The anime thread!

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Lord Tingeling

The anime thread!

Post by Lord Tingeling » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:02 pm

Well, I'm my quest to become WW's number one Otaku, I give you this utterly useless thread. Of course, Pinky is still stronger in the Force, but I my power grows as we speak! Uh, yeah. As we speak. yeah. :look:

Ahem. Anyway, here's the place for all manga/anime related fluff. Do you like it? Do you hate it? Did you just watch something extraordinary you want to share with the rest of the WW junkies? If so, just spill it.

Anyway, I've just watched episode 15 of Rorourin Kenshin (note the avatar), aka Samurai X. All I can say is... wow. totally awesome! I've also managed to get hold of some episodes of the Rockman BattleNetwork anime, which I watch when I need something more "mainstream", so to speak.

Well, I'm even planning to check out One Piece soon. I'll just have to try to ignore the fact that Petey likes it. :P
-- Canadians. So mellow. So laid back. So gay.

This post may contain nuts.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:07 pm

I don't like anime very much at all, really. There've been a few exceptions (Akira, Princess Mononoke), but for the most part it gets on my nerves. Mainly I severly dislike the graphic style - anime is just stupid-looking in my eyes, and the themes that it seems to explore don't interest me.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Lord Tingeling

Post by Lord Tingeling » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:12 pm

Well, what "areas" are you hinting at, excatly? Thing is, anime/manga deals with a vast number of subjects, much like ordinary film. Of course, the trickle that reaches us isn't even remotely close to the variety that exists in Japan, so I can understand your viewpoint.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:36 pm

Anime sucks.

Where is Pinky anyhow???

Lord Tingeling

Post by Lord Tingeling » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:40 pm

Dunno. Probably meditating behind a waterfall or something.

And when I want your oppinion on the world's greatest invention, I'll ask for it, old man. <instert fitting emoticon here>

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:05 pm

Lord Tingeling wrote:Well, what "areas" are you hinting at, excatly? Thing is, anime/manga deals with a vast number of subjects, much like ordinary film. Of course, the trickle that reaches us isn't even remotely close to the variety that exists in Japan, so I can understand your viewpoint.
Well, anime always seems to deal with:
-demons
-vampires
-robots
-ninjas
-sex
-assorted supernatural miscellany
-various combinations of the above

Now, I have nothing against these things per se, but anime always looks to treat it in the same manner (and the animation is always the same, too). Add to the fact that I'm not a big animation fan in the first place, so the whole anime experience for me is pretty much a situation if dislike.
Did I mention I really don't like the look of anime?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

kumquatq3

Post by kumquatq3 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:08 pm

Phosphor would be all over anime if only it had more people exploding while planting flowers! :)

Not a anime fan myself. Closest I've come to it is collecting comic books when I was younger.

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:16 pm

kumquatq3 wrote:Phosphor would be all over anime if only it had more people exploding while planting flowers! :)
:haksthumbsup: Hilarity would ensue.

Spider

Post by Spider » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:49 pm

Some anime is good, some is really really poor.

It's true that you have to like the animation-style or you're doomed from the get go since they're more aiming for speed than quality when it comes to that.

I like some anime, but hate some. Of the three big movies (Ghost in the Shell, Akira and Ninja Scroll) I only really liked Ghost in the Shell while I found Ninja Scroll to be so-so and Akira to be horrendous. Seriously what does everyone like about it?

The manga on the other hand is pretty good, at least what I've read.

Though personally I'm much more interested in the series. I definitely recommend Record of Lodoss Wars and Neon Genesis Evangelion to anyone, they are both really good.
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:58 pm

I loved Akira. I read and collected the comic books prior to the film coming out, so that probably influenced my liking of the film. Ninja Scroll did nothing for me at all and Ghost In The Shell put me to sleep. It was interesting and all, but didn't exactly compel me to keep watching as it didn't go anywhere I hadn't seen or read before.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:17 pm

I stand by my first post in this thread.

Lord Tingeling

Post by Lord Tingeling » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:21 am

Phosphor wrote:
Lord Tingeling wrote:Well, what "areas" are you hinting at, excatly? Thing is, anime/manga deals with a vast number of subjects, much like ordinary film. Of course, the trickle that reaches us isn't even remotely close to the variety that exists in Japan, so I can understand your viewpoint.
Well, anime always seems to deal with:
-demons
-vampires
-robots
-ninjas
-sex
-assorted supernatural miscellany
-various combinations of the above
Not exactly. But you have to go to Japan to see everything. What's out here is not always a clear indication on what the genre is all about.

BossBandor

Post by BossBandor » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:44 am

Thank god there's an anime thread now! I AM ONE of the biggest otakus here! I've been watching anime from the 60's when I was little to anime now.

Some anime I reccomend:
anything by hayao miyazaki (sprited away, princess mononoke, castle in the sky)
Cowboy Bebop (series, not the movie)
Trigun
Lupin III
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Excel Saga
loads of oldies

Just remember folks I'm one of the best connoisseur in this business.

Lord Tingeling

Post by Lord Tingeling » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:07 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about NG Evangelion.

I'd also like to recommend Rorourin Kenshin (Samurai X in the US), which is IMO a really good series.

Just watched episode 17. Totally hilarious, especially when Kenshin shows off the "secret technique" of the Hiten Mitsurigi style... with an umbrella.

Silverbow

Re: The anime thread!

Post by Silverbow » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:22 pm

Lord Tingeling wrote:Well, I'm even planning to check out One Piece soon. I'll just have to try to ignore the fact that Petey likes it. :P
OMG what is this world coming to? :shock:

Tho at least it doesn't deal with demons, vampires, robots, ninjas, sex or assorted supernatural miscellany. :mrgreen:
[b][i]The sky shall rain fire
The seas will boil red with blood
The righteous shall perish
At the hands of the wicked
And all the world shall tremble
Before the star-spangled banner of America

--G.W. Bush-- [/b][/i]