Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: *Snif snif* What's that smell?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:40 am 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
I am now convinced. Herve Caen is not only incredibly incompetent, but also delusional. Just check out this link, to see what I mean.

Come on, Wonder-rat! Let Interplay and Fallout die in peace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:50 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
Umm.. Mixed feelings about this one. While I enjoy playing World Of Warcraft a great, great deal, I just can't see Fallout being satisfying in that milieu.

This proposal seems nothing but a desperate bid to use what one asset Interplay still has to dig themselves out of a huge grave.

It's not that I don't think a Fallout MMO would be by default a distaster, but it wouldn't be Fallout. A post-apocalyptic MMO could be fun, though I don't think Herve has the capacity to successfully run that project, and I don't think Fallout is a big enough name to stand up as successful competition to WoW and the up-coming Lord Of The Rings MMO.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:39 pm 

I'm not so skeptical about the game itself per se, but more about where on earth they intend to get those 75 million USD, that they allegedly need. I mean, this is the company that was unable to pay its employees and rent. Granted, "they" (is IPlay more than Herve?) don't need to pay it out of their own pocket, but who would want to put money into such a project? Like you said, Fallout isn't a big enough name, despite critical acclaim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:46 pm 

Hrmmm, they should have done that when they still had the D&D license... I doubt whether Fallouts system and world will reach the same number of players than the tested settings of WoW and Guildwars...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:53 pm 

^ True. Actually, I don't think there are any succesful non-fantasy settings apart from City of Heroes/Villains and Eve Online, and they focus on pretty distinct "geek" settings, ie Superheroes and Sci-fi. How many people are that interested in post-apoc games?

I think the time has gone from Fallout and post-apoc in general, since it doesn't really resonate with most of the younger generation of gamers. The Cold War and the fear of a nuclear exchange is just something out of the history books for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:50 pm 

Location: it's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma. baked with a fluffy crust of wtf?
While MMOs that are successful are hugely so, and make their developers/publishers a ton of money, for every successful MMO there are scores of complete failures. The gaming market can only support so many MMO games, I'd think. I wonder how many people regularly play more than one at any given time? And how many would jump from WoW, DDO, Guildwars, EVE, CoH/CoV to play Fallout Online? Not that many I suspect.
I forget who pointed this out, and where, but FallOut OnLine being abbreviated to FOOL was an astute and accurate observation.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:33 am 
Patron

CatBoris wrote:
I think the time has gone from Fallout and post-apoc in general, since it doesn't really resonate with most of the younger generation of gamers. The Cold War and the fear of a nuclear exchange is just something out of the history books for them.

I'm not so sure about whether or not the time has gone. Due to a shortage of Fallouts, we don't really have much empirical evidence to draw conclusions from :(

Not saying you are wrong, but I would have loved a few more games than just FO & FO2 to assess the prospects from (FoT and FOPOS doesn't really count, do they?). After a decenty made FO3 and FO4 I might have been inclined to agree or disagree if they didn't do well :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:21 pm 

Well, in terms of the whole Cold War scenario, only FO1 really had any evidence of that. FO2 was a bit more sensationalised post-apocalpytic after something of a movie-like inspiration.
I just couldn't get into FO2 the same way I was enthralled in the first one. I loaded up 2 immediately after finishing 1 and the experience was just not up to par by a longshot. It just felt thin and contrived, whereas the first was nice and visceral.
Following FO2, we had Tactics and BoS which by all accounts made the franchise even weaker, so who's to say an MMO wouldn't fit in with that? Give it some good gameplay, nice graphics and you're off. I mean, if you took WoW and overlayed a Fallout setting, it'd be fun. Wouldn't be Fallout but then, Fallout hasn't really been Fallout for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:49 pm 
Patron

Phosphor wrote:
I just couldn't get into FO2 the same way I was enthralled in the first one. I loaded up 2 immediately after finishing 1 and the experience was just not up to par by a longshot. It just felt thin and contrived, whereas the first was nice and visceral.

I think this is the core of the problem. FO2 was in many ways "thin and contrived" compared to FO. It added some nice enhancements to the interface and the awfully buggy car trunk, but otherwise, the purpose, the jokes, the gags etc. was so over the top that it threatened to overshadow the good parts (like the size of the game and the party members, if you bothered with them that is).

I prefer to pretend that the other two games never happened :roll:

Although, I might go out and buy FOT some day, since it looks like JA3 may never happen.

I think a Fallout Online could be done very well, just not by the people currently holding the license (Herve et al.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:57 pm 

I never finished FO2. I couldn't do it. The combination of inane pop-culture references, shoddy plot and overwhelming numbers of bugs just killed my enjoyment of the game. Had it not been for the bugs, I probably could've finished, but when the bugs prevent certain choices from properly functioning or even being able to be finished, I just gave up. I got to New Reno and while I could choose a number of paths, none of them made any sense at all to what my character ostensibly was. In fact, nothing that happened in the game made any sense for how your character starts out.
To that end, an MMO couldn't really be any worse.