Random rant of the day

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Locked
User avatar
Gorth
Patron
Patron
Posts: 5150
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Australia

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Gorth » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:11 pm

You have no idea.... even with Fionavar doing manual activation, we still have dozens that slip through every week. Luckily we have a system where new accounts need 5 approved posts before they get out of "moderated status" (their posts are only visible to moderators, so most people never know/see them)

A few sneaky bots now post completely irrelevant stuff for a while just to retroactively find all their previous posts and edit them to add spam links
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 am

Wow. Fionavar is still around? I just can't imagine modding on boards that long. But yeah, bots are a pain.

User avatar
Gorth
Patron
Patron
Posts: 5150
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Australia

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Gorth » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 am

Well, there are still a few "old timers" around. Besides Fionavar (and Majestic/MERLANCE), you might remember Gromnir, Gfted1, Amentep, Volourn and a few others who might have changed names since the old Interplay/Black Isle board

Visceris and Tarna are both dead :(
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:20 am

Yeah, I remember the names. I still can't imagine modding on a company's board that long. I guess I just get bored too easily.

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Applied for some odd guide job in Spain or whatever, seemingly I need a 5 week class to even be considered for interviews...and I need to pay for it myself, The company can "help me" but yeah, nah. fudge that. Education should be free, that much of a socialist I am.

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Marcus wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:05 pm
Applied for some odd guide job in Spain or whatever, seemingly I need a 5 week class to even be considered for interviews...and I need to pay for it myself, The company can "help me" but yeah, nah. fudge that. Education should be free, that much of a socialist I am.
Post secondary education should be free, yes. Especially since so many employers want a degree in this or that. However, beyond needing the piece of paper for job applications degrees are useless in my opinion. I've met far too many supposedly educated people that were incredibly stupid.

I had a university grad working for me about 10 years ago that thought I invented the word "tsunami". She had made it all the way through elementary school, high school and four years of university, and 23 years of life, and had thought that I made up the word. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred all a degree in North America shows is that you somehow came up with the money for tuition and every six to eight weeks someone graded you on how much of a text book you were able to memorise the night before the exam.

I value intelligence, awareness and maturity far more than a degree.

User avatar
Gorth
Patron
Patron
Posts: 5150
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Australia

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Gorth » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 pm

I actually think it's Ok if the training is for the sole purpose of filling a very niche gap for a particular industry. Just like I think it's perfectly Ok for pilots to either self fund or find sponsors (like the airlines) to pay for a pilot training and a certificate. If they need tour guides badly enough, they'll sponsor the training, just like airlines sometimes do when there are severe pilot shortages (and the Airforce has run out of tax payer educated pilots for them to steal, passing on the bill to You and I)
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:34 am

I just found it shady, how they could "help" with paying for this education. It felt like I somehow would end up in debt to this company. Perhaps I had to "work it off" or pay it back as a loan. Considering that possibility I mailed em this evening and said no thanks. Nor do I wish to move to Spain.

If I move, I probably move from Europe, Canada, New Zeeland or similar.

I have a degree in religious history. A bachelor one. Took damn to long and the people I seen become teachers and similar makes me raise a brow. Least in Sweden we do not pay for it beside "student loans" if we want to move. And those are pretty "okayish" with you not able to pay off until you get an income.

I just imagine being a guide at some tourist place will be big ass pain and horrible. My health issues and overall pretty stressed out personality won't do well.

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:57 am

I wouldn't recommend moving here. Canada only pretends to be a great country. Sure, we're better than the US but you'll find where you are in Sweden preferable to here.

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:29 am

Joseph wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:57 am
I wouldn't recommend moving here. Canada only pretends to be a great country. Sure, we're better than the US but you'll find where you are in Sweden preferable to here.
I am not to sure about that Swedish "I am okay with this and trust the state" mentality combined with lack of even decent leaders have made us decline. Seemingly playing a humanitarian super power costs money. We are in a decline, Poland will be running past us by 2030.

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:29 am
Joseph wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:57 am
I wouldn't recommend moving here. Canada only pretends to be a great country. Sure, we're better than the US but you'll find where you are in Sweden preferable to here.
I am not to sure about that Swedish "I am okay with this and trust the state" mentality combined with lack of even decent leaders have made us decline. Seemingly playing a humanitarian super power costs money. We are in a decline, Poland will be running past us by 2030.
No one should ever trust "the state" regardless of what country they're in. Governments are nothing more than a necessary evil. Even the "good" ones (and good of course is entirely subject) are going to screw someone over, or marginalise or victimise someone.

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Joseph wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:07 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:29 am
Joseph wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:57 am
I wouldn't recommend moving here. Canada only pretends to be a great country. Sure, we're better than the US but you'll find where you are in Sweden preferable to here.
I am not to sure about that Swedish "I am okay with this and trust the state" mentality combined with lack of even decent leaders have made us decline. Seemingly playing a humanitarian super power costs money. We are in a decline, Poland will be running past us by 2030.
No one should ever trust "the state" regardless of what country they're in. Governments are nothing more than a necessary evil. Even the "good" ones (and good of course is entirely subject) are going to screw someone over, or marginalise or victimise someone.
There is a saying by some people in Sweden, in Sweden people trust the state more than their own family. They would report their own family to the state, the state is their family. Least to some people. It is abit like North Korea but people have it good and is a western culture. But I cannot imagine the nightmare if society turns more grim and dark! Which it slowly is. DDR 2.0.

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Ya know, I had to google "DDR". I knew you weren't referring to RAM or DNA but no one outside of Europeans really remembers East Germany by that acronym. ;)

We are a flawed species. That's it. Period. Post-apocalyptic scenarios are popular because some just want a do-over with the slate wiped clean. Problem is a PA scenario would only bring out the worst in humanity anyhow. With compassion, ethics and integrity meaning so little to so many and true intelligence being lacking in the vast majority of the population... I have very little hope for us as a species.

User avatar
Gorth
Patron
Patron
Posts: 5150
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Australia

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Gorth » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:51 pm

Germans used to refer to West Germany as BRD (Bundesrepublik Deutschland or just Die Bundesrepublik - Federation of German states) and East Germany as DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik - The Democratic Republic of Germany), many European countries, including Denmark used the latter acronym (/history)

Danes are very similar to Swedes (I'll trust the anonymity of the internet to protect me for saying that). They inherently trust the state to do the right thing. It may have something to do with being socialist countries. They usually score quite high on those happiness indexes too.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Random rant of the day

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 pm

But Danes do mount complains when wronged. Swedes sometimes, I think is bit to brainwashed. Hell I even seen people defend Article 11 and Article 13 in the EU, as if the Swedish state love applies to EU too.

DDR is commonly used around here! Joseph! :P Ironic you mention post apoclyptic.

A psychology professor at Lunds University was in the newspaper today, she complained preppers got to much attention and that when a crisis hits "People will help others and come together". I think she is to much in the "few days before the electricity is back" mindset, I morely do not see "Humans helping" each others, week 107, still no sign of the government, electricity is long gone, the supplies are gone...we see lanterns and flashlgihts in the distance and gunshots and women crying!Tier of crisis. NOPE; Humans will not "Help" each others out in such a crisis as the structure and rules of society comes crumbling down as the walls cannot hold out the crazy shit in the Human species as the state disappears. And people think anarchhy is functional! :P Madness.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests