Random events of the day

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Re: Random events of the day

Post by Marcus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Well! True for me, I was also away for a while. So I guess I missed that part!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Tweaked the site a bit today. Did a new banner yesterday so Winterwind would have the same look on the FB, Twitter and YouTube accounts (and even got a like via FB on the new art from our old co-admin here, Valqorez).

Then I added the new banner to the main site here... but the shade of blue clashed badly with the old dark grey. So I had to crawl through files and figure out where to change the colours of the nav bars and headers. Then I had to do something to change the textured background because it matched the old dark grey.

Sigh... I'm not a web designer/developer but it'll do for now. I just wish I knew where to go to eliminate, or at least reduce that "drop shadow" effect on the borders of the website.

But, it's a facelift and colour change for now and it's a brighter look. I've got a local lady that will be re-vamping it for me later this spring.

https://www.winterwind-productions.com/

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Joseph wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:39 am
Hey you been posting some in the last 5 years.
I didn't say I wasn't here. I said I was barely here. Take 2018 for example. Before I decided, just after Christmas, not to close the forums, I posted in January 2018 then not again until August, then not again until late December. I'd say that constitutes not really being here all the much. :razz:
I think I can relate a bit... My internet activity became almost non existing from 2017 to 2018, Fionavar even messaged me on Linked-in to check if I was still alive :oops:

Eventually I ran into this nice person who convinced me that life was too good to throw away and that maybe there was still a point to it all. Shook myself out of my stupor, rolled up the sleeves and tried to pick up a few things where I had left them.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:07 am

Gorth wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:32 pm
Joseph wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:39 am
Hey you been posting some in the last 5 years.
I didn't say I wasn't here. I said I was barely here. Take 2018 for example. Before I decided, just after Christmas, not to close the forums, I posted in January 2018 then not again until August, then not again until late December. I'd say that constitutes not really being here all the much. :razz:
I think I can relate a bit... My internet activity became almost non existing from 2017 to 2018, Fionavar even messaged me on Linked-in to check if I was still alive :oops:

Eventually I ran into this nice person who convinced me that life was too good to throw away and that maybe there was still a point to it all. Shook myself out of my stupor, rolled up the sleeves and tried to pick up a few things where I had left them.
Nice people are out there. Rare but out there.

As for what is and isn't worth living for, that's totally subjective. I don't think there is any great point. I don't even believe in karma anymore. But this is too deep a subject when I haven't even downed half of my first coffee. ;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Not sure where my own life will take me, it feels like it been a hamster wheel the last 5 to 10 years. Im suprised at people just going "JUST DOIT" or "Just MOVE". It's not just up and leave all we have. Hopefully I be back into studies this autumn but my health is wonky, both physically and mentally I guess im depressed, tired mentally and similar.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:33 am

Depression seems quite common these days. But then look at the world we live in. Economically, environmentally, socially, politically... it's a mess. I love me my Star Trek but I don't see us reaching that better future where we've eliminated poverty, hunger and war any time soon.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:43 am

War will always be there. If we reach a warless society, that I think is when we somehow ascend to a religion and ideology free society that adjust accordingly to what is needed, not to what people feel ALWAYS need to be there.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:09 am

Marcus wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:43 am
War will always be there. If we reach a warless society, that I think is when we somehow ascend to a religion and ideology free society that adjust accordingly to what is needed, not to what people feel ALWAYS need to be there.
I wish we could free ourselves of religion. I simply shake my head that people still believe in primitive fairy tales. May as well believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. Sure, religion did some good historically. It tried to instill a moral code, which is great, but we`re in the 21st century. It`s long past time we outgrew those superstitious beliefs and accepted responsibility for ourselves and our actions. Seriously, ancient alien theories are actually more plausible than believing the gods of any religious faith.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:49 pm

Joseph wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:09 am
Marcus wrote:
I wish we could free ourselves of religion. I simply shake my head that people still believe in primitive fairy tales. May as well believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. Sure, religion did some good historically. It tried to instill a moral code, which is great, but we`re in the 21st century. It`s long past time we outgrew those superstitious beliefs and accepted responsibility for ourselves and our actions. Seriously, ancient alien theories are actually more plausible than believing the gods of any religious faith.
If it is proved Alien life given us these legends...there be people who will start praying to them! :haha:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Marcus wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:49 pm
Joseph wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:09 am
Marcus wrote:
If it is proved Alien life given us these legends...there be people who will start praying to them! :haha:
Sigh... so sad because it`s so true.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:32 pm

I believe (pun unintended) that it's part of human nature, this need to identify yourself as part of something. Whether it's being nation states, religion, philosophy (political or otherwise), we just seem to have this need to identify us as something. Social Darwinism in action?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:14 am

Gorth wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:32 pm
I believe (pun unintended) that it's part of human nature, this need to identify yourself as part of something. Whether it's being nation states, religion, philosophy (political or otherwise), we just seem to have this need to identify us as something. Social Darwinism in action?
I do believe so too. Communism with the person cult, even football teams can make people cult like. I argued at a seminary once at uni that football teams and similar taken the place of religion but they work in similar way of "belonging" to something that motivates on a higher ground than a normal Human would. That search for a higher purpose. No matter how silly or crazy it is.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:42 am

Gorth wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:32 pm
My wife and I are both... well, loners isn't the right word. We enjoy interacting with others, we hope for the best in humanity. We're not misanthropes but... all you have to do is read the news any given day or go for a walk downtown and kind of wish you have a cabin and the woods and could go off grid and just life a quiet life in peace.

Nation states, religion, meh. That does nothing for me. I suppose I have the occasional patriotic stirring when I think of Canada or Britain in WWII fighting the good fight but... Well, nationalism and patriotism are artificial constructs that don't define me.

I don't care about sports and it actually disgusts me how much hockey players or baseball players make so I don't belong to sports fan team spirit club. I consider myself a casual Star Trek fan but I don't get people dressing up in costumes to go to conventions. I understand wanting to belong to something and being passionate but I was homeless and living on the streets when I was 16 so I learned to rely on no one and looking at it as me against the world from a young age. The closest I come to being a part of something is I tend to get along with... um... I guess other fans of certain makes of guitars. ;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:58 pm

I think having a nation is the best thing we can have. It is how apes and wolves work, It is just a bigger pack or tribe. Without it, we will not have what we have now but chaos.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm

You can thank the peace treaty of Westphalen in 1648 for the invention of nation states. That's how young the concept really is. You might as well fight a genocidal war over who has the better table manners. It's completely man made, completely irrational and completely obsolete. Feudalism was invented as an improvement over what went before, I would say nationalism (call it patriotism, it's the same thing) is in for junk yard and a replacement by something better.