Do you need to kill the body too ?

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Gorth
Patron
Patron

Do you need to kill the body too ?

Post by Gorth » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:07 pm

From D.O.T. (Department for Obscure Thoughts).

Hypothetical situation:

You wan't to get rid of somebody. You know they are mentally "weakened" (unstable) and you have knowledge of how to push the person over the edge, effectively killing the person as you know him, reducing him to a vegetable. All by exposing the person to the right triggers.

Assumptions:

1) No physical damage or effects are applied to the person.

You have a piece of paper with a picture, that will drive that person over the edge.

2) I'm curious about the ethics, not the legal side of things.

Question:

Do you think it is murder to show that picture to that person ?

My own thoughts ranged from one extreme to the other:

A purely Darwinistic: If a person is that weak, he had it coming.

A hard middle ground: You are one mean bastard and should have a restraining order put on you, to never go near that person again.

A soft middle ground: You are despicable, being up there with people who do torture and animal cruelty, although not really a murderer.

In the name of Fish: You are evil and deserve the contempt and consequences, that a killer of persons get.

What do you think ?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:20 pm

Short of maiming and murder, most physical wounds heal. Mental and emotional scars on the other hand... well, some never heal, not even with time.

My opinion is that the latter are the more damaging and more malicious.

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:18 pm

you cant pull nobody's strings for shit you little puny phreak gorth you are.
My breath stinks because I eat dog shit 3 times a day

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:30 pm

You're gonna have to do better than that if you're trying to kill his mind, Dodge.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Dodger

Post by Dodger » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:39 pm

i dont have to do shit you dumb ass fudge.
My breath stinks because I eat dog shit 3 times a day

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:02 am

My my, little boy knows how to use profanity. And to think, just last night Spider was commenting that it wasn't fair that he's never had the pleasure of banning someone.

Well, he missed his chance again. Poor Spider.

This is twice I've banned your pathetic little ass Dodger. Remember the last time when you were a little wannabe moderator at IPLY and I banned you then and had you demodded for telling Missy to "get back in the kitchen". Sometimes, you're almost comical in your semi-literate, semi-evolved way. Other times, you're the poster boy for sterilisation.

We won't miss you so try hard not to miss us.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:09 am

So, I take it that Gorth had pictures that would warp his mind or whatnot, so he lashed out randomly... and got banned?

Or was this strictly hypothetical? A hypothetical ban?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:13 am

No, it was most definately a real ban. We've all been a little tired of Dodger for a while now.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:23 pm

I think there's something seriously wrong with his head - bipolar or something. I mean, he was annoying before, but from that to practically begging to be banned. If he reads this, he should go to a psychologist. Or start taking his pills again.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:47 pm

I'm not sure if I should be amused or just nonchalant and say QED :lol:

Well, Dodger was not who I had in mind. All inspired by the good inspector Barnaby from one of those British tv crimis...

Ewen Brown
Location: stalking tink to catch his invisible martian antenas at work

Post by Ewen Brown » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:53 pm

as a general rule, i don't like dealing with hypothetical situations because usually the decision you would end up with in situations that fall under the category would depend on small details the the general hypothetical does not present

technically i suppose it would be fair to argue that it is ethically the equivalent of murder, destruction of someone's life intentionally sounds about right in falling under the category(of murder)(if the result could be suicide then i suppose even more so, something similar to driving someone to suicide using mind altering drugs)

but anyway, if you want to get rid of him, you probably shouldn't care about anything ethical, for it's likely that if there was a reason within ethical boundaries that you could have him removed by you would already apply that instead and so your desire for his removal is probably unethical from the beginning

(sorry, if i said anything that didn't make any sense, blame it on my very ill state of being or on the normal twisted workings of my minds)
stupidity causes violence

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:02 pm

Ewen Brown wrote:but anyway, if you want to get rid of him, you probably shouldn't care about anything ethical, for it's likely that if there was a reason within ethical boundaries that you could have him removed by you would already apply that instead and so your desire for his removal is probably unethical from the beginning
The short version of the show that made me think went like this... A person wants another persons estate and fortune. He can't kill the person because of the victims will or some such, however, if driven into insantiy (the victim has a medical history), the person will become appointed guardian for the victim with full powers.

Unfortunately, they ruin a good story by letting the person be discovered and leave a trail of real dead bodies in his wake, hence reducing it to a run of the mill murder case. I was sort of disappointed as I was curious to see how the story writers would have dealt with the morality if the villain had succeeded. Alas, no such luck.
Ewen Brown wrote:(sorry, if i said anything that didn't make any sense, blame it on my very ill state of being or on the normal twisted workings of my minds)
Thats Ok, we like you anyway :roll: