The Truth about Minsc

Creative arts of all kinds, produced and consumed
choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

The Truth about Minsc

Post by choyrt » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:49 am

Despite the relaxing chorus of crickets, Cim found no sleep. She leaned against a thick oak, seating herself between its roots while biting her nails. It was a nervous habit that she avoided when anyone was present.

Enviously she watched the chests of her party members rise and fall as they slept. Keldorn was the first to dooze off. The man could sleep anywhere, anytime. Next to him laid Anomen. Cim often found it funny that despite the constant bickering between the two, Anomen would only sleep at Keldorn's side.

As for Jaheira, she snored. Loudly. But Cim wouldn't dare disturb Jaheira from a deep sleep. Not after last time.

Cim wrapped herself tighter in her cloak, despite the night not being chilly. Tomorrow she would lead them into Firkaag's dungeon, and her worries were compounded beyond normal when Keldorn speculated that Firkaag was actually a dragon.

She had never seen a dragon before. How do you fight such a powerful enemy you know nothing about? The stress from this and many other questions had kept her awake long after the party had collapsed from near exhaustion. No fires were lit for fear of being found in the woods by Firkaaq's patrols.

Cim's eyes happened upon Minsc. He was leaning against a tree, the blue moonlight giving a polished sheen to his head. Minsc had volunteered for watch that night, and did so vigilantly while kissing the top of Boo's head.

He was the complete model of ease, calm and centered. Cim smiled and momentarily forgot her burden.

"What's it like, Minsc? What's it like, being you?"

Minsc looked to her, his eyes in shadow. His face was difficult to read. Boo climbed along his shoulder and slipped down his collar. Silently stepping over everyone, he settled next to her on a root. With an unusually thoughtful sigh, Minsc answered.

"What do you think it's like?" His accent was gone, and his face suddenly held an awareness that Cim had never known Minsc to have.

She gasped. Her hand went to her dagger. Minsc snickered.

"Come on, now. You're not that good . . ." It was like someone else was in his body. "Relax, let them sleep. Let your blade sleep too." In the dark she could see him smiling.

"Who are you?!" Cim snarled, slowly making her way to her feet.

"Minsc." He said plainly.

"I know Minsc, and you're n-"

"Do you? Do you know the man who you call Minsc?"

Cim was silent.

"I remember the day we met. I'm the same man who hammered Davaeorn into the ground. It's me. It's Minsc."

"I don't understand."

"That's fine." Minsc rearranged himself amongst the tree's thick roots to become more comfortable. "That's fine. Sit down and relax. Or are you going to maze me?" he said with a bit of sarcasm.

Saying nothing, Cim sat.

"You can live and die calling me Minsc, and it would be no lie. As for my loyalties, I think I've proven myself several times over. Don't you?"

"You're still not explaining."

"Oh sure I am. I just need to do it slowly. I don't want to stress you out more than you are. Anyhow, what I was saying was I've proven myself. You've seen me fight at your side and I've been loyal and I've defended anyone who has followed under your banner. I try not to give you too much hassle and most of all, I try and keep moral high."

Cim nodded.

"I know you know all this."

Cim nodded.

"Anyhow, the truth is I am not as dumb as you have been led to believe."

"Why? Why the lie? Where are you actually from? Does anyone else know?""

Minsc smiled. "There's the questions. You're always about the questions." He nodded in approval. "Firstly, pretending to be dumb as a post is useful, in that you thusly control other's expectations of you. I find it a useful tool in nearly everything. You immediately assumed I was struck in the head as a child when you first met me by the road."

"What else was I supposed to think!?" Cim declared loudly. Minsc hushed her.

"Nothing! Nothing. You did nothing wrong and it wasn't a test. It's just my way of getting around with people. But anyhow, that's how I approached you."

"And that's how you've remained! Even in our most private moments together when we lost friends!" she snarled. "Why!? When Dynaheir died you managed to keep the presence of mind to maintain your guise!"

Minsc sighed. "Dynaheir was a wonderful woman. She was the first responsibility I had taken on in a long, long time. The feelings are true, despite how I express them."

"How can I believe you?"

"Does how I express myself change how I feel? Does it ma-"

"You can't help but express your feelings. Whether orc or elf or dwarf!"

"Oh? Is that right? You mean, you express your feelings of rage and bloodlust? You tell us openly of how you're terrified? You confide in us how unsure you are of how this will all turn out? No, no you don't. Instead, you walk out front and tall, leading us on without flinching only to gnaw your nails to the nub when everyone's asleep."

"Then why do you follow me? You obviously know better. What if I give you a wrong command and you die?" Cim's resentment colored her voice.

"Then I die. It's one of the many things I have experienced being with you. Which brings me to my whole point! That's why I'm here and act the way I do!"

"For experience?"

"Right."

"Wrong. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, even for Minsc."

"I'm still Min-"

"Where are you from? No lectures. Just answer."

"I'm from a place where you've never been, and never will be. You couldn't even gauge my age because it could never me measured in time."

"And what in the nine hells is that supposed to mean?"

"Cim, just calm down. Where I'm from and what I am can be for another late night chat."

"Don't give me a hard time in regards to what we discuss when. You did, after all, find this the right moment to drop this fire-ball on me."

"The reason why I did so was that I want you to know you've got a little bit more punch in your corner than you may have thought." Cim thought of all the times Minsc was swinging his mace, and how his face was so stern and focused while doing so. In battle, he always reacted sharply and always remained tactical in his choice of targets and approach. Cim examined his face.

"Is Firkaag a dragon?"

"Cim, you . . . you can't ask me that."

"Why not?"

"You've done amazingly well and have gotten us all by so far! I'm not about to start opening my mouth now. Besides, then it will no longer be your quest, but mine."

Cim thought for a long time. Her hand went up to her mouth so that she could nibble on her nails, but she caught herself. Folding her hands in her lap, she spoke.

"You're not doing this for the experience." She said mildly. "You're running from something."

The two sat quiet, listening to the Crickets' song.

"What is it you think I'm running from?" Minsc asked eventually.

"Some responsibility, I guess. So you come here. To this continent or plane or time or whatever and decided to play the smallest role you can manage."

Minsc nodded, deep in thought. "Something you've been wanting to do for a long time yourself. I think you can understand."

She did. And that calmed her.

"Well . . ." she began, exasperated. "What about Boo? I mean, is he really a giant space hamster?"

"Yes. Yes he is."

Cim's eyes widened and she sat erect. Mouth agape, she fumbled for words. "Is that-r-really . . . he is!?"

"Nah, I'm just pulling your leg. I really do love him, though. I mean, how couldn't you?" He smiled mischievously.

She laughed, and felt good doing it. The pre-dawn sunlight was revealing Misnc's face more and as he snickered, she realized that he actually had a handsome face, and his body moved with more care and subtly, like he was suddenly conscience.

"I still don't know if I can trust you . . ."

"Today you'll see more proof of why you can. And tomorrow and the day after that."

"Truth is I'm always afraid that I won't be able to have them raised. What if I make the wrong decision or lose my nerve?"

"I wouldn't be here following you if I thought you 'freezing up' was actually a possibility." Looking around, Minsc saw the growing light in the trees. "Well, it's time to get things together." He stood up, and began walking toward the sleeping party. Three strides away, he stopped. Turning with a smile he spoke. "Watch me work my magic." He whispered with a wink.

Tromping around he stretched and yawned loudly. "Morning has come and now it's time for the seven most powerful goodness doers to trample evil once more! Are you exited!?" Minsc said with his usual fire, his tongue lazy once more.

Anomen groaned, and stirred. "Perhaps I would be . . . if I didn't have such a back ache from sleeping in my full plate every night . . ."

"If I wanted to wake up next to complaining, I would have just stayed home." Keldorn rang out as he rolled to his feet.

Jaheira rolled onto her knees and began cracking her neck. Yoshimo dropped from the trees above, shook his feet, and began doing his morning stretches.

"Are we ready!?" Minsc beamed. "Well!?"

"Ready for a bath? Oh yes . . ." Anomen said, sniffing Keldorn. Keldorn was preparing a reply when Cim spoke out, standing on her feet with her cloak clasped, her skin now stone.

"No games today. We'll have Lord Jierdan Firkaag on his knees before the sun hits the other horizon. Bury all food and nonessential items here. We battle light today."

Sober nods came from everyone. Minsc beamed. "I sense the inspiration for songs coming on! We should commission a Bard to walk with us! We will be his battle muses!"

"Sure thing, Minsc." Cim said, smiling. "Sure thing."

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:58 am

Excellent concept! I never would have thought to do that with Minsc.

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:46 am

:D

Eldar

Post by Eldar » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:01 am

Well, you know... There always was something a bit, I dunno, sinister about that portrait in BGII. There had to be something more to Minsc than met the eye all along.
[quote="Ewen Brown"][size=75]i guess someone will quote this making it utterly pointless, but there, it's been said[/size][/quote]

UnholyAvenger

Post by UnholyAvenger » Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:02 am

I've looked at Minsc's character sheet. He really is that stupid.

You have some good writing ability, though, choyrt.
http://godhatesshrimp.com Take a stand against shellfish!
http://youmustrecover.com Not a spam website!
Stickin' it to the man since 1988.

Cladius

Post by Cladius » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:50 am

This was very well written... it´s so good I think I actually will take Minsc along the road on my next replay of Bg, knowing that he isn´t so stooopid as he seems to be.. :haksthumbsup:

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The Truth about Minsc

Post by choyrt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:55 pm

I wrote this twelve years and two novels ago, and you know what? I'm still proud of it.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:14 am

As you should be. :)

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Actually, I yanked it from here, revised it, and I'm going to commission a cover for it and give it away for free.

Where should I give it away? Fan fiction forums and Wattpad are ideal, also if I have it as a PDF would we want to give it away from Winterwind as a free download?

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am

We certainly could. And I'm almost to the point of updating the site... it's just mentally and emotionally taxing considering the disappointment derived from the now former team we had at the time.

But you're a good egg, Choyrt old sport so I'll dos its for youse. ;)