Oscar Nominations

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Oscar Nominations

Post by Phosphor » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:26 pm

The Oscar nominations list has been released (http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/oscars/) and Return Of The King has scored the most nominations (11 in all) including Best Picture.
I can't help but be disappointed that no acting nominations have been made towards any of the cast. I think Sean Astin is more than deserving of a Supporting Actor nomination.

I can't get excited about any of the other movies listed, but it might prove an interesting list for discussion, hence my posting this.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Silverbow

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by Silverbow » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:36 pm

Phosphor wrote:I think Sean Astin is more than deserving of a Supporting Actor nomination.
Eh, who is that and whom did he play? :?
[b][i]The sky shall rain fire
The seas will boil red with blood
The righteous shall perish
At the hands of the wicked
And all the world shall tremble
Before the star-spangled banner of America

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:46 pm

Sam Gamgee.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Spider

Re: Oscar Nominations

Post by Spider » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:54 pm

Silverbow wrote:
Phosphor wrote:I think Sean Astin is more than deserving of a Supporting Actor nomination.
Eh, who is that and whom did he play? :?
Not to forget Mr Smith in Jeremiah...
(though that's a tv-series and nothing to get an Oscar for)
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

BossBandor

Post by BossBandor » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:45 pm

Do you think Lord of the Rings will actually win best picture, I mean when was the last time a fantasy movie won?

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:07 pm

i think it will, i think they already planned at the first movie (fellowship) to give them their oscars at the third 'magnum opus', also considering that alst two didn't win ost big ones, mainly special effects and such.
Though i must say it doesnt rightly follow the books, it still has to be made a movie, the trilogy that is... but that's a whole other thread

Petor23

Post by Petor23 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:42 am

It's unlikely, but I hope Keisha Castle Hughes wins best actress

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:57 am

Bernard Hill should win, damnit! Not even Tolkien wrote Theoden as well as Bernard played him!
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:04 pm

CatBoris wrote:Bernard Hill should win, damnit! Not even Tolkien wrote Theoden as well as Bernard played him!
Hill was really great and did indeed give a tertiary character a lot more power. Of course, part of that is thanks to Boyens and Walsh and their screenplay (which is nominated).
But the fact that ROTK is completely shut out of any acting awards is a bit odd.
But if it wins best picture, that'll be a great victory.