The fantasy litterature thread

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:11 pm

Neil Gaiman's novels are certainly worth reading. Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, Good Omens (written with Terry Pratchett) and the short story anthology Smoke And Mirrors.
And then there's a bunch of "kids books" as well which I haven't read yet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:12 pm

I REALLY want to try American Gods. It's in my top 5 of books to get...
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:45 pm

American Gods is quite good. It's not his best book (I think Neverwhere and Stardust were better), but "not his best" for Gaiman is still pretty damned good.
There are moments in it where you can easily imagine his smirking at his own cleverness, and some parts of the book seem a bit awkward - as though he stopped writing and came back to the same spot a few weeks later.
But, it's a great story and his handling of mythology is indeed very clever and a lot of fun. It's kind of neat to try and guess who everyone is, because it's often quite enigmatic. It's one of those books that while reading it I was a bit critical, but the memory of it is spectacular - it really lives on in the imagination, a lot like myths, I suppose.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:03 pm

Hm, I'm not much into fantasy, unless Star Wars books count...
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:07 pm

Star Wars *shudder* After reading one that involved space-lizards enslaving humans, I swore to never read a Star Wars book again. At least Bradbury had the excuse, that he wrote his stories several decades ago. It was like watching a monster flick from the thirties or forties.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:10 pm

I haven't read any "traditional" fantasy for a while. Right now I'm just finishing up The Silmarillion, so I guess that counts. Not really told in the manner of traditional fantasy, though.
When I was a kid I read the Dragonlance books (and have been feeling a strange nostalgia for them lately for some reason), and I gave the Wheel Of Time a good shot, but got bored. I may give it another go sometime, but that's a massive committment. A few people have recommended Guy Gavriel Kay to me.. Any thoughts?

Most of what I read that I'd call fantasy is also called weird fiction - H.P. Lovecraft, C.A. Smith, Algernon Blackwood, August Derleth and so on and so forth. Smith in particular is quite fantasy-like, as is Lord Dunsany.

Spider

Post by Spider » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:13 pm

Phosphor wrote:and I gave the Wheel Of Time a good shot, but got bored. I may give it another go sometime, but that's a massive committment.
Any writer spending 10,000+ pages telling ONE story without finishing it deserves to be shot!

Not to provoke Robert Jordan fans or anything...
:twisted:
Majestic wrote:Hm, I'm not much into fantasy, unless Star Wars books count...
It depends a lot on who you ask and if you're going by the original movies or the newer ones. Personally I consider Star Wars fantasy (just because it takes place in space it doesn't mean it can't be fantasy) or a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid. Though the newer movies that actually try to explain what the Force is moves it a lot closer towards sci-fi.

KC

Post by KC » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:34 pm

The Wheel of Time series is great at the first few books, but later on the sensation/variety is a big nono... Same is true for Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

I can recommend the L.E. Modesitt Recluce Series, Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar/Krondor Series and Mickey Zucker Reichert Renshai series.. All are different than the nono series mentioned above.
[b]Current inventory[/b]:
- Leather armor, leather jerkin, ragged pants
- Quality dagger (from the Task Master), blowpipe, dart quiver
- A gem bag filled with some gems, copper coins, a strange amulet, a silver medaillion

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:28 pm

Spider wrote:It depends a lot on who you ask and if you're going by the original movies or the newer ones. Personally I consider Star Wars fantasy (just because it takes place in space it doesn't mean it can't be fantasy) or a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid. Though the newer movies that actually try to explain what the Force is moves it a lot closer towards sci-fi.
Nah, I'm more into post Battle of Yavin books (notable exception would be the Han Solo trilogy), especially those written by Timothy Zhan.

Seems like I got lucky by not reading something about space lizards enslaving humans (unless this was referring to the Vong invasion).

For the record, I totally dislike the crimes Lucas has commited recently.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Silverbow

Post by Silverbow » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:57 pm

Spider wrote: Any writer spending 10,000+ pages telling ONE story without finishing it deserves to be shot!

Not to provoke Robert Jordan fans or anything...
:twisted:
Hm. Being *extremely* fast reader, I prefer long books, so no biggie :razz:

Tho some of my favs aren't uberlong (David Gemmel's books... tho they are all basically one series so maybe they are... hm. They uberpwn nonetheless. :razz: )
[b][i]The sky shall rain fire
The seas will boil red with blood
The righteous shall perish
At the hands of the wicked
And all the world shall tremble
Before the star-spangled banner of America

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

Spider

Post by Spider » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:49 pm

Silverbow wrote:Hm. Being *extremely* fast reader, I prefer long books, so no biggie :razz:
It's not so much that it takes time to read as that they should just finish the god damn story sometime.

I don't mind reading 10,000 pages from the same writer, in fact if I like a writer I tend to get a little obsessed.
:)

But endings is an important part of story-telling.

Silverbow

Post by Silverbow » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:17 pm

Spider wrote:It's not so much that it takes time to read as that they should just finish the god damn story sometime.

I don't mind reading 10,000 pages from the same writer, in fact if I like a writer I tend to get a little obsessed.
:)

But endings is an important part of story-telling.
That depends on the book. If I *really* like it I don't want it to end and *any* ending pisses me off :razz:
[b][i]The sky shall rain fire
The seas will boil red with blood
The righteous shall perish
At the hands of the wicked
And all the world shall tremble
Before the star-spangled banner of America

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:12 pm

right now i'm reading the fifth of barclay's raven series, not that outstanding literature just fast to read adventuring fantasy the way you'd want to play in dnd, though it's also a bit more realistic i find, in the sense that more head characters don't make it....

Series i've enjoyed the most reading in earlier years:
Eddings - Belgariad & Mallorean
May - Many Coloured Land
yeah well and of course the tolkien trilogy...

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:23 pm

I just finished the Silmarillion again and have started in one of my other favourites: Raymond Feist - Magician, which I like more than Tolkien. :)
Ruald,Cleric(STR&Plantdomain)Stats16,9,12,12,18,13MaxHp14CurHp5 MemSp lvl0 DtMag(0/2)RdMag(1/1)Light(1/1) lvl1 Bless(0/1)Doom(0/1)Sanct(0/1) Money 24g/4s/1c

Drachir

Post by Drachir » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:01 pm

My favourite fantasy series:

George R. R. Martin -->A song of Ice and Fire (not completed yet):
+ Not a lot of magic (nice for a change)
+ Characters are not good or evil, they're a bit between both
+ 'Evil' characters are written in a way that it is hard not to like (some of) them
+ Not afraid to let characters die
- A bit of a slow writer
- Sometimes a bit too much violence

Robin Hobb --> All three trilogies (completed):
+ Great characters
+ Great magic system
- The ending is a bit dissapointing

Steven Erikson --> Malazan Empire (not completed yet):
+ Great magic system
+ Original characters
+ Gods are involved in the story (quite actively)
[url=http://www.godhatesfigs.com/]God hates [color=green]Figs[/color], Proof![/url]

"... God sent the Israelites out into the wilderness for 40 years solely to keep them away from fig trees so they could cure their terrible fig dependence..."