Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

Day to day, down the street and around the world
Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Re: Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

Post by Marcus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Wow.

Maybe its a cultural thing for them. A tradition. Christian thing?

Or they are in a marriage where they marriage to get the other inside the nation?

He seem like a decent guy although! Its good you can talk with him and discuss things.

I hold my thumbs that you get this job!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Love is love, Marcus. Culture and Christianity have nothing to do with a married couple doing absolutely nothing together. And he is a good guy. She is not a particularly pleasant person. And honestly, I have indeed wondered quire a few times if their marriage was based on less than romantic love.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:57 am

Depending on where they are from, it could be a pre-arranged/clan thing. Makes you wonder if something changed in their life or living overseas just wasn't what they had planned for/expected.

I've seen couples slightly similar before, where one part is the obvious "grounded" one and the other the "flighty" one. Maybe opposites really do attract sometimes.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:09 am

That's hilarious. You guys and your wild speculation. :D I guess I need to write out detailed biographies of all parties so you guys don't get wacky ideas. Between you, Marcus and majestic with his wild one-eyed trouser snake magic ideas... Not every part of Africa practices some bizarre clan/cult magic. Oh, you guys crack me up.

Like many people from the less wealthy parts of the globe, coming here was in their plans. They've just made poor financial decisions and his career hasn't gone as intended. And it's not a case of being grounded vs flighty. Well... maybe. But then only because I consider walking around singing hymns rather flighty to be honest. She's just miserable and inconsiderate. There's no pre-arranged/clan thing going on here. My suspicion is that the marriage was for citizenship, though. He's been here much longer than her from what I understand and they're from different parts of Ghana. Then again, it could have been a marriage based on love and I've only seen the lack of it because they are miserable and strained over finances.

majestic

Post by majestic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:52 am

Joseph wrote:Between you, Marcus and majestic with his wild one-eyed trouser snake magic ideas... Not every part of Africa practices some bizarre clan/cult magic. Oh, you guys crack me up.
That's something at least. ;)

However, Certain African cultures do indeed not put much value on what us Westerners usually see as signs of a happy couple (kissing, holding hands, etc.), so these shouldn't serve as a basis for judging their relationship status.

Everything else though sounds just like marriage anywhere. :haha:
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:48 pm

Back to the stress and anxiety for a bit...

I've only managed the one interview in the past two months (one in ten in this city are out of work) and despite the positive vibe that carried me through the weekend and the early part of this week, as it's now Friday... the stress and anxiety are back. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get the job I interviewed for. They seem like a decent company, decent people and I desperately need something decent. Couldn't pay July's rent. Can't pay August's. If I get a job, I can dig myself out of that hole but the waiting is really wearing on me.

Sent a little follow up note this morning so... Just hoping and praying right now.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Dear Sweet Merciful Fish!

I have to get out of this place! Get a job. Get two jobs if I can. Scrimp, save, get caught up on my rent and move! I simply can't take much more.

It's like that classic Star Trek episode, Return of the Archons, everyone wandering around with those zombified mindless smiles. The over-the-top religious bit. The singing of hymns. The belief in demonic possession. The complete and utter lack of courtesy with the crashing and banging and constant noise keeping me up late, waking me up early.

And 50% of the time, when I try to escape the confines of my dreary little afterthought wedged between the tenant's kitchen and bathroom room by going out on the front porch, getting some fresh air, a little contemplative peace and quiet... invariably one or the other appears. I don't use their backyard or deck. I get the cement steps out front. So why, when I'm out there does she have to come and stand right behind me, talking as loud as she can on her cell phone. Why doesn't she use the back yard? Or him. Sometimes he's on the phone. Sometimes he just stands there silently, two feet behind me for a minute or so then turns and walks goes back inside.

The atmosphere, the environment, the idiocy, the weirdness, the creepy factor, and I've only scratched the surface in these posts... It is not restful or peaceful. Taking this place was never intended to be more than temporary and now I find myself clenching my teeth all too often when I'm just trying to get some peace and quiet and fresh air.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:21 am

man, yeah, sounds totally creepy. i couldn't handle the blissed out bible thumping. and they sound like they make a lot of really dumb decisions.
magnus wants me. he's so gay.

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:49 am

Joseph wrote:The atmosphere, the environment, the idiocy, the weirdness, the creepy factor, and I've only scratched the surface in these posts... It is not restful or peaceful.
Any news on your follow-up note?
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Well, on Friday the chap that interviewed me asked me for my references so he could do the check. Companies only do that when they intend to hire you so... fingers cross I'll be starting soon.

It's with an ISP. I'd applied for a tech support agent position but when he contacted me Friday he said he'd filled the tech support openings and was I interested in the inbound sales position and if so, provide my references. I'm guessing that was because my last tech support position was nine years ago and aside from doing that for a year, pretty much the rest of my resume is sales and customer service management so he probably decided I was better suited to sales.

Either way, a job is a job and the company does seem to be a decent one.

PS We have this wonderful forum, just above this one, the Winterwind Papers for all that lovely content on the site. You should try it sometime. Better for you than replying to month old troll posts in Forum and Website Feedback. Unless you just like baiting. ;)

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Joseph wrote:PS We have this wonderful forum, just above this one, the Winterwind Papers for all that lovely content on the site. You should try it sometime. Better for you than replying to month old troll posts in Forum and Website Feedback. Unless you just like baiting. ;)
I considered baiting Fluffy for his apparently never finished "Why I hate deconstructions" article and decided against it - I doubt it'll ever be coming (whether as post or as an entry makes little difference there).

Actually, I been readin' thru some of the threads in the Papers forum. Really. I'm usually at a loss as to what to comment on the articles. I read the article about Agatha Christie for instance. I'm not sure what to say. I haven't read any of her offerings, most likely never will either, and my distaste for her genre of choice certainly doesn't help.

I have yet to encounter a crime book/show/movie/whatever that I truly would appreciate, unless you wish to count the X-Files which are only superficially related in as much as they're about the FBI investigating cases and Trautmann, which none of you can possibly know, as it is an Austrian series of 10 direct-to-TV films, which I liked because the actual investigating is done in a more realistic manner than in most crime entertainment - and mostly off screen (seriously, if you would depict actual investigative work for entertainment, people would most likely fall asleep), while the films are kept together by a very dark humor and often cliche free resolutions of the cases, as well as the actors involved.

Hmm. This is going off on a tangent here that would be relatively off-topic for this thread. Consider splitting it off to die alone somewhere, uncommented. ;)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Nah, we can make a case for it being on topic since WW is indeed a part of me. We've done some decent work over the years. It's on my resume as editor/publisher so...

Yeah, not every article is the same ya know. Arts, pop culture, social issues. Covers a lot of ground. Maybe you don't like the short stories. Read the opinion columns. Maybe you don't like those. Read the short stories. Maybe you want to keep an eye on Choyrt's new column. Wide variety to appeal to many interests.

And I love Trautmann! It was hellacool!

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Joseph wrote:Nah, we can make a case for it being on topic since WW is indeed a part of me. We've done some decent work over the years. It's on my resume as editor/publisher so...

Yeah, not every article is the same ya know. Arts, pop culture, social issues. Covers a lot of ground. Maybe you don't like the short stories. Read the opinion columns. Maybe you don't like those. Read the short stories. Maybe you want to keep an eye on Choyrt's new column. Wide variety to appeal to many interests.

And I love Trautmann! It was hellacool!
The gaming column would certainly be fun, but it's blocked. Something on it made the web filter go off instantly. I could comment on months-old articles, but hey... that would be... odd. ;)

Where the hell did you get to see Trautmann? Its hard to believe that anyone outside of Austria could appreciate it (much less understand... eh, probably not even the Germans, at least without subtitles). :haha:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Considering your intelligence I can't believe you fell for that. Wasn't the "hellacool" a dead give away? :D

As for the articles... nine new pieces in the last four/five weeks doesn't equate months old. Anything with "Ezine Issue #Whatever" is but the other stuff is brand new. Wonder why you have an issue with the new/old post notifications. Hmm. Must be an IE issue since I use FF and it never steers me wrong. ;)

As for Choyrt's gaming column... only thing different there from the other articles are screenshots. Maybe your filter at work blocks the images for some reason?

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Joseph wrote:Considering your intelligence I can't believe you fell for that. Wasn't the "hellacool" a dead give away? :D
No, it wasn't, I remember you were off to Budapest at some time or another in what seems to be a lifetime ago. I thought mayhaps you had... ah hell. You evil little deceiver you, no wonder you don't like your proper, Christian landlords! I bet you just need a good exorcism.
As for the articles... nine new pieces in the last four/five weeks doesn't equate months old. Anything with "Ezine Issue #Whatever" is but the other stuff is brand new. Wonder why you have an issue with the new/old post notifications. Hmm. Must be an IE issue since I use FF and it never steers me wrong. ;)
No, it's a problem with phpBB's post tracking system. A problem that existed back when we all were at Interplay (BIS used a different software) and one that apparently still exists. The "Hey I have marked all topics as READ for you, ain't that convenient?" bug is a lot more common and no, I don't think that would make me miss an article. Nothing that would incite me to post a comment so far though.

Not the fault of the articles though, they're good enough.
As for Choyrt's gaming column... only thing different there from the other articles are screenshots. Maybe your filter at work blocks the images for some reason?
No, it's certainly not the screenshots. The filter does a word analysis and auto-blocks sites (which are then "pending investigation") that are "suspicious", meaning the would fall under a generally blocked category, like gaming. Heurestics, much like in modern anti-virus software. If it acts like a virus, block it. Better safe than sorry.