Season 11/12 for MFF, PSV, International Football

Day to day, down the street and around the world
D. Sauzi

Season 11/12 for MFF, PSV, International Football

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Hmm, i know we (i) dont really post on this anymore, but i cant stop myself from creating a new one with the EL/CL qualifying underway, and apparently reaching an apex already.

Stopped posting last year as we dropped out of the Champions Race last season, with everyones favorite enemy Ajax winning it to boot.

We're in the midst of the summer season though, with the Allsvenskan running in full fever, and dutch teams again buying players away from there. (I believe Utrecht wants the forward of your most prominent title candidate (Helsingborg) atm.

PSV bought some new guys during summer too, gives us some new hope for the next year. They're fresh and talented dutch/flemish guys, a good change of pace from mediocre fellows from abroad or old guys you cant sell anymore, demand loads of money, and bring no aggression. New names are Mertens, Wijnaldum and Strootman, and i expect all of them to get good international careers.
Mertens is a direct replacement for our lovely Dzudzak, who caught the money train to the Caspian Sea. Great little dribbler on the left side. Wijnaldum comes from Feyenoord, and has been Hollands largest U-18 talent for a while, he's 21 by now, and stagnated a small tad, but still, great guy for a free attacking right midfielder role. Strootman even got his first cap already, defensive midfielder, who will hopefully replace Engelaar for which the keywords old, expensive and passive count.

In any case, reason for me to create the new thread are once again the draws. After watching a few games yesterday, in which ADO the hague with luck set aside a lithuanian team, and Swedish teams are demolishing their lucky draws from Luxembourg, and a surprise Belarussian match of yet another eastern europe team taking out Turkish highups, today held the next round draw, where the real opponents appear.
I wanted to see a Malmo FF match, since you became champions last season, but it appears i'll have to do so now, as MFF have drawn the worst of the lot, Rangers. Mind you, Rangers are beatable away, especially if they underestimate their opponents. However, recently, if they dont, things become very boring and you're lucky if theres a goal in 180 minutes. Let's hope for the first, and them just being Scottish and going down 4-1.
(background, Utrecht beat Celtic 4-0 at home last year, however, Rangers 0-0'd into the eighth final where PSV beat them 0-0 0-1 or something.)
Hope you're up for it, and it will be a great match.

Other CL stuff:
Twente drew Vaslui, Romanian number 2, should be doable, though the fourth round wont be. Big match is a rematch of Dynamo Kyiv-Rubin Kazan, i like both teams, but im not sure if ill watch it, I love them taking it up against the big guns, but between themselves, not so much. Actually, Benfica-Trabzonspor might be better, though i fear that Benfica is a step to big for the newish Turks. To be expected matches between Genk-Partizan, Litex-Wisla and Rosenborg-Plzen might be okay as well.
EL:
The EL is heading into the stages were teams of us are unseeded, ADO got lucky, landing a cypriotic draw, the Cypriots have been tearing things up, so they should watch for underestimation, but its a good draw. AZ was seeded and landed probably Jablonec, should be doable. Hacken got Nacional, somewhat possible Portuguese opponents. Elfsborg have a more doable one i guess, with Ferencvaros or Aalesunds, teams i deem equal or even a tad lesser. Helsingborg face Bnei Yehuda, a newcomer from Israel with quite ok results, considering Helsingborg lead the league though, there are chances. Lastly Orebro, i fear for, Sparta Praha is prolly a tad too decent for them, and i doubt they'll even reach there, Serbian opposition can be quite tough as well.
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: Season 11/12 for MFF, PSV, International Football

Post by Gorth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:55 am

Woohoo!... welcome back football thread :D

Sadly, unlike Adelaide who had a team who even did get noticed every now and then internationally (well, regionally at least, Asian Federations Cup), I don't even know if Brisbane has a football team :|
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Fucking football, Malmö FF is horrendous this season! :'/

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Maybe i can cheer you up by saying that Toivonen will be our captain for next year?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:49 pm

:) Oh he will? Even after him going berserk and all that? Never thought I see that happen! Always happy to see Swedish players, especially those who played for few seasons in Malmö FF and been of importance to us :)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Holy shit....Malmö manage to win versus Rangers on their Ibrox stadium. 0 - 1! By....Larsson! Hah! It hunts them! ;)

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Hmmm, interesting start... Rangers alas already have the away goal they needed in, but MMF follows up with a, hmm, i'll be a subjective with you today, neat theatrical display to get Rangers down to 10 men.

That was quite awful though to be honest, the MMF guy gave an elbow to one of the Scots, who replied with one of his own, but the Swedish fellow went down to cry for a red... Ah well, today you're allowed such, but that is really some Brazilian/Portuguese/Zidane&Materazzi foul play..

[edit] hehe turns out that particular turn of events wasnt the cause of the red, happened earlier, a just one with a Scot throwing the ball at a MMF guy because he got tackled with more of those double legged action.[/]

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Hmmm, Rangers return the favor of crying, Scot goes in with two straight legs and starts crying after he gets a kick from the ground for it, no reds this time, but this is sure setting the stage for a great second half, they'd best put on their full plates for the second half :D

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:42 pm

It was a bit weird to see Malmö FF play around 23-25 players, dont remember the exact number and play pretty good against Milan. Sure they where not giving their fullest but to see some "kids" run past the big players in Milan was fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMqFK0hbKVI

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Damnit! So close to beat out Dinamo Zagreb! Now we only get to play in "Losers League" instead. :?

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Ah well, at least you made it in there, if they offered you group stage play before the season id guess you'd have happily taken it. Still sad though, just a single goal difference..

PSV made it in as well, and landed a nice group where we should have no troubles. Id rather have had a few more interesting opponents though. I like having Rapid and Legia in there, matches i'll definitely watch on stream, but i'm not buying tickets for them. Twente landed a much more entertaining draw.

Oh, and it seems you guys are tied with AZ, should be a nice match.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:17 pm

When you are that close to a bigger cake...:/

Damn Croatians played to kill time also, big time.

Tied? I dont think Malmö FF is tied in skill compared to AZ or how do you mean? :)

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:08 am

Terrible season for Scots in Europe so far, and this weekend coming see the crunch Euro 2012 qualifier. It's win or bust.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:20 am

yeah, i saw most of that, but we've got Shamrock in, Shámróck :D

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Ranegie, the guy that scored 18 goals as of yet and leads the goal league in Sweden has now signed for Malmö FF! BK Häcken aggreed upon selling him.