Random events of the day

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Random events of the day

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:39 am

Ah, you've been busy. Fantastic hearing from you. And to think I was going to toss the forums when I decided to relaunch WW. Glad I didn't else I wouldn't have heard from you.

So... tell us about the girl. ;)

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 pm

What up Gorth! :D

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:48 pm

Marcus wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:03 pm
Whats holistic medicine?
Mostly a sham, but it could work if your troubles are psychosomatic, i.e. you're a real nutjob. :p
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 am

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 pm
What up Gorth! :D
Joseph wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:39 am
So... tell us about the girl. ;)
Yeah, wasn't sure if I should have mentioned it, because no, we are not a "romantic couple" or lovers or anything of the sort :lol:

We just happens to be close friends doing a lot of stuff together, like musicals, concerts, movies etc. on a regular basis. Latest thing we did was to see Bill "Dr. Venkman" Murray and Jan Vogler perform in the Sydney Opera house.

One of the concerts we went to (we are somewhere close to the front of the stage, but sadly, you can't see us)

https://youtu.be/nmSoY3g0pQY

The thing is, she's half my age and anything more than friends would honestly start getting on the creepier side of things. Not that it stops us from having a good time together.

As for online, still moderating on the Obsidian forums, the new game, "The Outer Worlds" by Cain and Boyarsky looks promising, can't wait for it to get released.

Otherwise I mostly play MMO's these days. Dropped swtor and started playing Guild Wars 2. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Time also seems to be running away from forums.... just as forums replaced the old Usenet discussion discussion groups (rec.games.interplay !) it looks like other media like reddit, twitter etc. slowly encroach on the traditional forum roles. These days I'm mostly active on Discord (checking what everything from Obsidian to various friends and guild servers are up to there).

Edit: These days I mostly seem to go by the name of 'Macroth' (because that was my main character in swtor and on Discord). In case anyone else uses Discord, look me up at Macroth#4528
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:02 am

majestic wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:48 pm
Marcus wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:03 pm
Whats holistic medicine?
Mostly a sham, but it could work if your troubles are psychosomatic, i.e. you're a real nutjob. :p
We are talking about Marcus... ;)

Seriously though, Marcus, at this stage, I'm sure you'd try anything. Medical science is good for some things, placebos and the power of the mind are good for others and some of what's considered holistic works, some is bullocks.
Gorth wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 am

Yeah, wasn't sure if I should have mentioned it, because no, we are not a "romantic couple" or lovers or anything of the sort :lol:

We just happens to be close friends doing a lot of stuff together, like musicals, concerts, movies etc. on a regular basis. Latest thing we did was to see Bill "Dr. Venkman" Murray and Jan Vogler perform in the Sydney Opera house.

One of the concerts we went to (we are somewhere close to the front of the stage, but sadly, you can't see us)

https://youtu.be/nmSoY3g0pQY

The thing is, she's half my age and anything more than friends would honestly start getting on the creepier side of things. Not that it stops us from having a good time together.

As for online, still moderating on the Obsidian forums, the new game, "The Outer Worlds" by Cain and Boyarsky looks promising, can't wait for it to get released.

Otherwise I mostly play MMO's these days. Dropped swtor and started playing Guild Wars 2. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Time also seems to be running away from forums.... just as forums replaced the old Usenet discussion discussion groups (rec.games.interplay !) it looks like other media like reddit, twitter etc. slowly encroach on the traditional forum roles. These days I'm mostly active on Discord (checking what everything from Obsidian to various friends and guild servers are up to there).
Last real gaming I did was Black Ops 3. Bought it because I thought my wife would enjoy the zombies mode since she loves all kinds of silly zombie shows. She hated zombies. Literally got panicked and screamed the first few times and only wanted to play multi-player matches. I got good" as the kids say, got my dark matter camo, got bored, started hunting campers all the time or doing jump shots with sniper rifles then we sold the Play Station and haven't looked back.

And Gorth, I've heard about those May-December romances... not that you're December. ;) But hey, a good friendship is worth a lot more than running the risk of losing the friendship by complicating it with a relationship.

I lurk a bit on a couple of forums, the TrekBBS (which usually is just not worth reading or posting on), a Gretsch forum since I love Gretsch guitars and tweet a bit., mainly to try rebuilding the account for the sake of re-launching the site soon.

So... how did you wind up strolling back this way? Does majestic frequent Obsidian and he told you? Did you just do one of those "Whatever happened to" and pop in randomly?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 am

I to often think Im to analyzing of things, I be suprised if a placebo would work on me. Maybe if I manage to convince myself with the proper mindset.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:23 am

Well... you're not supposed to know when it's a placebo. It's a sugar pill but the quack... er... doctor tells you it's whatever and your mind does the rest.

At least that's the way it worked in that M*A*S*H episode. ;)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:24 am

Joseph wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:02 am
So... how did you wind up strolling back this way? Does majestic frequent Obsidian and he told you? Did you just do one of those "Whatever happened to" and pop in randomly?
It actually was one of those "Whatever happened to" moments. I was shocked when I realised how long it was since I had stopped by. Moving country every now and then can do that to you I guess :oops:

I do see Majestic lurking on the Obsidian forums once in a blue moon, but no, he didn't tell me to move my lazy butt over here and say hello :)

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 am

PS: My favourite Zombie Shooter is a co-op game called "Killing Floor 2". I've put an embarrassing number of hours into that game. It's easy to learn and particularly fun if you have a few online friends to team up with (instead of groups of random internet strangers).

Edit: When we play games together (including a few shared real life friends) we play Age of Empires 2 and Borderlands 2. Lately we started Borderlands 2: The Pre-Sequel and trying out a few other games every now and then (another friend and I found Saints Row III and Portal 2 to have been particularly fun as team play)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Gorth wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 am
PS: My favourite Zombie Shooter is a co-op game called "Killing Floor 2". I've put an embarrassing number of hours into that game. It's easy to learn and particularly fun if you have a few online friends to team up with (instead of groups of random internet strangers).

Edit: When we play games together (including a few shared real life friends) we play Age of Empires 2 and Borderlands 2. Lately we started Borderlands 2: The Pre-Sequel and trying out a few other games every now and then (another friend and I found Saints Row III and Portal 2 to have been particularly fun as team play)
I used to put a lot of hours into AoE2. When I saw it on Steam I got it... then remembered why I stopped playing it. Normal is too easy but any other setting and the pc opponents are maxed almost before you can advance your town centre for the first time.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Gorth wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:24 am
I do see Majestic lurking on the Obsidian forums once in a blue moon, but no, he didn't tell me to move my lazy butt over here and say hello :)
Lurking? Granted compared to my activity level on Interplay I am "lurking" but that was something... else.

We did have an Interplay nostalgia bout in WOT a while ago where I linked the site when we talked about Interplay spin-offs with Amentep. I'm not too sure who else is registered here that's still around on the Obsidian board.

Edit:

I checked the first two member pages here. Silverbow's married now and barely active on G3's. Sammael posted like one post in 5+ years on the Obsidian forum and I stopped after seeing tarna and Visceris.

That was a hammer that drove a few points home. It's been such a long time, and we've lost good people along the way. :(
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:00 pm

majestic wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:48 pm
Gorth wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:24 am
Lurking? Granted compared to my activity level on Interplay I am "lurking" but that was something... else.

We did have an Interplay nostalgia bout in WOT a while ago where I linked the site when we talked about Interplay spin-offs with Amentep. I'm not too sure who else is registered here that's still around on the Obsidian board.

Edit:

I checked the first two member pages here. Silverbow's married now and barely active on G3's. Sammael posted like one post in 5+ years on the Obsidian forum and I stopped after seeing tarna and Visceris.

That was a hammer that drove a few points home. It's been such a long time, and we've lost good people along the way. :(
I have very fond memories of the old IPLY/BIS boards. I miss those days and yes, sadly we've lost a few good people.

Hehehe I still remember creating alt accounts to start flame wars with people that walked the line and we couldn't ban then... until the flamed back then I'd ban them and my alt just for appearances. Ah, good times.

And the time me and Val... and you I think... adopted Nazi avatars and changed our ranks to Forum Nazi when the writing was on the wall and bloody IPLY starts closing non-gaming forums.

Oh, and I remember when Mel first became a SuperMod and accidentally deleted some subforum or something. Ah memories.

I still touch base with Sandi aka KraziKat sometimes on Facebook. Was still in touch with Damien aka Puuk until 2016 when he just disappeared from online. I hope he and his family are alright. We were good friends then he just vanished.

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Say hello to Sandi from me and thank her again for the free game she scored us back when we were moderating the Interplay forums. Even if it ended up being Lionheart. :)

And yeah, I still have that Nazi avatar on my external backup disk (it was Göring).

Imagine us doing something similar these days. The forums would be axed in an instance with apologies on Twitter and lifetime bans for everyone of us. Hah. Heh.

Interplay always threatened to kill a forum or two though. The Fallout boards were a prime candidate with all the colourful posters they attracted.

If I remember correctly Pirotess and Mistress left the forums because Interplay ended up not axing YOP. And Silverbow resigned his mod position over something, but hell if I know what. It should be in my ICQ history. Not going to install ICQ though, if it even exists, just to look it up. :p

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 pm

I never even finished Lionheart. But when they were closing shop she also sent me two unopened copies of Torment, a Planescape mousepad and a copy of the Torment novel... which was written before the game was released and bore little resemblance to the game's story. They're still in a box in the closest that gets moved every time I do.

Sandi rocks. I remember she brought a few of us over to mod on the Sammy Studios/Highmoon forums but it just wasn't the same and none of us even played their games. She's completely out of the industry now. Her and Terry moved east to North Carolina. They have two kids if I'm remembering right. And she's in real estate now. I'll pass your thanks along. :)

And yeah, what we did would have been a total scandal.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 pm

Wow, Sandi sounds like an awesome lady.

People today are really offended by everything. A pity!