Random rant of the day

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. Your health problems just never seem to end my friend.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Yeeeeah.

Seemingly my mother has it. Migraine is on both sides of the family. And my uncle got stomach issues and he proclaimes that his mother had it. So yeah. My grandma had that. 3 in a row? I hope it ends there. Genetics! fudge you.

EDIT: In all honesty this makes me considering every getting kids. I do not want to give a kid that mixed back of crap that seemingly pesters the genetic code in this family (families?). Either that or I need to find some kind of super woman with super genetics. And I am pretty sure she will have better options than me! Lol :angler:

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:14 pm

I have my first writer's meet up tomorrow. I'm nervous as Pete.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Good luck to you although. I'm slightly disappointed though. Was expecting a good rant. ;)

As for me... shoulda figured. Bought an external drive and some memory sticks to backup and... Ha! My laptop dies. Well, the video is dead. Still powers on and whirs away but the video is shot entirely. The black screen o'death even with an external monitor.

And of course EVERYTHING is on there. Years of writing, articles for Winterwind from others I haven't put up yet, all my pictures... pfft.

The drive contents should be fine. I just need to pop by the store and get and external case for the drive soI can transfer everything to my roommates's pc for now.

Of course it does figure it would happen right when I actually was going to sit down and get the site going again.

majestic

Post by majestic » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:28 pm

You know them religious types would call that divine intervention and stuff. Eh...
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:10 am

Joseph wrote:Good luck to you although. I'm slightly disappointed though. Was expecting a good rant. ;)

As for me... shoulda figured. Bought an external drive and some memory sticks to backup and... Ha! My laptop dies. Well, the video is dead. Still powers on and whirs away but the video is shot entirely. The black screen o'death even with an external monitor.

And of course EVERYTHING is on there. Years of writing, articles for Winterwind from others I haven't put up yet, all my pictures... pfft.

The drive contents should be fine. I just need to pop by the store and get and external case for the drive soI can transfer everything to my roommates's pc for now.

Of course it does figure it would happen right when I actually was going to sit down and get the site going again.
Thats plain bad luck there! ://

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Writer's group went well. Yeah very belated but who cares.

Had a very telling sign on facebook with an acquaintance of mine. Still don't know if we are that though after an argument. Decided to get off of facebook for the time being.

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:32 pm

Deciding to get off of facebook is the first step towards wellness. ;)

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Oh lordy, today I stumbled upon something utterly dumb.

First though, I need to talk about the basics to you understand the issue.

As you may or may not know, German has grammatical genders for nouns. There's three of them, with names derived from Latin, of course (masculine, feminine and neuter). These genders are purely grammatical and are derived from the syntax of the word (well, most of the time, but that's a discussion on its own) - they are never derived from semantics.

That is why, for instance, the german word for girl is das Mädchen which is actually neuter, and not feminine as one would expect when looking the meaning of the word.

Now, when one refers to groups of people (through their vocation or common interests, or whatever), for instance, the nouns almost always are masculine, due to the way they are built. For instance, to refer to people who paint, one would take the verb to paint (malen) and replace the ending with -er, leading to der Maler (painter, singular) and die Maler (painters, plural). Not that different from english obviously, as seen in the example.

Maler now is the noun for people who, obviously, paint. The word refers to any person that is painting in some capacity (as such, it designates a group of people). It does not at all infer that the painter is male. Women painting are also part of the group Maler. However, where there are genders, there also are feminists. Those tend to see such nouns as purely repressive and take them to be an expression of the male dominance in the world as well as the language itself.

Fortunately for us, German offers a built-in solution for that as well. If you have nouns that specifically refer to single people instead of groups of people, an -in is added as the ending to designate a woman holding it, with no additional ending to the male holder (usually). For instance, while in English a king is male and a queen is female (by meaning, not word gender) in German that would be König and Königin.

To make it even more confusing, if you specifically refer to any single female painter, as per above rule, it is perfectly fine for it to become die Malerin (e.g. Die Malerin Barbara, refering to the "paintress" Barbara), or alternatively in case of specific titles that do not have their distinct gender based variety like König and Königin you can build a female reference by adding "Frau" (woman) to the reference. This is done in the military for instance where you do not say Wachtmeisterin (seargent in a more general sense) but Frau Wachtmeister when refering to any female seargent.

So, now, here it comes. We simply invented something called "gendering" - and yes, that the GERMAN word for it. Nouns refering to groups of people are gendered.

So back to our painters. We now divide the group of people formerly known as Maler intwo two distinct groups - Maler, who are males who paint and Malerinnen who are women who paint (the plural form of Malerin is Malerinnen, but declension is some completely different topic anyway).

You now have a choice to make. Where before you simply referred to any person painting as Maler you need to either address both seperately or use a silly-artsy way called a Binnen-I to designate both males and females, e.g. MalerInnen, which not only looks dumb (capital letters are only for nouns and the beginning of sentences, for crying out loud) but is redundant considering that Maler already refers to both male and female painters.

But whatever, it's not going to go away because it's an easy target for politicians and professional writers who want to pay lip service to the feminist cause by showing who they're actively trying to change the language to be more gender neutral where it already is (except in the minds of radicals who can't distinguish between grammar and semantics).

Today though I saw... the height of moronism...

FanInnen.

Rerefing to fans of both genders. Which is even more dumb then splitting words in gendered groups and then add a different way to refer to both because Fan obviously is an English loanword and English words don't have grammatical genders in the first place, and as such it can't really be argued that the term itself is some sort of sexist expression of male domination (whatever, really).

Oh dear.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:25 am

Thank you for the German grammar lesson. The next time I'm attending Oktoberfest it'll come in handy should I run into a group of women with smocks and paintbrushes.

Sigh... had my own little battle recently. A woman telling me that women that make abortion jokes are misogynists...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:11 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttack.html

It is veeeery hard to agree with this religion of peace right now. It do not matter if it is a small percentage. The massacres caused are to big to just be "Oh its not on them, they feel sorry too". Feeling sorry or condemning is not enough. There need to be a Enlightenment and reformation. The wahabist and salafist of Saudi should not be allowed to build mosque and bring their hate filled propaganda to Europe and the rest of the world!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:03 am

I typically refrain from discussing anything pertaining to things like this but...

Ah hell, I'm not touching it. Suffice it to say if I ran the world it'd be an atheistic Utopian paradise. Well, maybe not. People are still people but I'm just stunned that in the 21st century people still believe in gods and think that fairy tales are worth killing others over.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:12 am

Joseph wrote:I typically refrain from discussing anything pertaining to things like this but...

Ah hell, I'm not touching it. Suffice it to say if I ran the world it'd be an atheistic Utopian paradise. Well, maybe not. People are still people but I'm just stunned that in the 21st century people still believe in gods and think that fairy tales are worth killing others over.
The whole killing and whining about your needs from some ancient old law book is pretty damn weird.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:43 am

Indeed. No offence to Fluffy's beliefs but I really can't understand how, in the 21st century, people keep believing in superstitious beliefs from thousands of years ago.

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:21 pm

No offense taken. People are a varied lot so I can't give you a blanket answer.

On a different note, I had my writer's group yesterday and it was my first time ever in a long time that I was stumped on what to write about.

-Rachel Duncan