Doctor Who both Nu and Classic

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Doctor Who both Nu and Classic

Post by Fluffy17 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Because I want a place to talk about Daleks and such in a controlled environment darn it.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Doctor Who both Nu and Classic

Post by Joseph » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:36 pm

And the latest show watched thread wasn't good enough? ;)

That's cool. Glad you're getting on board with DW. Shame all the big DW fans that used to post here haven't been around for a while.

Oh, and I edited your thread title because it drives me batty when people refer to it as "Dr. Who".

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:04 am

Fair enough and the latest show thread was fine, but when I continuously watch episodes of a series (like say Star Trek and Doctor Who) I would prefer it be on its own separate thread since it won't get bogged down (yes even in this traffic it can get bogged down at times).

Anyway After watching and sampling some of Doctors, my favorite is Jon Pertwee but I am partial to Tom Baker's adventures. I also enjoy some of Sylvestor McCoy when he's a goof and not the cerebral chess master. while my least favorites are a tie between Christopher Eccleston and Peter Davison.

Davison was kind of a goof to me but not in a fun way, more like he was trying to be Tom Baker and failing miserably. Also I sadly found a human being that's more pathetic than Wesley Crusher and his name... is Adric. And sadly he really makes me wish The Doctor wasn't a pacifist since I loathe him so damn much. Eccleston was ok but had a tendency to overact the dark, gritty Doctor plus once again a companion made me want the Doctor to go crazy and snap their neck. This one was Rose.

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 am

Adric was not popular. And you're not the first to mention him and Wesley in the same sentence. :D

Davison is my least favourite Doctor. Absolute dead last. Boring guy having an asthma attack is how I've always described his Doctor. And Eccleston is probably in my top three. Over-act the dark gritty Doctor? Ever heard of PTSD and Survivor's Guilt? Time War? He killed his own people to stop the Daleks and then learned the Dalek survived. Over-act? Bah!

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:22 am

Joseph wrote:Adric was not popular. And you're not the first to mention him and Wesley in the same sentence. :D

Davison is my least favourite Doctor. Absolute dead last. Boring guy having an asthma attack is how I've always described his Doctor. And Eccleston is probably in my top three. Over-act the dark gritty Doctor? Ever heard of PTSD and Survivor's Guilt? Time War? He killed his own people to stop the Daleks and then learned the Dalek survived. Over-act? Bah!
Good to know my hatred for Adric isn't an unpopular one.

As for PTSD and Survivor's Guilt. I know people with PTSD, my ex being one of them and they at times more or less shut down, not lash out. It's inconsistent, with Eccleston it was basically count down until he yelled at people. I can see Survivor's Guilt however. As for the Time War, he didn't kill them he just froze them in time IIRC. Maybe I have to re-watch some of his stuff. Granted I like my Doctors old, goofy or both so it's a matter of choice. Is my hatred of Rose unpopular? Because I found her very her unbearable.

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 am

If you "timelock" your people, you've essentially killed them. That's why the Doctor kept saying he was "The last of the Time Lords". I don't know how far you've got with nuWho but the Ninth and Tenth Doctors both suffered from that "anguish". But then, with show reviving in 2005 you've got '05 - '13 to get through. Docs 9, 10 and 11 to be current and understand everything.

And fandom is divided on Rose. I used to loathe her. In my recent re-watch, I softened a bit. Just a bit. Martha is really bottom of the barrel in my view now. They were tied.

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:44 am

To be honest I have only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes with Eccleston in them so I have a lot.

Who would be the other two that rival Eccleston? I am assuming Todd Baker's one since that was your Avatar for the LONGEST time.

-Rachel Duncan

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Just saw Blink. Very well done episode, plus very little Martha. I was confused at first how the Weeping Angels worked but that didn't hamper it that much. However, old Jamaican cop (I laughed at his accent) still seemed to have a thing for a young woman. Which was VERY creepy, especially since they didn't even really know each other.

9.5/10, sorry but creepy implied potential relationship makes it imperfect in that regard.

note: I am only stating their races mainly because they were a lot of women and at least 2 cops in the episode.

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Sure, sure, sure. We do the re-launch today and are you on Facebook, liking and commenting? Nope. Read the new articles on the site? Commented in the forum? Nope. You're bloody watching Doctor Who which is... um... Well, it's Doctor Who. :D

Now have you just done a marathon session or are you watching random episodes in random order? Because really, it is best watching nuWho in order.

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Marathon Session. Eccleston is less annoying than I thought and more toned down. People demanded I watch Blink though so THAT'S the only one I'm not watching in order.

BTW in "Rose" why did Rose have to go downstairs to the basement if he was the CEO... unless CEO means something different in England.

-Rachel Duncan

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:54 pm

An odd revelation to say the least

Spoiler-esque

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... cementrhs1
Costume designer Howard Burden, who showed the royal couple a selection of costumes from the show, disclosed that the anniversary episode will feature John Hurt, who will play a “dark Doctor” seen briefly at the end of the last series

There was a gap between Paul McGann playing the Doctor and Christopher Eccleston, when we didn’t see a regeneration, and John Hurt will fit into that gap. He is a past Doctor, not a future Doctor.”

-Rachel Duncan

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:54 pm

And the 12th Doctor is Peter Capaldi. Never heard of him, however I am glad we are out of teeny bopper eye candy territory. The fangirls that go gaga over Smith and Tennant are almost as bad as the River fanboys. :roll:

I also like Eccelston and the main issues I had with his run was more of the writing than his actual portrayal.

-Rachel Duncan

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:33 pm

Yeah, there was a certain juvenile aspect to some of the episodes. However Eccleston's one season/series gave us some great work as well. I'd say it was a 50-50 split. Can't blame the actors for the writers and show runners though.

As for Capaldi and never having heard of him... Being a Yank, how many of the Doctors have you heard of before they were Doctors? Hmm?

But Capaldi has already been in Doctor Who, in an espisode of the fourth season/series. And he was in Torchwood too (the Captain Jack spin-off).

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Joseph wrote:Yeah, there was a certain juvenile aspect to some of the episodes. However Eccleston's one season/series gave us some great work as well. I'd say it was a 50-50 split. Can't blame the actors for the writers and show runners though.
Exactly, farting aliens don't deserve to be on Doctor Who and that can't be placed on the actors on stuff like that... oh and pigmen
As for Capaldi and never having heard of him... Being a Yank, how many of the Doctors have you heard of before they were Doctors? Hmm?
I heard of Troughton, Davison and Tennant before they were Doctors. Troughton I remember from my youth when my mom brought home and old VHS of The Scarlett Pimpernel and I saw Jason and the Argonauts with him in it, Tennant from Harry Potter (in fact I think most Yanks heard of Tennant before due to that) and Davison I saw on syndications of All Creatures Big and Small. If you want to count John Hurt that makes a fourth I've seen on Hellboy (although I didn't remember his name before his was on Doctor Who). If you count non-canon Doctors than add Peter Cushing and Rowan Atkinson to the list
But Capaldi has already been in Doctor Who, in an espisode of the fourth season/series. And he was in Torchwood too (the Captain Jack spin-off).
Yeah Doctor Who has done that before, most notably with the late Nicholas Courtney. Have them play other characters then upgrade them to mainstays.

-Rachel Duncan

Michael S Collins

Post by Michael S Collins » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Fluffy17 wrote:Marathon Session. Eccleston is less annoying than I thought and more toned down. People demanded I watch Blink though so THAT'S the only one I'm not watching in order.

BTW in "Rose" why did Rose have to go downstairs to the basement if he was the CEO... unless CEO means something different in England.
As she heads down to the Janitors cubby hole, I assume its a in-joke in the department store. The janitor who acts like hes in charge is a running thing in British fiction (see Harry Potter) based on, well, janitors in general!