[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Strategy Games

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:57 pm 

hmm i'm in doubt whether i played I or II from that game, but it was quite a good experience, only thing too bad was the inzooming and playing out of every battle as a commander, not that the part was bad, but it became very repetitive, if you want to take over the whole of ancient europe that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:29 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
Yeah, repetitive and tedious pretty much describes my experiences with MTW. I never tried Rome, but from what I've read it doesn't sound like I missed much.

MTW does have a great battle model, going into battle in that game really is an in-depth experience, but that's all there is to the game. Diplomacy is extremely lacking, and building is quite rote, nothing giving a very realistic or engaging bit of gameplay.
I mean, it is called Total War after all, so I can't really complain when that's indeed what one gets, but I think the game could be so much more. And, perhaps, MTWII is going in that direction.

The medieval period was violent, yes, but kingdoms were not constantly at war only.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:15 pm 

Title:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:28 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:12 am 
Patron

Not really a strategy game, but the next best thing: Turn based tactical (WWII) combat:

Steel Panthers: World at War 8.20 for free by Matriks Games. It's a 400+ Mb download, consider yourself warned (it's a full game, no demo or "cripple" stuff).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:25 am 

i remember that i think, very tedious work, but that was in my early teens, i might actually like it now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:40 pm 

Title:
I think it would be nice if we had another world war. Like US, Canada, and Britain against Russia, Iran, and Venezuela or something. Sure, a lot of people would die, but there would be a new set of games about it in a few years...

Sure, you would get your strategy games, but there would be a whole new generation of shooters about it too!

(And i mean an actual, all out, total war. Not politicking and cool relations.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:37 pm 

Hey, Russia is on our side !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:47 pm 

Title:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:47 am 

I'm fiddling around a bit with the Steel Panthers game, this is quite complicated stuff, i'll keep you posted whether i'll ever finish the tutorial series...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:46 pm 
Patron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:35 pm 

Hmm, some facts to chase people away:

The manual is +- 240 pages, There are ten tutorials, and i'm grinding my teeth on the first one, which is set in a 100x80 hexes map in which you control around 40 units, including transports and off-map long range artillery... I think it beats HoI2 in complexity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:54 pm 
Patron

Hey, you try playing "War in Russia" :D

Comparative complexity, but with a 8 page manual and no tutorial ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:44 pm 

Hmm, did i mention the tutorial leaves you on your own after a single turn, and doesnt give you any in-game hints, only instructions what to do from the manual?

I did finish it quite easily, well to be honest the game crashed on turn 5, but i had already nearly won, controlling 4 out of 5 victory hexes, with the Russians holding only one, while my M10-Wolverine tanks dispatched his crew. (To be honest, my first line of Greyhounds was miserably punished by theirs)
I started an Italy-campaign right after, which leaves me a bit in doubt what to think of this, i started out with a mission where i had to invade Greece over a series of bridges and villages, problem was however that i got about 1600 pts to construct my army, plus around 500 points for reinforcements. Though i had no idea what to pick, using up those points launched me in the mission with around 25 grouped formations, with a total of around, say 120 units. I don't know to be honest, all i know is that i was placing my armies for about half an hour, and that the left side of the battle map was full of units from my side..
The numbers do go down quite quickly when you try to push all those vehicles and armies trough a few chokes however. (and i think i bought way to many green scouting stuff)
It is interesting enough to get a bit more of a hold on it though.

Why dont you give it a try too Gorth? i think the learning curve goes down a lot if we put two experimenters on it...

That war is russia game looks alike, but older and more focused on front manoeuvering (which i like a little less), it being so small makes you can give it a try easily, which i might do in the weekend, but i have more feeling with Steel Panthers (and also fiddling around with Commandos 3)
[edit] ow a link for the war in russia game is here [/edit]