Goals...

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Goals...

Post by Joseph » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Goals are good. "They" even say it helps achieve them to write them down. So what the hell? Let's have a "Goals" thread.

My immediate goals...

Now that I have a job, get a better job with higher income.

Get our site re-designed and re-launched (though I only have partial control of the timing on that, not being the web developer, just a writer and the site owner).

Get back into music (which will also see me wanting a couple more instruments and related equipment, especially whatever programs are need to turn a computer into a decent digital studio).

Get fit again.

And... get my damn driver's license. I've never had it. Every year I say "this year" so I think I need to actually do it this time.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Re: Goals...

Post by MERLANCE » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Have you driven without a license, or just not driven? I imagine the former is more common than the latter. I didnt get mine til I was 26. I still never drive.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:22 am

I've been behind the wheel a few times over the years. Back in my early 20s and again a few years ago but only out in the country, never in the city. My old roomie was teaching me how to drive for a while about three - four years ago. I'd practice in an empty lot at the university, just practising parking between the yellow lines, going in reverse, etc, etc, and we'd go driving in the country. I had no problems driving in the country but as soon as we'd get back to the edge of the city, I'd pull over and let her drive home.

I'll be like you, I'll get my license but I won't drive much. It's just something that's good to have in case you need it. And it's a major piece of ID too.

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:12 pm

How long and expensive is a driving course in Canada?
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 pm

No clue. I don't know anyone that's ever taken them. They're not required.

You pay $100 to do your written test and a passing mark gets you your Beginner's license. Then, you just drive around until you're ready to take the road test. With a beginner's you're always supposed to have a licensed driver with you but...

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Joseph wrote:You pay $100 to do your written test and a passing mark gets you your Beginner's license.
I see. Strange how these things cost 800+€, require a 20h course, 10h driving lessons with a professional (certified) driver OR 6h and 3000km with a trustworthy (as in not involved in accidents or been caught driving under influence) relative and both a written and a practical exam around here. :haha:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:16 pm

I had a five year plan, like Stalin.

After my senior high school thingy.

Have a good job, preferbly as head waiter/restaurant manager.
Have a good home, a nice apartment
Have a splendid girlfriend.

A five year plan.

Non achieved.

Now I morely aim to finish my current university exam, somewhere mayhaps find me a fitting woman to live with and write a book.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Make a blend of responsible and risky life choices that won't compromise my friendships, family or career.
Work.
Have fun.

Doesn't always work.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:52 pm

@ majestic... I guess that's the price you pay for that Western European decadence. :wink:

@ Marcus... Well, if it's any consolation, you're still young and you've had health issues that got in the way.

@ AKJ... a tough balance to find indeed.

And... I need a life. That's a goal I didn't add to my list. Even when I find a better job I'll still be coming home to nothing and no one. It gets really boring spending your all your time reading or watching things on your laptop. I need something to fill the time with.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 am

Going to work more and more on bettering myself instead of doing what I do just because "it's what I have always done."

Pay off my bills and learn from it
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am

Oh I had grand goals while I was a little younger. Study, get into R&D someplace, do exiting things, maybe even game development.

Of course, none of that happened. I studied a bit, noticed that it sucks some serious arse*, stopped, instead of R&D I'm doing ERP programming, which was the one thing I never wanted to do...

Still, I'm doing relatively well all things considered.

*actually studying isn't that bad, but having to repeat a basic course all over again becaues somehow you can't have them accredited based on past education is boring as hell.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:00 pm

All kids have grand goals when they're younger. And then life takes over and reality sets in. Damn life!

I certainly didn't ever think I'd be in the position I'm in now when a I was younger. Hell, even two years ago I didn't think I'd be in this spot. Had a home with a beautiful woman and the world's greatest puppy, thought I'd find a decent position in HR with a reputable company and do some music and writing on the side.

Now... I'm without the beautiful woman and puppy, I have a job that rapidly became far less than I was promised when hired, renting a room in someone's basement and waiting for our site to get re-done so we can relaunch. But at least I still have some reasonably realistic goals.

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Joseph wrote:Now... I'm without the beautiful woman and puppy, I have a job that rapidly became far less than I was promised when hired, renting a room in someone's basement and waiting for our site to get re-done so we can relaunch. But at least I still have some reasonably realistic goals.
Happened to me a few years back while I was post-count king on Interplay. No job, studies that went nowhere and freshly broken up. I remember pretending to do a lot of "home office" work while posting on Interplay all day long because I had nothing ELSE to do.

Good old times indeed. :?

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:18 pm

@ Joseph. Problem is in my point of view, Im still young and havent done anything of them. I just get older. Im closer to 30 now then the graduation at senior high or what the frick its called in English. I achieved nothing but hopefully a 3 years worth of university studies. The older I get, the less experienced I get since of my current situation. Crappy IBS and migraines holding me back. Had one attack this saturday. Woke up, went to the fridge to take some roast beef for the buns and bam. It jumped on me, noticed it right away since a very small section of my vision got blurry. And then it was off to bed right away and sleep for a few more hours. Still feeling weird cause of it and had a sudden explosion of headache last night aswell as I sat by the computer.

I hope I can take up on writing even if my languages are horrid. Its plausible but to make money on it? Nah. Not gonna happen probably but I do it for one since its not like I gonna get a job soon anyway. If I decide to do it. Considered picking up 3D modling since a friend of mine is making money on that. Taking requests and making some cash.

Not that my life is shit or anything, just my goals been ruined by health issues which to some degree been based on the shit I had with the family and maybe to high ambitions that I could not handle with mental stress.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 am

Joseph wrote:All kids have grand goals when they're younger. And then life takes over and reality sets in. Damn life!
They say dreams are for dreamers... luckily I'm not a dreamer.

I don't make frivolous goals for myself either. I had two goals when I was a young teenager (like 15-16). One was to move to Australia and the other to own a Ferrari.

50% completion rate so far, I need to work harder.

Long term goals? None that I can think of, taking one day after the other at the moment.

Short term goals? Looking for a larger town house because the one I got is just too small. Getting all claustrophobic.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...