Typos on the internet: Do they count?

Day to day, down the street and around the world

How big a deal are typos on forum posts/chats?

Spelling counts
33%
It counts, to a point
44%
Who cares
No votes
I'm hihgly edumacted
22%

Total votes: 9

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Typos on the internet: Do they count?

Post by Joseph » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:02 pm

While I usually make some effort at correct spelling/grammar, Gorth's recent use of a post of mine with a typo for his sig has lead to this poll.

In an article on a site etc, yes, I believe that proper spelling/grammar is important (depending on the intent of the article of course). But... how important is it on forum posts, instant messengers etc? How anal should we be, considering, at least in my case and others no doubt, people online are often multi-tasking and typing for speed and what's a little typo between friends.

Oddly, while I generally don't care much about my own, I have a strange tendency to edit other people's posts to correct their typos.

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:07 pm

people who do typos on the internet should be barred from procreation. That is, if they had a chance at it anyway

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Well, I guess you and I are both off to the sterilisation clinic.

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Josan wrote:Well, I guess you and I are both off to the sterilisation clinic.
me do typoes? Unpossible

edit: I see what you did there you power abusing bastard

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:35 pm

I didn't do anything. And you still have the same three mistakes in your post though I don't know what you've edited.

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:04 pm

Josan wrote:I didn't do anything. And you still have the same three mistakes in your post though I don't know what you've edited.
conscious disregard for grammar doesn't qualify as a typo

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Spell right if you can. If you don't know how to spell a word use a syno-- synom-- synono-- easier word that means the same thing. For example, I always forget how to spell "ammount" whether it has one m or two. Hence, I always use the word "quantity" instead.

If you make a typo, unless it is something glaringly stupid, or if it changes the word to something else, it shouldn't really count.

My friend, Jeff, shouldn't use big words. When he does, he sometimes gets the nearly right word. I can't think of any examples at the moment, but they exist.

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:09 am

I think it matters anywhere. Ignorance breeds ignorance, it grows up with ignorance and is fed up with ignorance and before we know it the majority of people are ignorant and since majority rules.. erm.. just forget it.

I do remember a Google search, where I was looking for information about the 3D engine used in Broken Sword: The Angel of Death, which is called Emmersion.. must have been thousands of links with typos or ignorance. And Google indexes anything and everything.. And some people think it's not the Evil Empire.. Amazing.
Josan wrote:I didn't do anything. And you still have the same three mistakes in your post though I don't know what you've edited.
And don't worry about it, it's not like we didn't see it coming it's just that we didn't see it.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:42 am

Hey, you could just edit my sig, you know? :roll:

I think, in an environment where you don't have the benefit of studying bodylanguage, the way you express yourself in writing is everything. Being it verbose, brief, sarcastic, sloppy, humorous etc.

Your writing becomes who you are in the community :)

Edit: Voted "It counts, to a point ". Genuine mistakes happens.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

John Arkham

Post by John Arkham » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:01 am

I don't have a probelm with typsos unlees you cannot undertsand teh sentecne.
John Arkham - possible athiest, maybe theist, likely agnostic and unashamed mystic!

[img]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/Flamehater/france2.jpg[/img]

Al the Apostle

Post by Al the Apostle » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:46 am

I also voted "It counts, to a point".

As Gorth the Wise says, mistakes do happen and on forums, informal places of gathering, they should matter not.

Especially if one has a wonky keyboard and the keys stick or if one has large fingers and double keys. or if one is typing to make a point quickly and has other things to distract them or occupy their time... unless one has no life and lives at their computer, in which case... one needs to get a life.
V) Honour thy single celled Amoeba that thine days shall be long in the Aquarium, for they were the first of the Lord thy Fish's Children.

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:49 am

Gorth wrote:Your writhing becomes who you are in the community :) (edited)
That too.. :lol:

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:52 pm

Ai aqriee width teh men form Akhram, ass lnog one cen udsternad the mneagin of the psot tehre is no plobrem ad al.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Unless you mangle the language beyond repair, like our fair Dutchy up there... :)
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

hankinator

Post by hankinator » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:03 pm

Of course it counts, to a point. I have a hard time taking anybody seriously if they can't bother to use correct English. The occasional typo from someone who is usually clear and concise in their writing is one thing, but people who constantly fudge up things like their/there/they're and its/it's/and, God forbid, the totally non-existant its', especially in a serious discussion, just causes me to make a mental note to not take anything that person says seriously.
[b][i][color=red]Let opinion be taken away, and no man will think himself wronged. If no man shall think himself wronged, then is there no more any such thing as wrong.[/color][/b][/i]