[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Silent Storm or Jagged Alliance 2?

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Silent Storm or Jagged Alliance 2?
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:38 pm 

Title:
After a day of leisurely walking around town, I stopped by a computer store, and started browsing the bargain bin for lack of anything better to do. Anyway, whilst browsing I found both SS and JA2, and since I've heard good things about both of them, I didn't know which one to get.

So here's the thing: Due to an embarassingly low cashflow at the moment, I can only afford one of the games. Yes, it's that bad. And since I've never tried any of the games, I need *you* people to decide for me! Which one should I get? Think carefully now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:42 pm 
Patron

I would say JA2, but then, I've never tried SS, so I might be a bit biased :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:46 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:31 pm 

Title:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:41 pm 

Title:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:37 pm 

1) its pretty much your preference, i usually make my custom merc last, filling in the gaps. There is one important thing though, take a high wisdom, it decides how fast you gain skill points, which you probably will be doing with your level 1 custom merc. My last char was a leadership guy with high wisdom, heavy weapons trait, ok markmanship and a bit of medical assistance.

2)again preference whether you want some strong ones or five or six lesser ones. I usually create a party with a somewhat stronger marksman (stronger in level, for interrupts) like Buzz, and furthermore i make a party with an explosive guy, a mechanic, a leader and a medic, at least one of which has an ok markmanship too. I'd hire them for two weeks if possible to make a good start, one week if not. Try searching for characters that combine roles, Nails is a good mech/exp guy for instance, Thor is a good leader/medic. This my preference however, there are also people that hire one or two large characters (like Reaper or Shadow) for a day and in that one day press on until they have Drassen so they start earning money.

3) your best bet is to go for Drassen after Omerta. It has a first mine, an airport where you can start buying guns, and somewhere near is a helicopter you can hire. After that i'd advice Cambria or Chitzena. If you chose the last one watch out what you're doing in San Mona. Your first salesman will also be in San Mona. If you want to take the SAM sites near the cities immediately is pretty much up to you. Your long term goal is getting a good cash flow running, from preferably three cities. In the long line, as you can guess, it is needed to kill the woman that slaps her subordinates, the one that dictates the country.

if you are really in the start of the game however (omerta) and dont know what to do to start up your game
POSSIBLE SPOILER
there's a (named) woman somewhere in the middle of the first map, she will lead you to the resistance HQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:34 pm 

Title:
Went with your advice, and hired Thor and Nails for a week each. Buzz wasn't available at the time, so I hired Buns instead. Together with my custom merc "Dogfood" (marksman, leadership), we pretty much mopped up Omerta in a few minutes. Took me a while to figure out the controls, though. Hired Ira, though I'm starting to wonder why I did so. Is there anything she *doesn't* fail miserably at? She can't shoot, her action points are miserable, and she has that Imoen-ish annoyance factor.

Anyway, I headed out towards Drassen straight away, and took the airport, though it was not without a few hassles. Thor got shot up pretty bad, and Nails blew most of his ammo on not anything at all. So it was up to me and Buns to take care of the resistance. Oh, and Ira sucked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:45 pm 
Patron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:21 pm 

Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise
Title:

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:37 am 

Title:
I've played JA2 and tried out Silent Storm as well...

You made the better choice.

While JA2 is nothing compared to the greatest tactical combat game in the fallout universe ever (FO:T!!!) it's still a LOT better than Silent Storm in every way other than being a boring b-war-movie interpretation, where Silent Storm rules supremely as the most boring game ever. Some swedes like it, but they also like Oblivious or whatever... *farts*

But don't listen to Gorth, you need to play this game for yourself. Shame on you Gorth to ruin what little suprises this game has in store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:03 am 

Some swedes also liked Fallout: Tactics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:10 am 
Editor

Some Swedes and Danes have no taste then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:18 am 

Title:
Some Faroe Islanders have recently begun *again* after yet another TPK in Drassen. Fuckin' annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:45 pm 

about Ira, she has good wisdom so you can actually train her qutie well if you take her with you all the time. However, she's also good as a trainer, i use ehr as my preferred trainer, every new city i conquer she trains the militia all the time. after some time i usually hire some of the cheap MERC guys to do this job if i need more, and they're quite good mules.

another possible party member is the Robot, near Alma.

my last party inlcuded: Me, Thor, Buzz, Barry and Steroid
in later stages (after Chitzena or Cambria) i added Raven, Sidney, Ice and Wolf, later on dumped Wolf (see my thread on JA2) for i believe Grizzly or someone alike. In Alma i added Conrad.

ow and from here:
http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/
you can find some good forums, fan sites, details and mods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:35 pm 
Patron