Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:52 pm 

Phosphor wrote:

This looks quite interesting too, too bad its a new game (no complete downloads ;)), (launch was 29/9 of this year), though the reqs are playable for everyone. Might try the demo somewhere soon. Take a look at the screenshots, it seems a nice global war game, and the engine makes me think of Darwinia.
I do have to mention the incredible name of the game
"Defcon: Everybody Dies"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:54 pm 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
I actually felt a little uncomfortable the first time I played Defcon. The idea of slaughtering millions, coupled with the eerie background music and minimal, yet effective, sound effects.

But then I realised it was actually pretty fun. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:46 pm 

I got the Defcon game from a flatmate today, i'll be giving it a try somewhere this weekend.

As for my adventures in Steel Panthers: I printed the manual, which makes a lot of difference, especially in the tutorials, so i'm not Alt-Tabbing all the time.
I'm still alive in the Italy scenario, which is full of mistakes from my side. Some do's and dont's of the battlefield in Steel Panthers:
1) Do not drive vehicles trough buildings, hedges or walls, they'll get immobilized frequently
2) Do not run and shoot, i've recently also read it in the manual, your to-hit-chance will drop rapidly when moving in the same turn, with more penalty for each hex moved
3) Keep your Infantry and Vehicles a bit together, in my trial scenario i ran off with my vehicles (as said composed of 3/4 Recon..), And a vast number of those who made it trough rough terrain were taken out by hiding infantry in villages and forests, only way to take those out with some speed is infantry of your own, but they were about five turns behind.
4) As follows from 3), take lots of transport with you, at least enough to carry all of your infantry, to make sure those two groups are somewhat in contact with each other.
5) Do not take attack boats with you in land ;) My large Italian Battleship could only move around 12 hexes upriver before it was buttoned.
6) Take engineer like units with you, there are way too many vehicles getting immobilized to ignore that loss.
7) Do not forget any enemy victory hexes (maybe even units), i blitzkrieged over a bridge, to flank a village south of it. Problem was i noted later that there were victory points north of the bridge too, which means i'll have to take that bridge again, all the while being shot at.
8) Use some means of artillery, which i didnt, to wear down enemy entrenched and hiding infantry, it is quite impossible to go into melee with them unless you have far superior numbers
9) Follows from 8), as your opponent will use lots of barrages, do not overstack your units north of a bridge in a village which has just been taken by you... My hosts of infantry there are being shot at every turn, and are thinning out while being too terrified to leave their spots.
I'm not sure how to solve this (9) apart from finding the enemy artillery pieces though, but it might be too late. What i'll be trying is spreading some cannon fodder in front of them hoping the artillery decides to pick a closer target.
I'm also having lots of troubles with (2) and (8) combined, since i didnt bring artillery i can't wear down enemy entrenched or covered units, while moving up to them results in very low hti chances and loads of danger from opportunity fire, not to mention their turn if they live, in which they, not having moved and being in cover have great chance of taking mine out.
I'll be looking into this second problem shortly, since my vehicle army has thinned out to around 20%, if not less, apart from my southern attack. Luckily since they are so few and most of them are being held pinned the Infantry is nearly with them, so i'll get a chance soon if they can get closer. This is probably only true for my center attack, because the northern one is being held at the mentioned bridge.
I probably wont win the scenario, but i've learned quite a bit from it.

A small kind of visual representation of the italian-greek scenario:
-->I____V______
____/----X---------
-----/_\________
-->I___/__V____
_____/_\______
____/___\_V___
-->I_\____\____
_____\____\_V_

'I' = Italian army direction
'-' or '/' or '\' = rivers
'_' = ground, mostly forest, with some roads trough it
'V' = a Greek village, usually with VPs around it
'X' = the bridge i mentioned.
I've been able to take the bridge and the northern two villages, and im assaulting the third village with my southern attack, hoping i can get north and middle there. the Northmost village is the one i foudn out about after taking the bridge.. If my infantry are allowed to move i'll take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:11 am 
Patron

D. Sauzi wrote:
5) Do not take attack boats with you in land ;) My large Italian Battleship could only move around 12 hexes upriver before it was buttoned.

:lol:

Ok, now I have to try this game. It's just awfully bad timing as I just started playing NWN2...

Still, I'll just go ahead and download it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:41 pm 

I've been trying Defcon yesterday, very nice game, good feel.
Maybe a bit evil in the sense that most citizens killed wins, and a sending a nuke to your favorite city is only one click away. Make that ten nukes for ten clicks :)

The game is quite easy, and doesnt give that many options, there are about 8 to 10 different units, 6 powers (N-A, S-A, Europe, Africa, S-Asia and Russia) and earth to play on in real time. A typical game lasts about 30 minutes.
It seems very nice, problem with the easiness in level of complexity is that there's no fun in playing AI's. We put it up for our next LAN immediately, but without internet play there's not much fun to this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:39 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
Well, 30 minutes is about all it'd take for 6 nuclear powers to destroy the world.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:08 pm 

Like your title says: Equal Parts Terrifying And Totally Sweet :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:22 pm 

I bought the game yesterday, internet play is very nice, as long as you kick most of the 'newplayer' and 'demoplayer's, and put the speed minimum at 5x, to chase some of the trolls away.
(unnamed and demo players have tendency to quit early)
If anyone fancies a game against me, I'm called Oceania there. Demo players can play the game in default mode with up to three players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:21 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Defcon looks like...something homemade and really Global Domination was like that game..and its 6 years old...I presume!

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II..wasnt as good as I thought..either!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:47 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
I bought LOTR:BFME super cheap, and wasn't terribly impressed. Had some good stuff in it, but when it came down to the guts of the game, it was a very simplistic RTS. My usual gripe with RTS games is the lack of tactics, it's build up base, build up horde, mob enemy, repeat. Tedious in the extreme, and RTS games do not have to be like that. A Middle Earth RTS built in the manner of Knights Of Honour would be fantastic. It's real-time, but is well-paced, has tactics, both militarily and diplomatically.
So, I never played BFME2. I think I tried the demo and was as unimpressed as I was with the first one.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:49 am 

thats a good point for Defcon, btw, the ability to chnage the time speed, if noone has anything to do, you go to 5x, 10x or 20x the speed of the game, that way it focuses on placing and warring, not on travelling. Plus there's no producing or science, which makes for a lot of waiting too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:27 pm 

Defcon looks most boring...I dont see the fun in seeing tiny missle fly all over..

And BFME 2 was terriably simple yes...I really feel bad over buying that crap! The first game was much better since it was more strategy..atleast in Multiplayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:01 pm 

BFME 1 didn't have that much strategy involved either. Just spam a lot of Riders of Rohan, and then you just trample over the opposition. Sometimes they use pikes against you, but that just means you'll have to spam the Riders a bit more often. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:08 pm 

CatBoris wrote:
BFME 1 didn't have that much strategy involved either. Just spam a lot of Riders of Rohan, and then you just trample over the opposition. Sometimes they use pikes against you, but that just means you'll have to spam the Riders a bit more often. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Still your enemy wasn't around the the freaking darn mountain corner, Like your farmers wakes up and waves to the fellow enemy farmer on the other side and then the soldiers comes runing, night comes they all say farewell and repeat..

Well CnC: Generals....no strategy almost just send in a million thanks.

CnC 3 is on the way

Heroes Of Might and Magic III: Complete Is...nice but sickly hard campaigns with enemies that It almost feels like t hey cheat sometimes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:06 am 

I think they DO cheat quite a lot in HOMM III. I don't think there are any TB strategy games out there (apart from Galactic Civilizations I and II) that don't feature AIs that cheat a buttload.