Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Age Of Decadence
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:00 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
Following the theme of my posting on Broken Hourglass, here's another independent RPG being made in a "classic" vein.
It's an isometric turn-based game, and the crux of it is that player action really matters, there are consequences to your (apparently wide array of) choices and actions. The developer, Iron Tower, seems to be emphasising diversity, choice and tactical planning (what sort of tactics, be they armed or diplomatic, for example) as core to how the game plays out.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/index.htm

Might be another sort of thing that appeals to this crowd.

I think we're starting to see a backlash of sorts, to all those "next generation" action RPGs finally. The RPG genre of video games has been terribly abused and the people that grew up on the "classics" and still want games like that are doing something about it.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:52 pm 
Editor

Basically, my comments for this would be the same as they were for Eschalon Book 1 as far as the very dated look of the graphics.

A lot of that comes down to financial resources and indie devs don't have much there. It would be nice to get away from all those damned console games and "action/adventure" crap that gets labelled "CRPG" though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:36 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
I don't think we'll see the end of consolised "action RPGs" at any point. Games like that have their place, but when potentially good RPGs get butchered into that form, it's highly distressing. Like the upcoming Shadowrun "RPG". How long have rpg players been waiting for a Shadowrun game? And when one comes out a long last, it's nothing but an FPS run-and-gun. With magic. :|

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:01 am 
Patron

I get all nostalgic reading those websites and looking at those screenshots.

Suddenly I remember some of those old games that I used to play on my old 8 and 16 bit computers, when creativity was kind and the packaging and the "flashy bits" of the product was secondary.

Well, frankly, screw the generation of gamers with too short attention span and gimme some good old 80-160 hour games again :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:05 pm 

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=19882

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:37 am 
Patron

Vince: I prefer isometric games. You get a better, more tactical view, you see "the big picture", and you get a better sense of the world. Disagree? Try playing chess in a first or third person. Get behind one of the chess pieces, get really close to it, and try playing the game. Good luck, you are going to need it.

:lol:

I guess a FPS version of chess is about as fun a RTS chess :cool: