And name one character on VOY as useless and annoying as Troi. I'd take a ship full of Neelixes any day.

Name a VOY character as bland and boring as Chrusher. You can't.

Did VOY have a perv like Geordi? A guy so stalker rapey that he had his little holo fantasy with Leah Brahams and when she actually came aboard and found out... Geordi freaked on her and blamed her for him being a creep.

Worf didn't become a reasonably good character until DS9. The Data/Pinocchio schtick was overdone and Riker... oh man, one of the worst characters ever.

Even then, even when the show was airing those were poorly written characters portrayed by no talent hacks.

I'm enjoying this. Shame we apparently feel the same about STD.

You're looking at TNG through rose coloured glasses. At least VOY never took itself that seriously.

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Joseph wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:01 am
TNG Season 1... no wonder Patrick Stewart expected the show to be cancelled and even Denise Crosby, who never had much of a career, wanted out.

And name one character on VOY as useless and annoying as Troi. I'd take a ship full of Neelixes any day.
Voyager had a season 1 too. And a season 2. Basically anything with the terrible Kazon in it. Which was quite a lot in the beginning. And Crosby regretted wanting out after she saw how the later seasons turned out. Plus she came back as guest star.
Name a VOY character as bland and boring as Chrusher. You can't.
Neelix. And Kim. Sorry. Kim was the flustered ensign for what, seven years? Even Barclay who was only guest starring every now and then had more character development. :eyebrow:
Joseph wrote:
Did VOY have a perv like Geordi? A guy so stalker rapey that he had his little holo fantasy with Leah Brahams and when she actually came aboard and found out... Geordi freaked on her and blamed her for him being a creep.
Tom Paris kidnapped Janeway and made lizard babies with her, I think that's kind of equal. Speaking of lizard babies, VOY has the worst Star Trek episode ever. :razz:

Leaving out two thirds of STD though.
Joseph wrote:
Worf didn't become a reasonably good character until DS9. The Data/Pinocchio schtick was overdone and Riker... oh man, one of the worst characters ever.
Brent Spiner was great as Data. So while VOY had Kate Mulgrew and Bob Picardo TNG had Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner. If Data's schtick was overdone then so was the EMH's. Riker I thought was okay. His interactions with Troi were terrible though.

I'll give you Worf. He wasn't used for anything but showing how tough an enemy is. I'll raise you a Neelix. And Kes.
Joseph wrote:
Even then, even when the show was airing those were poorly written characters portrayed by no talent hacks.
The VOY cast wasn't much better, let's be fair. And TNG had the better stories and a higher overall quality. Really, pick a random TNG episode and a random VOY episode and the chance to get a turd is much higher in the VOY pile. :p
Joseph wrote:
I'm enjoying this. Shame we apparently feel the same about STD.
Looks like. We also agree on DS9. ;)
Joseph wrote:
You're looking at TNG through rose coloured glasses. At least VOY never took itself that seriously.
You're confusing incoherent character writing with intention.

I'm not looking at TNG with rose coloured glasses because during their original runs I also thought VOY to be a better, or at the very least, more entertaining show. I liked Janeway being resolute most of the time and thought Picard was way too much into taking crap before finally commiting to action. And I enjoyed looking at Jeri Ryan.

My outlook changed over time and with rewatches. It was rewatching TOS that gave me a better appreciation for TNG. ;)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 pm

You've put a lot of effort into breaking up those quotes. I must be getting to you. Your resolve is weakening. ;)

Geordie is a perv and LeVar Burton should have been ashamed of himself for not insisting on rewrites. There's no comparison between Tom and Katie's salamander sex and Geordie the Pervy Cyberstalker. Geordie was himself. In control. He chose to be a creep. But we can compare this...

Threshold (blech) at least had Paris and Janeway "de-evolve" into the same species. TNG... Genesis... wtf dude?!?

Oh, and Picard got his sorry ass assimilated. Janeway kicked Borg butt. Picard cried like a baby and begged Q for help. Janeway, again, kicked Borg butt. Picard isn't worthy of licking Katie's boots. ;)

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Joseph wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 pm
You've put a lot of effort into breaking up those quotes. I must be getting to you. Your resolve is weakening. ;)

Geordie is a perv and LeVar Burton should have been ashamed of himself for not insisting on rewrites. There's no comparison between Tom and Katie's salamander sex and Geordie the Pervy Cyberstalker. Geordie was himself. In control. He chose to be a creep. But we can compare this...

Threshold (blech) at least had Paris and Janeway "de-evolve" into the same species. TNG... Genesis... wtf dude?!?

Oh, and Picard got his sorry ass assimilated. Janeway kicked Borg butt. Picard cried like a baby and begged Q for help. Janeway, again, kicked Borg butt. Picard isn't worthy of licking Katie's boots. ;)
Of course Picard was assimilated and couldn't just kick Borg ass. His show happened before the villain decay when the Borg were turned from scary enemies into pushovers an unsupported lone Interpid class ship could take on. :haha:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:05 pm

Pfft. Janeway is twice the man Picard is. Just ask Chakotay. ;)

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:18 pm

TNG was better than Voyager. Even after all these years, I can still remember individual episodes of TNG. The best I can do for voyager is vaguely remember some plot elements. Janeway is just so milquetoast compared to captain studliness Picard.

Worf did get better on DS9 though. But then he was in First Contact and you get him saying "Perhaps today IS a good day to die. Prepare for ramming speed!" so I'm a little conflicted there.

Nemesis was just bad, though, but I guess it set up for Star Trek Online, some books, and the new movies, so it might have had a better legacy than just being that weird and awful star trek film/

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:52 pm

Been pondering watching that Gotham show....

Star Trek? I never really got into it but now as Star Wars is pretty crappy...Maybe worth a chance!?