World of Warcraft

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:24 pm

Yeah, the fishing is tedious. My fishing skill is pretty low since I never use it. There's a quest in which you can either Fish for what you need, or kill critters for it; fishing is easier but you need to be a pretty good fisher elsewise you can't even try.
I still think it's a waste of time, I honestly wouldn't bother with it, particularly if you've only got a small window of playing time available. You can hunt for food, which at least can get you some xp and/or boost your combat skills.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:05 pm

I have reconsidered the wisdom of paying 9 euros per month for playing this game, when I still have to finish BG2TOB and all available NWN modules. I haven't cracked Warcraft III Frozen Throne either.
Ruald,Cleric(STR&Plantdomain)Stats16,9,12,12,18,13MaxHp14CurHp5 MemSp lvl0 DtMag(0/2)RdMag(1/1)Light(1/1) lvl1 Bless(0/1)Doom(0/1)Sanct(0/1) Money 24g/4s/1c

Jan
Title: The 6th Non-Sense

Post by Jan » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:07 pm

I've been playing WoW quite a lot. Too much, really.

WoW can be quite fun in pvp. I only know pvp.

The action is fun, but the rest is a pain and the worst part is that it's a completely pointless pain. Especially in the beginning and apparently I haven't passed that point yet, not even with my lvl 54 hunter.

More running, ugh... moving from place to place... PAIN!!

I am actually a bit amazed that I don't have two keys named "left foot" and "right foot" that I have to tap repetitively for 15 minutes in order to move...

I used to love the hunter class and exploring pets, but after the update, and even before that, I was starting to get really bored about it, but the update really put a cork in it.

I got seven chars on Shadow moon. I am in a Danish guild with friends from real life. Some of which I also used to play clanwars with in Day of Defeat:Source. The hot topic is "russians" and how everybody hate them. It's a really small world despite the hugeness of the game. And I am bored.

And with this enthusiastic contribution, let's discuss ... oh it's dead already... figures.

Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:28 pm

I was given a copy of WoW as a gift. I regifted and gave it away. I just didn't see the point. Not that this applies to everyone who has played it but from people that I knew... it just consumed them. WoW, lvl 60, raids, blah blah blah became more important than life/work etc. IMO, when you're calling in sick to work just to stay home and play a game... slight problem with priorities.

Phosphor
Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?

Post by Phosphor » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:18 pm

I don't bother at all with PvP and raids and all that crap, far too tedious to me. I tend to play the game more as a single-player RPG than anything else. The MMO part is nice for chatting with friends while playing (it's kinda like IRC with a brilliant game component) and I love the exploration element of the game, so it all works out.
It is insanely addictive as it's great fun. WoW really captures that "one more turn" feeling of a turn-based strategy game, and that can keep you at it for much longer than you might have intended.

And, who hasn't called in sick to play a game, any game? Nobody skipped work to play Baldur's Gate II?

And Jan, I have no idea what you mean by tapping keys repetetively to move... Holding W (or whatever you've mapped to be your movement keys) will move you, as will holding down both mouse buttons. No repetitve tapping at all. And at 54 you likely have a mount which is fast travel, and travel between flight points are great times to go tend to other things.

It's kinda funny, the trends I observe in WoW "quitters", they're like ex-smokers. Condemning everything about the game they've played for so long, I think the hatred is a mechanism to kick the habit :p
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Jan

Post by Jan » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:10 pm

Yes, that's pretty funny. Let's bash 'all that crap' out of it.

*coughs* WoW sucks so bad, because it's slow and pointless and tedious and made by asshats and a total ripoff of Anarchy Online and it sucks and I hate it and it sucks. Hm.. Yeah, oooh, it's working, let's try that some more: sucks suckssuckssuckssuckssuckssucks

Right... hehe.

If you are not playing on a PvP realm you are only playing half the game and it's the fun part you are missing. It seems like you actually like tedious, since it's giving you time off, but you can play PvP realms just as you would on a nnnnn... on a nnn... no-no-no-no... nnon-p-p-pvp realm as a ss-s-ssssingle... s-s-single?!... on a uh... mmmmmassive m-m-m-multiplayer??? Wtf??!!?!?

(jaw drops and face cracks into a million pieces)

But you never get that dessert on a non-pvp realm. I am not talking about battlegrounds, which could be some really chaotic fun, but spontaneous fights in the wilderness and stalking live prey. It's GREAT fun, but.. there are also asshats too with no sense of honor that loves to kill people that doesn't stand a chance... I take great pleasure in hunting these suckers down and corpse camp them until they quit for good or call in massive support. Or I'd like too corpse camp them, but I really don't have that kind of patience. I only kill players of higher level unless attacked first.

Phosphor, tapping the keys with "left foot" and "right foot" was a figure of speaking, but the tapping is true all together and you can't deny that. When you are not on the back of a bat, you still have to tap your way past obstacles and monsters ALL the way and each time you tag a wind rider for the first time. Being low lvl that experience is even worse. Being safe on the back of a bat... about 5 times faster than walking, but still a long poor solution.

Maybe you have learnt to deal with it, but that's the really scary part, because that is the attitude that keeps wow from dealing with the problems.

I can see that you have traded your soul and attitude for a trivia-addon to wow, that now allows you to blend in bits of trivial living when faced with poor game designs. You can leave the game for the short 'natural' pauses in wow (when Blizzard pays homage to the bragging rights of WoW with the winged sightseeing tour), to fill-in something else, but you don't have the power to shut it down.

Fear not, I'll help you. Repeat after me, from the top: WoW sucks so bad, because it's slow and pointless and...

:lol:

Well, I have always hated that part about spending several hours a day combined to get to the 'spot of playing' and I never liked the blocky interface and a lot other things that reminded me of a crude rip-off of the interface of Anarchy Online. Simply because I've seen better. I've spend a considerable amount of time exploring the game and as long as you don't really need to do anything; it works quite well at pointless time consumption and relaxation. There have been a few improvements, but not nearly enough to stop the massive flow of disruptions caused by cheaters, farmers, guides and walkthroughs. People look elsewhere than the game itself for solutions to problems that Blizzard never fix. That's bad. A growing fanbase that focus on ways to hack the content from the game and creates guides on how to circumvent all the time-consuming parts is just as bad. It's understandable, but bad.

I've seen people mention quests with numbers in brackets or just the numbers taken from some index. Some talk about coordinates where they expect some quest item to be... and it happens more and more. It's becoming more of a science to read about and less of an adventure to play. That's a sad progress and the blame is on Blizzard. It's sad because all this activity has separated itself from the game, because there is no room or support for it in the game.

The right change is the BC addon, which has added a few good things. The Area of the Blood elves really seems like a pretty good overall design. It's fast and action oriented and pretty focused and there's a fast portal to the Undercity once you get to that point. One step closer to the mechanics of Anarchy Online. A really nice change to the game that feels like refreshing minty breath to the stale rotten air of a beast den.... of the horde.

This got really, really long. I need a cigarette or something...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Since I've never had the misfortune of being addicted to alcohol, crack or WoW I can't comment on any of the exchange between you and Jan.

I will comment on this though:
Phosphor wrote:
And, who hasn't called in sick to play a game, any game? Nobody skipped work to play Baldur's Gate II?
I never did.

Maybe it's my bushi background and beliefs in things like honesty, honour and integrity. Maybe it's because more than half of my working life has been spent in management positions. Maybe it's because of a sense of discipline and pride in myself but... the last thing I'd ever do is call in sick just to play a game.

IMO,if someone wants to play a game that badly, either get a job in the gaming industry or quit your job and collect welfare but if I ever caught an employee pulling crap like that, well, pretty soon they'd have all the time they wanted to play games while looking for another job.

Sick days days are for being sick. That includes "mental health", those days when you just don't have the mental/emotional energy to go in to work for whatever reason. If you happen to do some gaming as a side result because it help your relax/unwind, fine. But if the sole reason for calling in was just to play a video game... that's just pathetic

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:07 pm

:roll:

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Yeah, that's about the response I expected from you.

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:42 pm

:D

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:57 pm

Somehow I saw that coming too...

You're getting predictable in your old age... ah, shit, I'm a year older. What does that say about me???

Phosphor

Post by Phosphor » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:19 am

:look:

Ruathavril

Post by Ruathavril » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:49 am

I can gladly say I never called in sick either. I have been...let me call it entranced with though in fact I should say addicted to... gaming so much that I stayed up very late that it must have disrupted my performance at work. After meeting my wife I got less and less time to play so I had a forceful quitting program. It's not a problem anymore. :D

Which means I never got into the state of addiction to WoW. I am sure it would have happened though. I liked the scenery and in fact, I liked the flights on the bats. :)
Ruald,Cleric(STR&Plantdomain)Stats16,9,12,12,18,13MaxHp14CurHp5 MemSp lvl0 DtMag(0/2)RdMag(1/1)Light(1/1) lvl1 Bless(0/1)Doom(0/1)Sanct(0/1) Money 24g/4s/1c

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:04 pm

I must say the only addiction I've ever had (well, have) is the internet. The past few weeks have been pure hell, and the only thing that has kept me relatively "hinged", is my friends and family. Fish, if I was living all alone here in Denmark, I would have gone off my rocker a long time a go. Hell, my need for internet has forced me to go to a... *shudder* netcafé and pay for it. I feel dirty!
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!

Jan

Post by Jan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:17 pm

You said it, let's keep it there.

Anyway, after my little rant I had a re-encounter with Day of Defeat:Source.

...ZOOOOOOOOM...

What a rush.

After what seemed like an eternity of action compared to the timestop of WoW I was almost positive that it was way past midnight... but it was only eigth o'clock in the evening and I had been playing for two hours.

Not to mention that the slow paced WoW is really unhealthy on an entirely different level of retinal fitness, that FPS is really the cure for.