Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: World of Warcraft
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:02 am 

Dare I do this? Well, I didn't want to pollute the 'what game are you playing' thread with it. Besides, it provides a warning of me talking about World of Warcraft. At worst, I will see it disappear from this part of the forum...

I have been playing the game for a week now and it has already caught me :x
I started with a night elf huntress named Saolindala. However, I started wondering about some things, so I also made a troll hunter, a forsaken mage and a human mage. The last one I made for me and my wife to play both. My wife has a human warrior as well. I highly doubt whether she'll be playing it much. She is not into fantasy and I think Sims (2?) is more suited for her. She only likes the interaction with people she doesn't know.
I am still trying out some things. I like the graphics of the casting of the mage, but also the ability for hunters to tame wild animals. Maybe I should be playing a warlock as it combines casting with having a pet, but I am not too fond of the evil aspect of warlockry. What to do, what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:35 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
Which server are you playing on? I have a Dwarf Hunter on Blackwater Raiders that I started last week.
The only classes that really appeal to me are the Hunter and Rogue; I haven't tried a Rogue yet as the excessive micromanagement of talents frightens me, looks like there's a lot of room for screwing up so I'm waiting until I understand the game mechanics a lot better.

If you're looking for sheer damage output, the Warlock is probably what you want, from what I've come to understand. They sure seem to be popular as well.

The Hunter's taming of wild animals in itself isn't a great ability, but having a pet is very nice, mainly because it keeps the Hunter at range where he does his best work. Also allows you to take on tougher enemies which is good.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:09 pm 
Editor

I don't know. I have a copy of the game. It was a gift from Kha'tie actually (although both of you missed her time here). Never played it. Never really wanted too. I've seen it suck out the souls of too many people. The fact that Phosphor is able to play it and still continue his life however tells me you may be safe if you have a degree of self-discipline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:37 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
It's just plain fun, and is ultimately what you make it. There's a lot of world lore and history, and the NPCs are not bad. Not a great variety of personas or anything, but they are just quest-givers.

It plays like a single-player action RPG, but there are other people playing at the same time and you can interact with them if you so wish.

What makes it addictive is the combination of character improvement (the level and gear-gaining cycle), quest-completion (there are always quests, never has my quest log been empty) and world discovery (the gameworld is *massive*). Those three together create an incredibly addictive game. It's not deep (this is no Fallout or PS:T), but a lot of fun.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:27 am 

Josan wrote:
I don't know. I have a copy of the game. It was a gift from Kha'tie actually (although both of you missed her time here). Never played it. Never really wanted too. I've seen it suck out the souls of too many people. The fact that Phosphor is able to play it and still continue his life however tells me you may be safe if you have a degree of self-discipline.

Indeed, it is not without danger, no joke about that. Point is, in my 'young' life as one of the lesser young on these forums I have experienced a few addictions and broke their back (well...except for the eating one, but even that one is tamed somewhat). It makes me alert to its signs. And yes, this game could make me an addict, maybe already has, but unless something happens to take my wife and child away from me, I seriously doubt the addiction will win over me, destroy my life. I am not a naive adolescent without experience anymore. :wink:
The game is very enjoyable to me. It hasn't blown me away yet, like BG2 en PS:T did. Then again, I am just about to leave the starting zone at level 6. 54 more levels to go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:45 am 

Ruathavril wrote:
The game is very enjoyable to me. It hasn't blown me away yet, like BG2 en PS:T did. Then again, I am just about to leave the starting zone at level 6. 54 more levels to go...

Well, it's not that sort of game really, not as in-depth as either BG2 nor PS:T. Though to me, a game just has to be fun, not adhere to a certain checklist of content or themes to enjoy. I actually found myself enjoying gaming more when I decided to stop being so anal about what sort of games I was willing to play. I enjoy a good story-driven RPG as much as a fun action game. WoW is the latter, set in a really nice gameworld.

As for 54 more levels to go, the first ~15 come fairly quickly. And now if you choose to pick up the Burning Crusade expansion, you can go to 70th level. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:03 pm 

Hah, the expansion will have to wait. I even wonder about me regularly getting cards to prolong my gaming. Not out of interest but out of lack of money after buying a whole house... :D

Btw, you will have to wait for the answer to the question which world I am playing in. It was the first normal server in Europe IIRC. I'll see if I remember to look for the name tomorrowmorning... :P

My 2€ trial period ends saturday. Then I will enter the code that's on the manual of the full game I bought. That will last me until decembre. Then, if I can actually buy the house, I move. I'll buy prepaid cards (ppc), I hope, and when my computer is fully setup with internet, I can continue playing on the ppc's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:09 pm 

Are the cards cheaper than the subscription? Speaking of which, I can't believe I'm playing a game in which I have to pay a monthly fee to keep playing. But, as my much better half put it, it's pretty cheap for a lot of entertainment. And the game was only $25, so I figure even with the subscription I'm getting a good few months out of it for the same price as a new game.

I know what you mean about money being tight after buying a house.. We bought ours in May, and we're still very much in damage control mode, trying to get finances back into some sembelance of order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:20 am 

I actually don't know. I have no choice as I won't take a credit card and thus am sentenced to buying cards. I like it better anyway. It leaves me in control of my money. If money is tight, I can postpone my playing pleasure in favor of a different game.

I believe the price for prepaid is about 27 euro for three months. That makes 9 euro's per month at an estimated minimum playtime of 10 hours per month. Rounded down, 1 euro per hour. That's relatively pricy compared to offline gaming, but compared to other hobbies... *shrug*

I believe I am addicted though. My main playtime is half an hour per day on workdays right before I go to work. Except, and this is how I know I am addicted, on wednesdays because the servers are down for maintenance. It annoys me. I know maintenance is necessary, but does it have to be in the little time I have available??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:56 am 

Hehe.. Mornings have the lowest player populations on the servers, hence being the chosen time for maintenance.

In regards to the monthly fee, I don't like it but it's still pretty cheap for entertainment. I wouldn't feel that way had I bought the game for full price (I'll pick up the expansion when I need to, by which point it'll be pretty cheap anyways), but for $25 Canadian plus the subscription, it's a good deal.

I started a Tauren Druid yesterday, he's fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:58 am 

Heh, I have been naughty this morning. My night elf huntress met a satyr. Ofcourse, I should have known better, and I actually was wondering whether I should be taking his quest, but he asked me to collect some stuff from owls, panthers and spiders. He was happy, but the council of Dolanaar, the next night elf village wasn't. Oops... :oops:
Now I am on a quest for retribution!

But please tell, what''s so funny about your new character?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:53 pm 

Not so much funny as just fun to play. Tauren are very cool looking, and so far Druid seems a very solid class, having both good offense and defense and being able to heal himself. At 10th level he'll get the ability to shapeshift into a bear and at 15th into a cat (which will allow some roguish activities).

The Tauren backstory and lands are very interesting, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:37 pm 

Hey there :)

Retribution has been delivered. The satyr changed into something small. I have enjoyed myself getting an owl as a pet, but then left the night elf to try out some other races. Somehow all the races and professions don't catch me like they do in D&D based games. I do like WOW, but I can't get into my pc's. Don't know why.
I have Saolindala at lvl 12 now and Orringal, an undead mage, at lvl 10. They catch me the most. For now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:21 pm 

Well, there's not really much in terms of personality development in the game, it not being an RPG really.
I've tried other race/class combos, and it's still my Dwarf Hunter that I like the best. The Hunter is the class which most suits my play style, and there's something that's great fun about a Dwarf with a pet and a big gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:58 pm 

I have been fishing. Booooring, why do I do this kind of thing. Sometimes I don't understand a thing of myself. Luckily I enjoy making a real life rabbit cage as much as online things or else I would have felt obliged to find a shrink...