Fallout: The Self Destruction

Creative arts of all kinds, produced and consumed
AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Fallout: The Self Destruction

Post by AngryKidJoe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:39 pm

I don't sleep much or often and when I do get a "normal" amount of sleep, I dislike it. Usually because when I awaken I feel unmotivated or depressed. Sometimes I don't like it because I'll have dreams that will annoy me for an extended period of time. What brings this post on is a dream I had last night. As far as I'm aware it maintained the full twelve hours that I slept. The reason I say that is because of the amount of detail and depth is wielded. I could feel metal scraping against bone, a knife cut through resilient tissue, and smell sulfur and rot. The dream attacked all of my senses and has slightly altered a perspective I have. It was also enlightening on my current situation. Yet, I'm not sure if I can quite classify it as a nightmare. Terrifying it was, but not in a way that I would, as said, classify as a nightmare.

I was at my grandparents' on my father's side with a small group of people. These people were around my age, 25ish, and we seemed to be touring my grandma's garden. It was gorgeous. Vibrant colors and scents only stimulated my interest listening to her talk about her passion and knowledge of each plant. Continuing on, weaving through corridors of tall bushes and rustic farm equipment, she continued her tour. Birds chirped, which only added to the natural ecstacy of floran environment. The sun was warm and there was little wind. The day was a perfect day for such an event.

I was wearing all black, as usual. My shirt was a Shadow Conspiracy shirt. A BMX related company that keeps it's image dark and it's art styles usually involve crows. This is significant because I couldn't help but notice one crow out of all of the birds present. It kept looking west and it always stayed in my vision no matter how close I got to it. It never actually flew away. It looked at me, then it looked west again. I thought of Jody. It looked at me, nodded once, then west and fluttered it's wings with urgence. That's when I noticed what it was looking at. I instantly thought of Jody again.

The sky was flooding red and there was a series of mushroom clouds on the horizon. I froze, thinking nothing of it as it didn't seem very probable. I chuckled and jokingly thought of what I'd do in that situation if it were real. Then everyone started panicing. Remembering the farm equipment, I recalled noticing the bucket of a front end loading tractor that was laying propped up against the inside of a bar. I fled to it and tipped it over with myself inside.

It was dark, hot, and I had uncomfortabilities breathing because the dirt was a little moist. The heat increased with tremors in the earth. It sounded like a train going by on ill-kept tracks. It got louder and hotter. The noise was so intense that I had to cover my ears. I could only think of the well being of the woman I love and her son. Everything shook while the earth quaked but all I could here was a constant rumbling. It went on for a few minutes and then quickly faded out.

I tried tipping the tractor bucket but it was too hot. I had to keep blinking because the heat was hurting my eyes. I dug under the metal bucket. The ground was bone dry and burned my skin. I finally crawled out of my make-shift fallout shelter. Every direction looked the same. Dust was settling and the only colors were variants of reds, browns, and blacks. Everything was smoking. My car was hundreds of feet away. The metal was bare and warped. It looked like a rusted skeleton for a VW Jetta. My backpack was still intact so I grabbed that and rummaged the remains of my grandma's kitchen. In the refrigerator, which I found knocked over and in a field nearby, I acquired some bottled water. Eventually I found some granola bars as well. I headed back to my mom's place in Stevens Point, from Almond.

I walked every step of the way. Every step was an additional collection of thoughts. I needed to know if Reilly and Jody were all right. Time did not seem to exist at this point. It wasn't until I got home that the sky changed. It was getting darker but I still couldn't see the sky. The red and the smoke were just darkening and it was getting cooler, but it was still abnormally warm ... and dry.

I got home, well, the littered remains of home. My road bicycle was still intact, which was good, I needed a method of transportation. Thinking ahead, I also strapped a knife my friend Jim got me for my birthday to my belt. I also grabbed my katana. They were conveniently placed near each other in the rubble. All of these items were the only things that had color as well. They shone, everything else was dull. I found a spare inner tube and my bag of tools for my bike. They were placed in my backpack. Walking to my bike, I stepped on something glass. I picked up the upside down picture frame that was beneath my foot. I flipped it over and the picture was terribly burned and I only recognized it as a picture of Jody and myself because of the frame it was in. I tossed it down and headed west.

I looted stores I came across for energy bars, water, and the like. To save repeat stories I'll just go into this little bit of detail. There were other survivors. Most of them were either too traumatized by the event or they went banded together. Some groups were survivalists. There were groups that I called "reavers" which was taken from the TV Series Firefly. These people banded together (if you can call their lack of organization "banding") and raped, pillaged, murdered, cannibalized... there was no law and their chaos was a prime reminder of that. I slew many of them in their sleep whenever convenient and the probability of me surviving was high. I poisoned their water and food supplies after I stole for myself. These people had no place in a civilized world.

Traveling 2,200 miles, one ran into situations where he needed to defend himself. That I did. There were hundreds of occasions where my blades and bearings were put to the test. I didn't always come away clean, but I always came away. I had to stitch myself shut as well as stay put for weeks to let and injury heal. Not a moment went by when I didn't think about Jody and Reilly.

During those 2,200 miles, you don't always find food and water. Some of the reavers I killed, I stripped, cooked, and dried their meat. I felt every scrap of metal and bone doing so. I smelt every bit of cooking, burning, and rotting of dried meat in the sun. Luckily, I scarcely had issues with hydration.

Upon venturing, I finally arrived to northern California. I ran into a friend who was a military buff. Much like me, he despises corporate humanity. Yet there he was, protecting the corporate zombies that lost everything. He was succeeding. I myself had been protecting them by reducing the population of reavers. I asked if he knew where she and her son were or the condition they were in. He did not, so I went about my way.

Later, I ran into an old friend who's lifestyle I disagree with. Yet, with how morally decrepid I thought her life choices were, she was helping those in need. That changed my perspective of her. I told her about the military friend, She knows him as well, and she convinced her party to meet up with him. I continued on alone, still with my worries unanswered.

Post-apocalyptic California looked the same as it did in Wisconsin. The sky cleared, but it the atmosphere was identical. I found the street sign of where she lived but no signs of her. I found pictures and the skeleton of her Kia in the driveway. There were no bodies in or around the rubble. They could've disintigrated when the bombs fell. I felt a sense of loss then. It was terrible. I didn't cry, though. I tensed. I got angry. My adrenaline shot through my veins and I wanted nothing but a violent end to anything else in existence. I immediately thought of the possibility of my two loved ones still breathing and didn't think either would approve of my reaction. Nor would it be effective for a new co-parent for her son. I regathered myself and kept cool and continued my search. I would find them. Alive or dead. I would know what happened to them or die trying.

I continued on and only had one encounter with the reavers. It was night and I saw fires. I heard screaming and gutteral growling. The screams eventually stopped and I kept to the shadows but crept closer. I heard wet flesh ripping and the air smelled like coins. The reavers were feasting. Some were raping the corpses. Some were eating. Some were raping the corpses that others were eating. There were roughly sixty of them. I fled. I was outnumbered significantly.

My face slammed into the ground, a body held me down by the shoulders with it's arms. It's teeth gouged into my neck. I grabbed my arm around in an awkward headlock position and flipped it over. I grabbed my knife and drove it into it's throat and pulled to the side, opening it's airways. It gurgled and ravaged for a minute. It slowed then stopped. I couldn't run because the others would see me. I watched them feast. I watched my predator die. He looked familiar. I couldn't pinpoint as to where.

I decided to search it's pockets and to my dream decided to give me the identity of my would-be assassin. The driver's license was in the back pocket. I was not surprised that this person gave in to the savage life of a reaver. After thinking about it, I became less and less surprised. But I kept the thought in the there and now and let it die with the corpse. I still had to find Jody and Reilly.

I awoke to me searching through rubble the next day, asking another group of survivors if they recognized the name. Nobody knew. I was slowly losing my sanity but not my focus was only hardening. I'm still awake and recalling the details of that dream, and if it becomes recurring, I can only wonder if I'll ever find those two.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Between your BMX article and this, I'm quite impressed with your writing. Surprised too since, until both of these, I never knew that you did write. And you do it well.

That's a very vivid and detailed dream. I've had a few like it myself. And because it's so enjoyable, I won't nitpick it like I did in the last Indiana Jones movie where "nuking the fridge" replaced "jumping the shark". :wink:

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:40 pm

There are a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, but what do you expect from a slopped together recollection of a dream 24 hours earlier at 3AM?

And I'm well aware that I would not have survived the nuclear blasts.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:52 pm

I wasn't going to nitpick spelling/grammar. I only do that when editing and I do that silently. :wink:

It was the surviving under the tractor shovel. But hey, sci-fi dreams, like movies, don't need scientific accuracy for a good story.

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 am

yes!!! dude rides BMX and kills peopel in a post apoc world! AKJ FTW!!!
magnus wants me. he's so gay.