What is Herve and Interplay up to?

pc, console, pnp, hell, even your phone
Joseph
Editor
Editor

What is Herve and Interplay up to?

Post by Joseph » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:24 pm

Every now and then, out of something that's a cross between boredom and morbid curiosity, I check the old Interplay address.

I noticed that Herve and Co. (and just who the "Co." is beats the hell out of me) have added a support page. Makes you wonder what's going on. I think his first priority should be paying his ex employees the money he still owes them, then maybe buying his web person a copy of HTML for Dummies, then... well, I shouldn't really go there but hey, at least they have the patches back up on the site.

http://interplay.com/support/games.asp

If you're bored, read through the "about" section or click on the SEC Filings link. Otherwise, just use the Support pages if you're tired of searching for mirrors for patches when you feel like reliving the past and reinstalling the games you've played at least a dozen times.

http://interplay.com

Barren

Post by Barren » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:04 am

You noticed it too? Ya know, maybe Herve and Co (co = Thierry Dessertine, the new webmaster) will actually manage to bring the forums down in time for them to die again. I know I'd still go back...
[url=http://forums.ashfordcity.net]Ashford City[/url] - What do you know, the link is no longer working.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:01 am

Heh, that would be the irony if they put up forums some day. I lurked for so long there and BIS disappeared the very same week I had gathered enough courage to actually register. Didn't bother after that, despite IP forumes being what got me interested in forums in the first place...

It would still be nice if all the old patches could be gathered in one place. Even if it's just a collection of links to different hosts.
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Barren

Post by Barren » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:23 pm

You mean, like what Josan linked to?
[url=http://forums.ashfordcity.net]Ashford City[/url] - What do you know, the link is no longer working.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:11 pm

Yes. I'm just a bit slow right now :)

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:17 pm

I think the first priority of any game dev/publ is to support theír games. Should be a law to guarantee that. It's damned annoying to search for patches for games from developers that were shut down years ago.

Anyway you put it, it's a commendable trait for a screw-up to provide that kind of service.

choyrt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by choyrt » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:58 am

As much as we hate that man, he hasn't abandoned ship. Does he have no other options, or is he determined? Can we ever like him?

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am

choyrt wrote:As much as we hate that man, he hasn't abandoned ship. Does he have no other options, or is he determined? Can we ever like him?
I might never get to like the guy for his personality (apparantly few of his employees do) or (lack of) business skills, but I do admire his tenacity...

As mentioned previously elsewhere, I always considered Brian Fargo the true culprit, who ran Interplay into the quicksand with no viable survival options.

Barren

Post by Barren » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:18 am

However, Herve had the means (i.e. money) and motivation to save it, yet he made decisions that ruined everything. He's just as guilty.

Noober

Post by Noober » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:28 pm

Interplay forums?

Says they're coming soon... is that a good thing?
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:06 pm

Well well... it would be interesting to have the old gang back together. Silverbow, Barren, Nitron, G3N13, Petor23... I admit that sounds kind of like "that other place that is no more" but still... IP was one of the few forums where I was considered a regular and my opinion actually mattered to random users on things...

Barren

Post by Barren » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:43 am

Yep, we'll be working on the reconstruction soon. I don't think the new webmaster has been able to retrieve the database however, so it would most likely be a fresh start. I still hope I'll be able to get the Community forums back, though.

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:26 am

I hate resurrection of old topics, I really do, but I dont think this is worth starting a new one...

There is no more "Coming soon" on the interplay forums link picture. Now it has a link to online chess.

Oh well, I guess a year later it was never meant to be.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:47 am

What's even more fun, is that the chess link doesn't work right. It sends my browser crashing faster than Interplay.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:38 am

Indeed it does. Scary.

Heh. Reading this thread was funny, seeing Barren say "we". I always thought it funny that Barren used to email herve saying "I love you man, you are teh god, lemme play on your shiny new forums" and they never arrived. Barren has to be the only person I know that sucks up to herve.