The first cheat

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

The first cheat

Post by Joseph » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:10 pm

When was the first time you used a cheat on a pc game?

Mine was about 3 years back when I discovered there was a CLUA for BG2. I'd already beaten it several times and though it was fun to just romp around like a rampaging god.

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:37 pm

My first was in 1995. A new (danish) mag called "Tips & Tricks" had just been published. It contained some cheat codes for Doom, Rise of the Triad (ROTT), and other FPS's, I think. It was kind of boring but it allowed me to walk right thru ROTT, which had tons of cheats...

I've never used any cheats for FO, BG, PS:T or IWD however, nor do I know of any...and I like to keep it that way.

Ewen Brown
Location: stalking tink to catch his invisible martian antenas at work

Post by Ewen Brown » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:40 pm

first time i used a cheat was for simcity2000 to get astronomical cash designing cities the way i wanted was much more interesting than running them profitably
stupidity causes violence

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

Runenklinge

Post by Runenklinge » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:41 pm

Wolfenstein 3D I guess (or Blake Stone?).I just couldn't be bothered to collect all those weapons on my own.
Ewen Brown wrote:first time i used a cheat was for simcity2000 to get astronomical cash designing cities the way i wanted was much more interesting than running them profitably
you ever run for mayor,I'm moving to your town.

Valqorez

Post by Valqorez » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:05 pm

I first started to cheat way way back on the C64. There was a handy little device called an "Action Reply" , which was a nifty little box that went in the cartridge port - basically, it allowed you to hack the code of a game and cheat. But in those days, £30 was a lot of money - like 4 weeks eatin' - so I didn't have one of those.

A cheaper method, someone discovered, was a "reset switch" basically it involved shorting pins 2 and 7 of the din socket on that back. Some people made little push switches with din connectors....some used a paperclip. What this would do, is stop the program from running, but leave all the code in memory so you could muck about with it.

But we couldn't afford paperclips back then, it was stationery or clothes. So cheating involved buying a C64 mag, and typing in about 10-50 lines of BASIC code before running the game. What fun fun times they were.

Of course, the C64 has long passed away, and now I manager a stationers store and have all the paperclips I could ever need :sad:
[url=http://www.singlouder.com]Chart Midi Files[/url]
[url=http://www.bluearena.com]Blue Arena hosting and Web Solutions[/url]

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:23 am

Sorry mate but near as I can tell, you were in diapers when the C64 came out. I think your have library paste flashbacks. :razz:

Spider

Post by Spider » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:12 am

For me it was when playing Civilization on Amiga with a couple of friends (we used to share playing one Civilization, there was no multiplayer in the first one). In the first edition of the game, you could issue an order to a settler then click them and re-issue the order and each time doing this would advance the progression of the order by a day. So everything built by settlers was done in a day, no matter what it was. Mine on a gold mountain, fortress on hills, everything.

It was really useful.
:)
[b]Josan[/b] on the power of commas:
"I saw a comma slay a fiendish burglyronic embryo of drenella 5 once."

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:12 am

I remember that one ^, but for the PC-DOS. It wasnt playing, it was...WORK. The bigger your 'empire' the longer it took, with each turn taking hours to complete, more or less...I consider it a bug exploit rather than an actual cheat as in using codes in a deliberate manner.

Valqorez

Post by Valqorez » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:41 am

Josan wrote:Sorry mate but near as I can tell, you were in diapers when the C64 came out. I think your have library paste flashbacks. :razz:
Ummm, I am 23 you know....

I was 7 or 8 when I got my C64 - it was my cousins - couldn't afford a new one. But in just over two years I'd amassed a collection of close to 400 games :D

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:44 pm

Ewen Brown wrote:first time i used a cheat was for simcity2000 to get astronomical cash designing cities the way i wanted was much more interesting than running them profitably

hmm the first i remember is htting ctrl-somehwat on simcity classic, you'd get 10000 gold, but if you tried to often you could get earthquakes, which gave you to much to do with the little extra money you cheated...
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Ewen Brown
Location: stalking tink to catch his invisible martian antenas at work

Post by Ewen Brown » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:54 pm

i think i used this cheat
At the beginning of a new city, type in FUND and click on YES. Type FUND again and click on YES. Pull down the window and select BUDGET. To the right of Bond Payments, you will see an open book. Click on it. Select the button, ISSUE BOND and click on YES. Select the REPAY BOND button to repay the first bond. Select the button ISSUE BOND and click on YES. Select the REPAY BOND button to repay the second bond. Select the button, ISSUE BOND and click on YES. Don't repay this bond, ever. This will give you $1.4 million every year.
stupidity causes violence

[url=http://www.winterwind-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3071#3071]Swedish Snow Glaciers and Fjords[/url]

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:57 pm

IDDQD Image
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Mr. Insomniac

Post by Mr. Insomniac » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:10 am

God Mode in Duke Nuk'em 3D

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:53 am

God mode in either Doom or Heretic. I don't know which one I played first. I suspect Doom though...
Ruald,Cleric(STR&Plantdomain)Stats16,9,12,12,18,13MaxHp14CurHp5 MemSp lvl0 DtMag(0/2)RdMag(1/1)Light(1/1) lvl1 Bless(0/1)Doom(0/1)Sanct(0/1) Money 24g/4s/1c

Pandaman

Post by Pandaman » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:05 pm

Warcraft 2. Yep, that's the one.
POWER TO THE PANDAS!!!