Christians Against Slipknot: A Facebook Page

Day to day, down the street and around the world
AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Christians Against Slipknot: A Facebook Page

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:14 pm

For a while I've been following this facebook group Christians Against Slipknot. The status posts, even when in the guise of a teenage girl, were too clever to not have something going on behind the doors. It's a satire page where editors from metal magazines go to post, mockingly, on behalf of the people out there who oppose metal from behind the cross. I don't want to spoil too much, even though I already have (but I don't think it'll hurt since you guys don't listen to it anyway).

I heavily enjoy this page simply due to the fact that it exposes the lack of intelligence of humankind on both sides of the fence. In which, I find thoroughly entertaining. So, if you are ever bored and are looking for some great satire, I recommend liking them and enjoying the editors' stories and the communities reactions to them.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Re: Christians Against Slipknot: A Facebook Page

Post by Joseph » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Now just because metal isn't my first choice in music as a listener doesn't mean, as a musician, I don't appreciate musicianship and go production. But I've said that before. On topic... Yes, I absolutely love the hilarity behind satire such as this.

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:24 am

Joseph wrote:Now just because metal isn't my first choice in music as a listener doesn't mean, as a musician, I don't appreciate musicianship and go production.
In which case you'd have a hard time appreciating Slipknot. From horrible production that is apparently "wanted" because it adds a certain "touch" to the music to uhm ah, never mind. I can't for the life of me figure out how this entire genre of "scream at the top of your lungs while the rest of the band abuse their instruments and sprinkle with garage-band level of prodution quality"* sort of metal became popular. Yeah I get it, you guys are angry, life is horrible, angst alert and all, but eh... *sigh*

The Facebook page is hilarious though. Thanks for sharing, even if I don't like supposed antagonist at all. :haha:

*Unless it is really well done and actually has some production value, in which case it can be totally awesome. Like Mercenary.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:05 am

I'm just going to grin and shake my head at you, Majestic. Nothing I say will change your mind.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:58 am

AngryKidJoe wrote:I'm just going to grin and shake my head at you, Majestic. Nothing I say will change your mind.
See, you know I'm right and that's why you give up. :razz:

Nah, seriously, (musical) tastes are different. Would be boring if everyone liked the same things. My boss at work tries his best to convince us all that lounge music and jazz are superior genres. Can't say that worked either. :haha:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:03 pm

I'd like to point out that I do not listen to Slipknot. While they were an introductory and transitional band to me; I have a taste that is a bit more eloquent in the likes of heavy metal, as odd as that sounds. One of the funny things about death metal bands is that they write some of the most beautiful instrumentals I've ever heard. Darkest Hour has at least one on every album.

A lot of it is technically superior to a lot of music that's put out there. By superior, I don't mean better. That's a matter of preference. By superior I mean the amount of skill it requires to write and play it. But, just because the band is blasting 32nd and 64th notes and guitar solos that jump all over the frets while retaining a melody with synchronized timing changes doesn't mean it's the best music out there. If one can't hear and recognize it; what good is it? It took quite a few years of weening myself into it to fully notice and appreciate it.

The only genres that compare with its technical superiority are Blues, Classical and Jazz. But, like all things, variation helps. Kind of like sex; sometimes hard and fast is what is desired; sometimes slow and passionate. Following suit; a large chunk of the instrumentals are slower than the other songs. In fact, a lot of them are acoustic. *chuckles* One of the most technical guitarists in the world (played for the death metal super project Pyrithion) actually spends most of his time playing in an outlaw country band in LA.

There are a lot of asshole metal heads that stomp around with the attitude of "Metal is better than all!" In a sense... it very well may be. Though, that doesn't excuse elitism and the lack of appreciation for other disciplines and genres of music. I mean, few people have 'No Gods' by Darkest Hour stuck in their head. Yet, millions of people have 'Call Me Maybe' stuck in their head and happily so.

I'm going to close this by saying I'm not one of those that has the latter happily stuck in my head.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:41 pm

slipknot totally sucks but that page is kinda funny.
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:09 pm

The fourth is of course my favourite.

*sigh* Really makes me miss my guitars. Of course, like my bike, my guitars and amp are in her basement. I left them there because this room I have in this basement is so tiny. I swear it's only twice the size of the main bedroom closet at her house. I just really, really want this hell I'm living through to end. I just want a job. A decent, honest, no bullshit, no being harassment, job so I can feel secure, eat, pay rent and get my life back.

Back on topic, I probably wouldn't like the rest of As Blood Runs Black's stuff but I do quite like that acoustic bit. And the pic with the video, which I assume is the album cover.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:08 pm

majestic wrote:
AngryKidJoe wrote:I'm just going to grin and shake my head at you, Majestic. Nothing I say will change your mind.
See, you know I'm right and that's why you give up. :razz:
Yep something I learned a while back Joe.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:09 am

I don't care about facebook and I only know slipknot from the gossip columns. Might have to do some youtube searches to correct that ;)

Regarding technical versus esthetic, I've always been a sucker for honest to Fish good vocals. Something I've thought to be the hardest "instrument" to master, as you have to provide both the "instrument" and the mastery of the instrument.

Only thing comparable for me are those rare artists that also are able to build their own instruments.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:17 pm

AngryKidJoe wrote:Yet, millions of people have 'Call Me Maybe' stuck in their head and happily so.

I'm going to close this by saying I'm not one of those that has the latter happily stuck in my head.
Hey, Call Me Maybe isn't *that* bad. :haha:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Call Me by Blondie is better.

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Ah well, the old problems of Death Metal. They often have talented musicians in the bands, as shown by these instrumentals, only to ruin it with the vocalist, like with Nile. Every time I listen to something by them (which usually just happens by accident) I just want to stuff a sock in the face of that vocalist.

It's not that growls are bad per se, they can be great. Most often though, they're not.

What I would consider "great" growls:

Dark Tranquillity - ThereIn (that one would be very far up my personal list of best songs ever, actually)
Brimstone - Pagan Sons (This isn't a complex piece of music in any way, just to showcase the vocal style)
Sirenia - Meridian (actually Sirenia is just completely awesome, who else than Morten Veland could possibly combine a french choir and a violin with Gothic Metal...)

It's becoming annoyingly harder to find decent quality on YouTube. What's with all that low bitrate horse manure that's uploaded? I had to click through 6 different Meridians until finding one that didn't skip or sound like it's been ripped from some muffled 64kbit internet radio. Not that this particular video would have great sound quality, but it's still better than the others. Sigh.

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:33 pm

all I know about Slipknot is Silverbow hated them. Called them shitknot. All else I am learning from this thread.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan