Chance of a lifetime

Creative arts of all kinds, produced and consumed
Firstborn

Chance of a lifetime

Post by Firstborn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Hah! Thought this would be something important did you? Well, you were wrong. Utterly.

You see, I'm in need of some low expectation drawing exercises to get my skill up to gear again. So, I was thinking. Contest? Sort of.

Thing is, give me a description of a character of yours, a cool accessory or mechanical device you'd like to see drawn. And I'll give it a go, if it sparks my interest. As I said, low expectation drawing, so it will be in graphite and quite sketchy. It can be scanned for your amusement though, if you'd happen to like to see it.

So, what do you say? :)
"Love isn't blind, it's retarded!"

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:06 pm

I think it's a lovely idea, fits with AKJ's suggestion of changing the name of this forum from Creative Writing to Creative Arts and... makes me wonder what the hell happened to him anyhow. He was all pumped up for a few months, made some great suggestions for the site/zine and disappeared.

Well, you should get your artsy friends to join to my dear. The more the merrier.

As for sketches... I wonder if we could persuade you to do sketches of the characters of our RPG party. That would be cool.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:36 am

Hmmmnnz it might be the current state i'm in but i feel even i might take a shot at that prize, expect no more sock puppets though...
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:29 am

I like ruins, sewers, swamps, derelict space ships and the like as backdrops for a story/character... but that is probably too unspecific and unhelpful. I'll see if I can come up with something more specific :)
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:00 am

Gritty, gothic europe, translyvania with vampires and werewolfs...Ravenloft :D

Oh and...of course our characters would be pretty awesome.

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Hmm, who knows these three old character concepts of mine spark your interest:

"Biscuit Bobby" A grotesquely fat haggler, former pirate, which i would picture with a red bandana over his bald face, rather standard clothing, though he is wearing a hawaiian flower chain over that, and is carrying a well furnished persian carpet on his shoulder. He is always on the lookout for gold and food, maybe a gamble once in a while, with an almost sick grin spanning ear to ear. I could also see him grinning like that sitting over a bar of gold or spoon and fork in hand, in a top room of a windy tower in a well travelled port city.

"Jandal, O Akram Melik", A carefully groomed comic book star from arabian offspring, Jandal is all about becoming a hero in the eyes of smallfolk. Wearing a breastplate under a sweaty white shirt where breasthair curls up from underneat, you will usually see him take poses over stuffed animals or giant cut down trees. In those situations the lighting is perfect, and Jandal has a team of script writers, groomers and slaves around him, to cut down such trees, take the best position and be powdered for the correct shot. Comics are released of him doing the greatest adventures on his own, and while myths surround his appearance he actually can do little, apart from some magic tricks, and a lot of talk. Poses that would come to mind first are him standing over a stuffed trophy, with smallfolk throwing flowers at his feet. Something minor should be wrong about it though.

"Guillaume Vaugrenard" is an even more well groomed son of noble bloodline. Long blond curls fall from his hair as he stands chivalrously on his heavily embroidered wooden leg, trident and net on his back. You would normally see him coming down into an inn about half an hour past breakfast, looking great with his long hairs falling downward while he combs trough it looking at himself with a silver mirror. Guillaume would be an extremely arrogant skirt hunter, eyeing the bar for prey for the night he would throw out remarks that only are accepted because of his bloodline, and the women knowing theres money in it if they please his poshy stature. Favorite poses would be behind his grimoire, loving himself, or coming into a bar in great style, going trough his hair with his comb and holding his small mirror. If you like the idea, the mirror can be intelligent, and be the only one to return his love.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Sorry, nope. Our RPG party takes precedence.

Erisael first, then Bactar, then Magnus' new character. Nothing for Merlance unless he discovers this thread on his own. :wink:

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:50 pm

give yourself a nice long characters' appearance description for her then, you cant expect her to read trough those 45 pages ;)

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 am

D. Sauzi! Hilarious and charming people you've got there. What wonderful characters!
Yes, indeed inspiring! I will give Biscuit Bobby a try. :)

And Joseph, I'm a lazy lady, so Sauzi is right, I won't be reading through your 45 pages. Nope.
So, if you guys want them sketched out, you'll have to sum their personalities an appearance up in this thread. ^^

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm

@ dousi... why would Lina need to go through 45 pages of a play posts when the character descriptions are in the reference thread? Hmm?

And Lina... see my above point. Besides, no-one, except dousi for some strange reason, would even think of you going through 45 pages, especially when that's the wrong thread. I was just waiting for you to reply to your own thread. :wink:

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Yeah.. Was a bit busy with working overtime last week. ^^ Not much response on the forums from me then.

And I'll have a look at that character description thread. And we'll see. If the lot of you is boring... you better get a makeover. ;)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Oh, you don't need to look. I'll tell you mine. Always intended to. Was just waiting for your response and the response of the other players first. :wink:

Firstborn

Post by Firstborn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Ok then. I'm holding my breath. :)

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Josan wrote: makes me wonder what the hell happened to him anyhow. He was all pumped up for a few months, made some great suggestions for the site/zine and disappeared.
I'm still here. Busy elsewhere and don't have much to contribute at the moment.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Trailer Park Jesus
Title: wal-mart greeter

Post by Trailer Park Jesus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:29 am

so where are the pics then? i don't see any
magnus wants me. he's so gay.