Are games getting shorter or am I just too quick?

Gaming discussion for all platforms
BossBandor

Are games getting shorter or am I just too quick?

Post by BossBandor » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:38 pm

Recently I discovered that I can finish most games in a period of 3 days to a week.

I managed to complete these in a two month period:
broken Sword 3
call of duty
jedi academy
prince of persia
max payne 2 (twice)
deus ex
deus ex 2

I wish they made more well paced games like KOTOR and definitely not a 100 + hour game eg. Baldur's Gate II

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:49 pm

Maybe you should do more with your days than playing games every waking minute :wink:
I've been playing Deus Ex since Christmas, and I'm just getting near the end (I think... on the Area 51 mission right now). To me, a game like this is plenty long enough.
I find most if not all games a good length, usually finding them too long rather than too short.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Jinx

Post by Jinx » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:42 pm

I guess that games are shorter, my friends say i finish them too quick,
but the games are really short i.e. max payne 2
i'm playing KOTOR right now and it is long enough, just like legacy of kain defiance, shorter than KOTOR but longer than most new games.
Unbalance the World

Visceris

Post by Visceris » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:49 pm

For a game to be worth the money it I use this simple guide. 1 hour of game play per one US dollar I spent.

If it doesn't fit that minimum criteria, then its too short. I found the length of BG2 just right.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:38 am

I suppose I should try and finish that game. I always end up uninstalling BGII: SoA/ToB for some reason. Then I reinstall it a month later and I start over.

<-- Jack ass.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Visceris

Post by Visceris » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:19 am

I have beaten the game about 4 times, and the first one 10 times. BG is a great game series and definitely has a place in my top ten list.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:43 pm

I agree. I suppose, I just don't like controlling more than 1 or 2 characters. Would you wanna play a coop game sometime?
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Petor23

Post by Petor23 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:44 pm

Then play solo

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:50 pm

Yeah, I suppose. Though I still end up uninstalling it...I seriously have no clue why.

BossBandor

Post by BossBandor » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:55 pm

Me and my friend have that same problem too. Our problem is that the game is so large that we start getting tired of being absorbed by the great plot and characters. We then require let off alot of steam by playing some action stuff. And by the time we're done cooling down, we've forgotten what we were doing in BGII.

RPGs require ALOT of dedication to finish, especially large ones, heck I haven't played SW Galaxies, for ages.