Random news Roundup

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Random news Roundup

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:26 am

The parallels between 2014 with Putin's Russian and the Ukraine/Crimea and 1938 with Hitler's Germany and Czechoslovakia, with the West, in both instances, not really able to do a thing other than talk...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:27 am

It is getting damn scary. Is Poland the next on line when the West gets active? Mayhaps it is time to remove the restrictions on Germany. I say, let the Germans loose. Cause Europe cannot win a war with a restricted Germany if Russia starts sniffing for Poland, Balticum, Maybe Finland and Swedish Gotland too.

I believe my trip to Poland might be cancelled cause of this. I do not wish to be in Southern Poland if there is a war going on in Eastern Europe. I know that there is Swedes welcoming Putin to take control of Sweden and our passive government and leaders. ._.

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Marcus wrote:It is getting damn scary. Is Poland the next on line when the West gets active? Mayhaps it is time to remove the restrictions on Germany. I say, let the Germans loose. Cause Europe cannot win a war with a restricted Germany if Russia starts sniffing for Poland, Balticum, Maybe Finland and Swedish Gotland too.
Marcus, has anyone ever told you that you're one hell of a paranoid nutjob? :mrgreen:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:45 am

Maybe Denmark can work out a deal with Putin so they get Scania, Halland and Bleking while Putin gets Finland and the rest of Sweden?

The entire thing in Ukraine is a sad thing, because it's the result of a casual reassignment of administrative regions done at a time where it didn't matter. Some politician decided half a century ago that those parts of Russia were easier to administer from the local party offices in Kiev and put them under Kiev administration with the stroke of a pen. It didn't matter after all, them being all in the Soviet Union. Only when it fell apart and those previous "administrative areas" decided to call themselves sovereign nations did it become a problem, because those populations living on the wrong side of previously insignificant administrative lines (about as important as a post code) suddenly found themselves living in different countries.

Putin probably has an eye on those parts where Russians make up the majority of the population and in particular Crimea, being strategically important, has been part of Russia for more than a handful centuries and Ukraine pretending it's perfectly fine in Ukrainian hands probably doesn't sound very convincing to Russian strategists (as they probably expect Nato bases to pop up overnight in the century old Russian fortifications like Sevastopol).

For those interested in history, look up Cuban Missile crisis for a similar situation where the Soviets installed missiles in USA's backyard.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 pm

There's also the tiny issue of the new Ukrainian transitional government being made up in part by absolute hard core right wing nutjobs calling themselves the Svoboda (Freedom) party. Those guys used to be called Social National Party of Ukraine and their former insignia looks an awful lot like cross between a sig rune and an (German) Iron Cross (also, they call their insigna WOLFSANGEL, as if the design wasn't indication enough). They just don't get any media attention because Klitschko garner's far more attention.

Putin is a Machiavellian authoritarian whacko, but he isn't completely out of it when he says his soldiers are protecting Russians. They probably are. Much more than any American soldiers protected Americans in say Syria or Libya, so Obama should really shut his trap on this one.

Also, really, the EU is Russia's most important trading partner and a huge importer of European high tech. Economics and realpolitik dictate that this situation will not escalate into anything that remotely a conflict, let alone a war. Russia can't afford it. The EU neither, but much more than Russia could, really.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Pretty sure he is not protecting Russians but his own interest. I would abandon all trade with Russia and aim for China and India. fudge Russia.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 19363.html

Time for something more positive! This do bring back a bit of faith in humanity : )

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:21 am

Putin does indeed have his own agenda and doesn't give a damn about the people. Fortunately, despite the Ukraine now being allowed to use their weapons there hasn't been any further shooting.

And yes, a very, very classy act by the San Jose Sharks organisation.

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Inu_-0dcSU

I especially love the symbol(ism)s at the end of the video. It's the who is who of neo-nazi logos. Heh.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Not the prettiest picture over there, that's certain. You're closer to it than I am but really, I don't see any opposition other than sanctions from the West and Putin will just keep rolling along.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:18 am

I had to laugh when one of those banners at the end showed a viking logo and name... if there is something that is *not* Ukrainian, it's vikings :P
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 am

Joseph wrote:Putin does indeed have his own agenda and doesn't give a damn about the people. Fortunately, despite the Ukraine now being allowed to use their weapons there hasn't been any further shooting.

And yes, a very, very classy act by the San Jose Sharks organisation.
I do not think they dare, they know that even how hard they fight. They either start a very big war or lose it against the Russian red horde.

Oh it was one classy act! Very nice!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:37 am

If it comes to war with Russia for the EU and NATO. Perhaps it is time to remove the lease from Germany again, remove all their boundaries and rules that keep their army "small". Point them at the Russians and release the German Shepard dog.

I sure hope not. Cause this time Sweden cannot stay neutral since we just had to join the EU.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:25 pm

I doubt that will happen. While any news article has to be taken with a "grain of salt" I read an article a few days ago on the BBC that said that a substantial numbers Germans, including politicians, aren't in favour of provoking Russia since some still see them as their saviours/liberators from WWII. It doesn't make since to me since life in East Berlin wasn't a picnic but...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:49 pm

"Saviour" I guess since hundreds of thousands of German women got raped.

Must be old DDR germans thinking the Communists saved em. I say they prolonged the hell for Eastern Germany.

Germany still, would be needed if Russia attacks the EU. I don't think they just give up now. WIthout a gain.

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Marcus wrote:Must be old DDR germans thinking the Communists saved em. I say they prolonged the hell for Eastern Germany.
You'd be surprised how many people of the former Soviet Union would like their good old communism back. Capitalism hasn't brought everyone wealth and a high standard of living. I have Hungarian relatives who'd like nothing better than going back to the way things were before the Iron Curtain came down.

There's a substantial amount of poor people in Eastern Europe whose life has been much better during Soviet rule. Not that the government was any less corrupt in these days, no, and there was much less freedom to go around as well - but yeah. Freedom doesn't buy you favors with the local administration nor does it feed your family when push comes to shove.

Especially not with high unemployment rates and rising costs of living combined with bad wages. Things that never mattered during Soviet rule.

edit:

Also, as someone living dangerously close to Germany I'll call bullshit on that "saviour" piece of the BBC. If there's any reason not to "provoke" the Russians more than the barest that's necessary it's because that former Soviet hellhole on the edge of Europe simply isn't worth it. That might sound terrible for the people living there who are possibly facing a civil war they don't want, but it's the awful truth.

I don't really see the problem either, let the Russian territories in the Ukraine secede, what's the big deal... we also acknowledged the Kosovo as a sovereign state, so it's not like there isn't a precedence, and technically speaking do the Albanians have much less of a claim to the Kosovo than the Russians do to the eastern provinces of the Ukraine, or Crimea for that matter.