The first cheat

Gaming discussion for all platforms
majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:48 am

The infinite money cheat in Sim City. I guess, at least. I've always exploited bugs though, and I prolly always will. :)

I also used hex-editors to cheat. There's nothing like fooling around with your savegame. I think it was UFO: Enemy Unkown who got the liberty of having my first edited savegame. Hehehe...

Nowadays I usually use cheats in order to make a game more playable. Like Hans() in BG1 or CTRL + J in IWD(2) & BG2.
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

Purpose: Surprise party for foreign dignitary.

Lintra

Post by Lintra » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:13 pm

My first cheat was Ultima 3 ... my bro and I were stuck getting the sign of the snake. We just COULD not do it. We went over all the dungeons w/ a fine tooth comb, mapped out all 8 levels (or was it 7? Dunno it was 1986 after all), on graph paper, including the teleport traps. Just could not find it. So after checking our maps a second time, we quickly wrote a hex editor (didn't have one, so had to create it), hacked a few save files .. and in less than 30 minutes the party had the sign of the snake the the game could finally end!!

I have never felt guilty about that hack ... cheating is something I avoid like the plague ... it just ruins the game, but in this case the game was ruined anyway.

KC

Post by KC » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:29 pm

Wasn't the Simcity cheat code something with [SHIFT]+FUND (or something with a $ in it)

Anyway...my very first (though not-PC) 'cheat' was playing Tetris on my regular Gameboy, was holding down the lower keypad key and pressing select I believe for a faster mode. Kept me busy for weeks 8).

I do remember god modes for WC2, Populous erhmm...let me think...
[b]Current inventory[/b]:
- Leather armor, leather jerkin, ragged pants
- Quality dagger (from the Task Master), blowpipe, dart quiver
- A gem bag filled with some gems, copper coins, a strange amulet, a silver medaillion

majestic

Post by majestic » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:03 pm

KC wrote:WC2
Teh chickens? :P

Or are you referring to Warcraft 2?
Requested: One Mark V ECM unit, 1000 km of Fullerene cable, one low-yield nuclear warhead.

KC

Post by KC » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:04 am

majestic wrote: Teh chickens? :P

Or are you referring to Warcraft 2?
Eh...Warcraft 2 it is... dont' know that WC2 could stand for chickens (War Chicken 2 perhaps? (just thinking of names right now))...would be fun in godmod indeed 8)
[b]Current inventory[/b]:
- Leather armor, leather jerkin, ragged pants
- Quality dagger (from the Task Master), blowpipe, dart quiver
- A gem bag filled with some gems, copper coins, a strange amulet, a silver medaillion

majestic

Post by majestic » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:06 am

Nah, Wing Commander 2's cheats involved chickens...

WC was used for Wing Commander long before Blizzard even thought about Warcraft. DAMN YOU EA, DAMN YOU (no offense to employees).

D. Sauzi

Post by D. Sauzi » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:47 pm

shift FUND i believe, although some people arent talking about the money cheat for Simcity Classic, but for one from Simcity 2000.

I also remember you could make a small change in some .sys file or something from the game, to get infinite money.
I liked it less though, because i was so bad and didnt understand the game, i had a good game trying to use shift-FUND over and over and usually spend the money i got on the erathquakes that ripped my city because of it...
"anyway, smoke orcs if so take eyes if right points left xy."

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:22 pm

I "improved" the Simcity (regular, numero uno) FUND cheat. At the beginning of the game, I'd doze one bit o' forest, just to use one $, and the FUND my way beyond the regular limits. This, of course, was before I had built anything, so the earthquakes wouldn't eff anything up.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Lechu

Post by Lechu » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:55 pm

First time: Ishar I - Legend of the Fortress, Ishar II, Ishar III (great, great games, wish this series to be continued ).

I used cheat while playing Fallout 2 - unfortunately after half of the game my HDD died, so I had no patience to walk through this temple for 4th or 5th time (this beggining was horrible long and unneccessary). And Planscape Torment... While finishing it for the 3rd time, just to see some quests.

Anyway I don`t push buttons (M+L+I, anybody remember?), I prefer editing saves - it gives me more control ;)

Eldar

Post by Eldar » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:18 am

I don't cheat on the first run of anything. I cheat on PS:T every time I play now simply because I want to see everything again every time I play.
[quote="Ewen Brown"][size=75]i guess someone will quote this making it utterly pointless, but there, it's been said[/size][/quote]

Mr. Insomniac

Post by Mr. Insomniac » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:21 am

Eldar wrote:I don't cheat on the first run of anything. I cheat on PS:T every time I play now simply because I want to see everything again every time I play.
Same here, but only a little. I put the Nameless One's WIS at 18, and the rest of the stats at 15 right at the beginning, and then play the game normally. This way I don't miss out on any dialogues or options.

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:22 pm

First cheats, eh?

The FIRST one I think I used was for Civilization. Super Settlers! They had power and defense of 99, the same as nukes!

I also used the no clipping cheat for Doom to get throough areas that I'd get lost in. And I also cheated on the fist Sim City to get like $30,000 in the beginning. It was some code you typed in.

Wait wait wait, no . . . the first cheat code I ever used was:

up up, down down, left right, left right, B A, B A, select start.

Sofaking

Post by Sofaking » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:33 pm

A gold start to whoever can guess what game mine came from.

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start.
[url=http://www.gamertalk.biz/viewtopic.php?t=773&start=127]Garret[/url]

majestic

Post by majestic » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:48 pm

choyrt wrote:up up, down down, left right, left right, B A, B A, select start.
Nemesis? Gradius? TMHT?

The problem wiht that cheat (and its variations) is it is in TONS of games. It was almost like a 'standard' cheat to try on NES/GameBoy games.

KC

Post by KC » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:14 pm

Sofaking wrote:A gold start to whoever can guess what game mine came from.

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start.
SSFII, to get the 4 boss characters? M. Bison, Vega, Sagat and what was #4?