Methinks its time to move

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Methinks its time to move

Post by Joseph » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:58 pm

This has been in the back of my mind for a while and Noober's thread about moving out on his own for the first time (even though I moved out on my own 17 years ago) brought it to the forefront again.

When I first found this apartment, I told myself I'd be here for quite some time. Nice enough neighbourhood in what's known as "Old North" for this part of London. Well, after almost 2 years... I'm rethinking that.

For a flatmate, I have someone who for the most part, I simply can't stand. We're like that old show The Odd Couple. I'm not a "neat freak" but I like keep my place clean and organised. She just leaves everything she owns strewn around.

For a next door neighbour, I have a gossip mongering garbage picker. No kidding. He's the neighbourhood gossip and used to lead his kids up and down the street on garbage days, rummaging through other people's trash.

Down the street, I have a woman who changed my life, who inspired me to a depth of emotion I didn't think mysef capable of and moved me beyond what any other woman ever has. Yet she is either a frightened child, afraid of love or a gamester with a cold, hard, heart of stone.

The lease is up in a few months. I've previously considered keeping the apartment on my own but there's better out there for less and I'm thinking that the positives I once saw here are far outweighed now.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:57 am

No room-mate=good.

Lousy neighbours are inevitable.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Noober

Post by Noober » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:01 pm

Phosphor wrote:Lousy neighbours are inevitable.
True.

We already have a couple.

The Ukranian psycho-lady two houses down beats them all though.
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:48 pm

I want to live out in the country where my only neighbours are wildlife.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:51 pm

No roommies does indeed = good. In fact, I'd forgotten how good until the past two years. At the time it was practical, save money. Now... it's more like "willing to pay any price to save my sanity".

Lousy neighbours aren't always the case but this moron next door is... the most interesting one I've had in a while.

And living out in the country has long been my goal.

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:49 pm

Lousy neighbours are always the case. It's inevitable.. As long as you are surrounded by people, at least some of them will be irritating.

Yian

Post by Yian » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:58 am

don't turn into a hermit though! ;)
but I agree man, after a few years,one must move... discover new culture, people... before it's too late! :O
R.I.P. - RGT - LGS - BIS

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Hermit=ideal dream.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:54 am

Yian wrote:don't turn into a hermit though! ;)
but I agree man, after a few years,one must move... discover new culture, people... before it's too late! :O
Well, moving to another neighbourhood doesn't = discovering new culture.

As for being a hermit... In a sense I may as well be one already. Though I can play the social game at work, for my private life, I prefer to keep my circle of friends small. Most people simply aren't worth my time.
Phosphor wrote:Hermit=ideal dream.
Indeed. :cool:

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:49 pm

If I could, I'd move to a quiet pub with a T1 line...
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:36 am

That has possibilities. :)

But right now, I'm just having issues moving around the apartment or to and from work. I've been right bloody exhausted the past 2 weeks.

I wouldn't even have the strength to move from my place to the pub. It's 8:36 PM here and I'm bloody tired.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:59 am

Still living with my father and sister, although my mother went nuts four years ago and i havent seen her in three years or simular...Dog died tow weeks ago. I dont think I shall move out yet!

Although Got Greek and Albanina neighbours on my floor, Althoguh when we moved here we ahd gypsys! Was not much good coming from them...

Whole damn block and all around is full of people from middl east and Balkan. If I ever move it shall not be in this part of town...heck I think I even leave the town!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:10 am

Lord sadness wrote:...Got Greek and Albanina neighbours on my floor, Althoguh when we moved here we ahd gypsys! Was not much good coming from them...
Ouch, poor you :(

There are similar neighbourhoods in some danish towns. Tends to turn into regular ghettos. Getting away from there would be first among my priorities.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:23 am

Hmm... interesting. Gorth bolded "greeks" and left Albanians untouched.

I wonder if that has anything to do with my affection for certain things Albanian and my tendency to title some of my songs, indeed, even my rank tag, in Albanian. Hmm. Interesting... but then I'm probably reading too much into it. Gorth and tact? Too strange a combination for me to handle.

BTW, remember always the 12th Commandment of Our Lord Fish:

XII) Thou shalt taunt, ridicule and maketh fun of greeks where ever thou shalt find them for they art a sad lot of toga wearing sheep sodomising feta eating olive pickers.

As such, official Winterwind policy is that when using the word/name "greek" it must never be capitalised.

I have adjusted the language filter accordingly.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:05 am

What the!? greek? The Romans had togas too

and yes... Gorth! I better move to survive! :)