Moral Question part duex

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Moral Question part duex

Post by Fluffy17 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:20 pm

You're on a mountain, and it erupts into lava. You've been hiking, and just met a girl with an ATV. She proceeds to turn on her ATV and starts to go. Now, would it be evil to throw her off and take the ATV yourself [assuming that it can only take one person and that the one left on foot will surely die]? Because that's what I'd do, you see. I am going to guarantee MY survival. She is nothing to me; I owe her nothing. Either way, one of us dies... why not make sure it isn't me?

See, I'm having trouble with my ethical system. I had previously decided that harm = bad and pleasure/happiness = good. Pretty simple, and overall workable. Don't cause harm to someone who wills no harm to you, was the basic gist. Yet... I also am very selfish and, frankly, power-hungry, and some of my desires run counter to my own moral code. :(

I think I see a way out, or two, but I'm not sure. Hmmm. Oh well, with time my incredibly huge brain and awesome intellect will figure it out :D (XD)
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:56 am

Theres a difference between doing the "right" thing and doing the "moral" thing. The moral thing is to die (self sacrifice and whatnot) whereas the right thing is to ensure your continued survival, as you are certainly a better person than some hypothetical girl on an ATV.

silvar

Post by silvar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:18 pm

and there is relative morality to think about too.

Personally, I wouldnt be stupid enough to be climbing an active volcano, but if knocking some faceless individual out gave me a Mauler (yes, its an All Terrain Vehicle) until further notice? Without hesitation!

Stuff lasts, people are fragile and plentiful, so whatever gives (me) more manufactured stuff (with) an extended existance is the right path to proceed.
Eos #98 :
People who have something to be genuinely depressed about never make it to the internet.

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:14 pm

MERLANCE wrote:Theres a difference between doing the "right" thing and doing the "moral" thing. The moral thing is to die (self sacrifice and whatnot) whereas the right thing is to ensure your continued survival, as you are certainly a better person than some hypothetical girl on an ATV.
Actually I'd say the hypthetical girl is clearly the better person, since at least she had the sense to bring an ATV to the volcano.
;)
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Ewen Brown
Location: stalking tink to catch his invisible martian antenas at work

Post by Ewen Brown » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:40 pm

Fluffy17 wrote:some of my desires run counter to my own moral code
yes well, that's the reason it's a moral code

as for the question, you're both going to be dead anyway so dying on an atv or on foot is an esthetic choice
stupidity causes violence

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Krazikatt

Post by Krazikatt » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:27 pm

even an ATV made for one person can hold two if absolutely necessary... so I say jump on the back.
^..^

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:23 am

Why is there this common misconception that sacrifice = good ?!?

It's not good, it's stupid.

The girl was smart to bring an ATV, but was she smart when she didn't stay clear of you, who might challenge her possession of the ATV.

Why was she anywhere near you ? Just to show off, hey look at me, no hands. Oh, and you are gonna die in 5...

Nature has equipped you with selfishness for a reason. So, that you can survive, knock up as many girls as possible and distribute your genes. Thats being a good living being :wink:

The girl, if she can't hang on to her ATV was selected as the unfittest for survival in that situation (assuming you have superior physical strength to beat the crap out of her).

If you don't, then you are yourself the unfittest for survival because of brain damage suffered as a kid, weird morals and ethics and all that.

Life sucks, wear a helmet :idea:
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:43 am

hmmm i think i'd try to take in two people, and probably die both. depends how much i like the other though.
and when the bestiality of dying kicks in i wouldnt know what i'd do anymore, but i suppose i could do more in that state while with two on a crashing ATV than alone with no one around.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:03 am

I'd run her over to ensure a quick death, then take off.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Barren

Post by Barren » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:57 pm

If every human being was ready to systematically sacrifice others for his own well-being, the human race wouldn't be able to survive very long, let alone prosper. Therefore, this behavior is immoral. (Kantian reasoning)
[url=http://forums.ashfordcity.net]Ashford City[/url] - What do you know, the link is no longer working.

Ewen Brown

Post by Ewen Brown » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:03 pm

why sacrifice when you can use and abuse and gain twice as much if not more

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:18 pm

how can you use and abuse in this situatuon? :?
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:23 pm

Ewen Brown wrote:why sacrifice when you can use and abuse and gain twice as much if not more
do you gain twice as much, or would you have gained four times that much, and a chance of propagation, if you came out both alive?
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Ewen Brown

Post by Ewen Brown » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:00 pm

it depends on your preferred lifestyle but i did say 'if not more'

Fluffy17 wrote:how can you use and abuse in this situatuon? :?
in this situation it doesn't matter becuase you'd be dead either way, you're not going to escape a volcano blast with an atv, i was talking in general in response to barren's post

Barren

Post by Barren » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:22 am

Ewen Brown wrote:why sacrifice when you can use and abuse and gain twice as much if not more
Because if everyone thought like that, the world would be a living hell, therefore as much people as possible need not to think like that?
[url=http://forums.ashfordcity.net]Ashford City[/url] - What do you know, the link is no longer working.