The "What's new with you?" thread

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

The "What's new with you?" thread

Post by Joseph » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:36 am

As mentioned in the editorial, a lot of us around here have made some changes lately so I figured what the hell, just like in grade school when the teacher expected you to tell the class how you spent your summer hols, we'll have this thread...

So, what's new with me?

Personally, I'm coming off of a year that changed me more than any other in my life. And... I still just don't get it. There is so much left unspoken, so much left undone, so much unresolved and a simple honest truth that continues to dance away and elude my grasp. And still, I long for that truth, long for those answers, long to look into the eyes of the woman who holds that truth in her heart...

Professionally, I took the last two summers off because I really wanted time to re-examine my priorities and what I want. And... I hadn't taken a vacation from work since 1994, when I took a month off to go to BC. Work over a decade with only a few weekend trips here and there and tell me I was lazy. I dare you. Bloody entitled to a break is more like it.

Now, I've made what I consider a wise, solid career move. I've accepted a position with one of Canada's top banks. The two jobs since last summer were tolerable only temporarily, never part of my long term plans. This position offers me a lot of opportunity to move, both within the company and around the continent. While I'll be dealing with client's finances and investments, I don't see myself as a "banker". In fact, I made quite clear to them during my final interview that I wanted to move into the Human Resources side, ideally as a corporate trainer. I was told I impressed them with that.

Obviously, going back to school didn't happen.. yet. But then the bank will also pay for schooling to if it relates to business and the HR courses I want do... :)

So, we'll see how it pans out. I also would like to rekindle my passion for my music and writing. I've got a lot of rust to scrape off there. A lot of rust. I really got into a rut the past couple years. Mid-life crisis in my early 30s. 30 was great but at 31, things got strange. At 33 it feels good to be getting back to me.

Dear Sweet Merciful Fish...

I'm going to be 34 three months from today!!! :shock:

Hmm, ya know, this oughta be interesting. When I was a kid, the "magic" age I wanted to be was 34. That was the age of Captain Kirk when he first got command of the Enterprise and as a kid, I figured that was a good age to be... :D

Sargallath Abraxium
Title: The Great Cornholio

Post by Sargallath Abraxium » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:49 am

...well, I got engaged 3 years ago this December 31st...Susan was pregnant but we lost the baby (it was a boy)...we've delayed the wedding 3 times now (first cuz of her mom's cancer, then cuz it came back, then cuz of the miscarriage)...I got promoted twice in the last 2 years...I quit drinkin' (believe it or not)...an' I preordered the NWN2 Limited Edition (somethin' I swore I'd never do)...that's 'bout it... :twisted:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...
ImageImageImage

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:04 am

Condolences on your loss Sargy. You and Ruathavril seems to share some common fate there.

On the other hand, congratulations on the quitting and the promotions :haksthumbsup:

I guess my own life runs along the way it has been for a long while now. Always travelling, alsways searching, never really finding what I'm looking for. Of course it would help if I knew that I'm looking for. A purpose ? New experiences ? Just seeing what is over the next hill ? No idea really.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:22 pm

quite the same here too, the universiyt season has started again, and i'm following a few courses, nearing the end of my bachelor degree. Did move into a new room, which is about 1.5 the size of my old one and has this wooden structure in it that gives me a second floor to put my bed & clothes.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Noober

Post by Noober » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:15 pm

My sympathies Sargallath.

It feels like yesterday, but two years ago i lost someone very close to me. I always feel a little sad when i hear stories like yours.

Started workin in accountin after my summer vacation. I've largely been around amazingly boring people since then, so now i'm starting to get boring my self.

I'll be done working for Faroese Telecom come november. Not sure what i'll be doing after that, but one thing's for sure: I will start on some education next year. As is, i'm mostly thinking about a marketing education in the Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen. But i'm also thinking about something resembling the academic a bit more.

Moved in with my girlfriend. We're renting a nice little house in Sandavágur (a neighboring town) for the second consecutive month now, but i'm starting to get the feeling that i'm paying too much for too little. I think i'm being *i have potty mouth*. In the a...
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:52 am

Sorry to hear that Sargy. You and Ruathavril, sadly, share a common pain.

For myself, one thing that's really new for me is that lately, I'm feeling stronger and more positive than I have in almost 3 years. I really like my job, so far, better than any job I've had yet. And I'm getting back a lot of myself that I've lost and... I've rediscovered the lost art of smiling.

For the longest time, I've just felt tired, worn out and wearied. I'd look in the mirror and see a shadow of who I used to be.

I don't know what it is but... I'm feeling good again. Better than I have in ages.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:09 am

*sigh*

I'm also feeling exhausted. Information overload. Dealing with day to day finances, credit and investments... I mean, I already had a good understanding of the industry and actually studied for my CSC (Canadian Securities Course) a few years back (just never wrote the exam) but... learning all the product knowledge, plus the bank's systems (software) is exhausting. I come home from work and... I'm tired. Except when I go shopping.

We are living in the material world and I am a material girl... er... guy... er, wait, no, I'm not...

HELP!!!

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:28 am

It's called "Living" :D

It can be quite pleasant at times. Just make sure to balance the workload bit or you will end up forgetting what it was you wanted to spend your hard earned money on :haksthumbsup:

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:22 am

My condolences to both Sargy and Ruath, first and foremeost.

Second of all, I feel almost dirty for saying this, but for the first time in ages (in two years, actually) I have this deep feeling of contentment. Not happiness, since I find it is very fleeting, but feeling truly... eh, stoic? I know that if I were to "kick the bucket" as it were, today, I would die a content man, with only a few regrets, one of them being not having asked my soon-to-be neighbour out on a date (something I'm still working up the courage to), and the other not finishing university. But apart from that, I have no serious care in the world, and in three years time, even those will be far away in the horizon.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:36 pm

cleared bushes in my backyard for 5 hours then put sealer on my driveway.

I really hate cars
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:19 pm

I've been thinking about getting a car (or even better, a motorcycle) the last few years. It's just that, I'm sure the first roundabout will get me killed. I'll never get used to this left hand side driving :?

@Catboris: Whatever happened to your university expedition?

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:36 am

There are three years left, which would be why I haven't finished yet ;) It was written from the perspective if I was to die *today* - well, yesterday really. Actually, the day before...
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:49 am

CatBoris wrote:Second of all, I feel almost dirty for saying this, but for the first time in ages (in two years, actually) I have this deep feeling of contentment. Not happiness, since I find it is very fleeting...
I think I have an idea of how you feel. There are times when I feel "guilty" if I seem to be feeling ok, like it must be at the expense of another. Or, when I am feeling good, like I have been lately, it's brought back down to Earth right away by something that happens to someone else.

I also believe happiness to be fleeting. But I also believe that it can be sustained, in the sense finding of "inner peace".

The thing there is finding it. Some of us never do. Some of us spend our entire lives running, never being able to look within ourselves and reconcile what we see with what we think should be.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:58 am

CatBoris wrote:There are three years left, which would be why I haven't finished yet ;) It was written from the perspective if I was to die *today* - well, yesterday really. Actually, the day before...
Duh! Gorth... :roll:

Well, may you live to get many university degrees then :wink:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:26 pm

This is probably a really "gay" thing for a man my age to say but...

I finally got my name tag for the bank today and it made me smile. There was even a fleeting warm and fuzzy moment. Hell, it kind of made me happy. I'll explain:

First, they got my name right, spelled correctly (yes, I've seen companies mis-spell "Joseph") and they got the hyphen in as well.

Second, I just smiled, which my boss noticed so I explained that when I was a little kid and watched Mary Poppins, I had said I wanted to be a banker. We had a good laugh and she said "a childhood dream come true" so, yeah, that's really gay but... uh... nevermind...