Broken Hourglass

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Broken Hourglass

Post by Phosphor » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:00 pm

Seeing as it's the old games of yore and BIS' catalogue that are are the foundations of this place, I thought this might be of interest to some of you. The Pocket Plane people that do all that neurotically-obsessed modding for the Infinity Engine games, are releasing their own game called Broken Hourglass. They claim to be making in the mold of BG2, party-based, character interaction, that sort of thing.
http://planewalkergames.com/

It just may be good.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:10 pm

That looks like it has possibilities. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:47 pm

It looks interesting enough, at least the concepts and ideas. What worries me is, many projects based on ideas haven't really made a reality check yet when it comes to less glamorous stuff like cashflow, project management, publishing, how to get the next project while the first one is half finished etc.

Troika is an example of such a company with interesting ideas, games made by gamers for gamers and all that.

At the very least, when they realise how expensive a composer, a studio, a couple of artists and animators are, they will know that the actual game mechanics and design is only a fraction of the cost, even if it is important.

Those words of warning being said, Hope they pull it off :)

I'm just starving for more games like the old Bis games :?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:02 am

Yep, I have the same concerns. However, look at the body of work those guys have done in modding the BG games, there's a ton of time, effort and planning put into that. I figure that they've as good a chance, if not better, of completing and releasing a game as any other new start-up developer has.
Still a long shot to be sure, and the game probably won't be quick in coming, but they've got a lot of experience there.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

jcompton

Re: Broken Hourglass

Post by jcompton » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:02 am

Gorth wrote: At the very least, when they realise how expensive a composer, a studio, a couple of artists and animators are, they will know that the actual game mechanics and design is only a fraction of the cost, even if it is important.
While I appreciate the concern, I can reassure you that we have looked at (and are currently paying!) the costs involved in this process. When you're bootstrap-self-funded, your costs simply have to be proportional to your budget, which means you can't pay writers Rowlingesque consideration and the composer isn't earning Zur or Soule's rates and so forth. And I am expressly not concerned with a multi-game development pipeline (beyond idle musing/"the next game should totally have X") because if it turns out that people really aren't eager to step up and buy games like this anymore, I'd like to limit the losses to just one game and not one and a half or so, thanks. :)
Phosphor wrote:The Pocket Plane people that do all that neurotically-obsessed modding for the Infinity Engine games
You can't pay for PR like this.
"[I]t's a testament to the determined RPG fraternity that a number of Baldur's Gate II mods have been successfully produced. The best can be found at [url=http://www.pocketplane.net]pocketplane.net[/url]." - PC Gamer UK

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Post by Gorth » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:28 am

jcompton wrote:While I appreciate the concern, I can reassure you that we have looked at (and are currently paying!) the costs involved in this process.
:haksthumbsup:

In that case, I stand by my closing argument, I hope you guys pull it off. It has been boring years since IWD2...
jcompton wrote:
Phosphor wrote:The Pocket Plane people that do all that neurotically-obsessed modding for the Infinity Engine games
:P
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 am

jcompton wrote:
Sure you can! I prefer cash.

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:33 pm

Just use that Paypal button. I'll make sure that the money arrives at the, ahem... "Correct" destination...
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!