Choyrt's catching up thread...

Day to day, down the street and around the world
User avatar
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:17 pm
Contact:

Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by choyrt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Thank you sir! I've been ... in the army, deployed, divorced, homeless for a while, worked in a jail, wrote a novel, now I teach English to middle school and have a new marriage and a four-year-old son!

How is everyone else!?

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by Joseph » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:18 pm

I split this off from the CW101 thread it was in...

Those are some serious ups and downs in eight years.

I could never join the army (thought I thought about it when younger as a means to pay for a university degree) and I could never work in a jail in any capacity. It would wear me down.

Homeless? Actually living on the streets without a penny to your name homeless or "couch surfing" with friends?

And congrats on the new marriage and your son. Happy for you. And somewhat envious.

As for me and the past eight years...

All those eight years, including a year and half of waiting for her, were committed to one woman. Unfortunately, for many reasons, hers and mine, it didn't work out and I'm living in a tiny little room in a prof's basement.

We didn't have children but we had a puppy that I love more than anything, he was our child, and I miss him.

Beyond that... Either unemployed or under-employed and going back to school didn't help. The extra line and credentials on my resume haven't worked for me. Yet. And... Winterwind is Winterwind... good ideas and plans but stuck in limbo all too often. Right now we're waiting on a re-design of the site and it's been a few months now. Hopefully it'll be ready, as now promised, for next weekend.

User avatar
MERLANCE
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:22 am
Title: Sorceror Supreme
Location: Stranded on the Black Isle
Contact:

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Holy :lordfish: its Choyrt, havent seen you in, ah, er, eight years.

Always nice to see an old timer come back to visit.

User avatar
Fluffy17
Posts: 2495
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:16 pm
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by Fluffy17 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Well in the 8 years you've been gone. I've been away, became a born again Christian, engaged twice, pretty miserable seeing everybody in my family get one success to their name while I stagnate into basement dwelling nerd territory, was almost homeless twice, became a porn addict and now I have a job reviewing old Japanese TV shows and Power Rangers.

*pulls up a seat for the old veteran*
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

User avatar
AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2106
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:11 pm
Title: Metal Head
Location: Midwest, US
Contact:

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by AngryKidJoe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Willkommen
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

User avatar
Gorth
Patron
Patron
Posts: 5150
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Australia

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by Gorth » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:10 am

Wohoo!

Hi Choyrt... well, the past 8 years probably have been "dull" compared to yours. Traveled a bit more of the world, seeing more parts of Asia Pacific and South East Asia, new places, new people, worked my ass off (in the same job).

Only change since last time is, besides getting older, picking up a motor cycle drivers license and the motor cycle that goes with it ;)

As for working in a jail, I got several relatives who are/were prison wardens, relatives who are police officers (including the cloak and dagger ones, doing the hush stuff) and your average uniformed cops. You get used to the presence of uniforms in your life :lol:

(Sort of ironically that a different branch of family ended up drug users and petty criminals).
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

User avatar
Marcus
Posts: 3297
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:27 pm
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Location: City of the lost ship industry

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by Marcus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:24 am

This is awesome. new people.

User avatar
Fluffy17
Posts: 2495
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:16 pm
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by Fluffy17 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 am

Choyrt's old-new
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

User avatar
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by choyrt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Joseph wrote:I split this off from the CW101 thread it was in...
Thank you, sir! I have yet to figure out how to actually post a new thread for some reason!
Joseph wrote:Homeless? Actually living on the streets without a penny to your name homeless or "couch surfing" with friends?
A bit of both. I still had some of my gear from the army so I managed alright. I tended to sleep behind an electrical box at the diner I worked at, and eating off of other people's plates was pretty viable. Also, the four Peruvians were the only ones to catch on that I was homeless (I'd re-park my car each night and try and leave last) so they would 'accidentally' make too much of a lot of food and land it in front of me during my break... I loved those guys. Even if they gave me my breakfast shaped like a dong!
Joseph wrote:And congrats on the new marriage and your son. Happy for you. And somewhat envious.
Image

That's the boy and here is my wife:

Image
Joseph wrote:As for me and the past eight years...

All those eight years, including a year and half of waiting for her, were committed to one woman. Unfortunately, for many reasons, hers and mine, it didn't work out and I'm living in a tiny little room in a prof's basement.

We didn't have children but we had a puppy that I love more than anything, he was our child, and I miss him.

Beyond that... Either unemployed or under-employed and going back to school didn't help. The extra line and credentials on my resume haven't worked for me. Yet. And... Winterwind is Winterwind... good ideas and plans but stuck in limbo all too often. Right now we're waiting on a re-design of the site and it's been a few months now. Hopefully it'll be ready, as now promised, for next weekend.
I suspect, although I haven't managed it consistantly, that the secret to any success is patient tenacity. Be a kind-natured bastard about things. Was this the same girl from way back? She waffled a lot back then too, if I recall. As for plans in limbo, you have a community here. That would hardly be limbo, sir!

User avatar
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by choyrt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:30 pm

MERLANCE wrote:Holy :lordfish: its Choyrt, havent seen you in, ah, er, eight years.

Always nice to see an old timer come back to visit.
Sir! Good to see you! Are you running the RPG forums? My wife and another friend play some pretty experimental table-top stuff. We started a Pathfinder campaign and it got crazy when the characters realized they were being filmed for an unscripted fantasy TV show on an asteriod... the last session we had they actually found their own ruleset/gm books... they are having to make all kinds of will saves to keep from going bonkers.

User avatar
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by choyrt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Fluffy17 wrote:Well in the 8 years you've been gone. I've been away, became a born again Christian, engaged twice, pretty miserable seeing everybody in my family get one success to their name while I stagnate into basement dwelling nerd territory, was almost homeless twice, became a porn addict and now I have a job reviewing old Japanese TV shows and Power Rangers.

*pulls up a seat for the old veteran*
I happen to enjoy basement dwelling nerd turf! I do my best writing there. Also, ALMOST homeless is WAY more stressful than homeless. I'm sorry to hear that!

As for porn addict... I suspect anyone can be addicted to anything, all items considered. If you are habitually doing something you do NOT want to do = addicted. I'm sorry if it ate into your dating/sex life. Some manage to make porn a healthy sexual thing. For me, it is CLOWN PORN. Nose-ball gags ftw.

How does one review old Japanese TV!? Are there specific standards? That's got to be crazy.

User avatar
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by choyrt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 pm

AngryKidJoe wrote:Willkommen
Image


Tobey Maquire! Big fan. I loved Pleasentville and I really enjoyed Spiderman 2.

User avatar
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Posts: 14186
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:29 pm
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk
Location: Here... no, there...

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by Joseph » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:40 pm

I honestly didn't recall you being around back when I met her but yes, the same lady that ruled my heart way back then.

And while our little community is indeed lovely and supportive... posts on a forum do not a fulfilling life make. A career instead of a succession of dead end jobs and some creative and artistic fulfillment from this site would do wonders for me. I have been sort of dating someone so that helps a bit but still... career and artistic fulfillment are what I need now.

Oh, and lovely wife and child. Congrats again. :)

User avatar
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by choyrt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Gorth wrote:Wohoo!

Hi Choyrt... well, the past 8 years probably have been "dull" compared to yours. Traveled a bit more of the world, seeing more parts of Asia Pacific and South East Asia, new places, new people, worked my ass off (in the same job).

Only change since last time is, besides getting older, picking up a motor cycle drivers license and the motor cycle that goes with it ;)

I would LOVE to see Asia. My wife has been multiple times, but I've only traveled in the army and I suspect that is a different experience. I spent some time in Haiti, though. The moon was so bright at night and the water was so clear you could catch an octopus with your hands.

Gorth wrote:As for working in a jail, I got several relatives who are/were prison wardens, relatives who are police officers (including the cloak and dagger ones, doing the hush stuff) and your average uniformed cops. You get used to the presence of uniforms in your life :lol:

(Sort of ironically that a different branch of family ended up drug users and petty criminals).
Sounds like your family supports itself! I am actually ending the jail job after this; the seventh year. As Joseph said it has worn me down.

User avatar
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Choyrt's catching up thread...

Post by choyrt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Marcus wrote:This is awesome. new people.

Newish!

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests