[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Fallout: New Vegas

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Fallout: New Vegas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:52 pm 
Contributor

Title:
Next in the Fallout franchise. What do you guys think about it?

(The Vault, Fallout Wiki Link)

Post subject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 am 
Editor

I'm actually excited about this. And for me, that's saying a lot. Other than some PS3 action at my friend`s from time to time, I don`t game.

I may have to get a PS3 for this. Like I said in the other thread, while I`m not a gamer, and haven`t played anything by Obsidian this will be light years beyond that crap Bethesda released under the name Fallout 3.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:29 am 
Contributor

Title:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:20 pm 
Editor

No desire to play it. Watched a friend of mine play quite a bit of it when I was visiting and it what I saw did nothing for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:28 am 
Contributor

Title:
It's going to be running on the same engine and be more "First Person Shootery"*. Obsidian's New Vegas shouldn't anything more for you, then so I can hardly see how it'll be 'light years' beyond Bethesda's Fallout 3.

*As per Official XBOX Magazine's preview article.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 pm 
Editor

It's easy to see how. Obsidian is Black Isle MK2. Some of the guys there worked on FO(2). Perception is reality in some cases and this comes down to bias.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:23 pm 
Editor

Hmm. I'm assuming some of you will be playing this. I'm curious as to your thoughts.

I've got a buddy with two tvs, two PS3s and two copies of the game. He wants me to play it but... 2-3 hours a week (about all the time I have to visit)... what's the point? Where's the fun?

I wouldn't mind checking it out, and I've no doubts this will be a better game than Bethesda's but I'll wait until I have my own system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:43 pm 
Patron

I haven't tried it. PC version requires steam installed. Not going to touch it with a 10 foot pole :look:

Results are as expected. The engine was old and creaking when Fallout 3 was new 2 years ago. Obsidian spent majority of their effort in content creation rather than futile attempts at putting glass shards back into an unbroken window.

A bunch of people "suddenly" discovered that maybe the Fallout engine (and by extension Fallout 3) might not have been quite as great and flawless technically as they remembered. Some are complaining that the graphics are no better than the Crytek engine. Some are complaining that they get lost because the world is too big and confusing (where do we go from here?), Some are outraged by technical issues on the PC (which seems related to Steam, nVidia drivers and a missing DirectX file on post Windows XP platforms) etc.

The vast majority seems to have a blast, praising story, characters, the mood and atmosphere of the game and is probably losing both sleep and work hours while trying to stay alive in the desert and the big city.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:06 pm 

Title:
When did IP/Black Isle/Obsidian ever produce something that didn't look really dated.. it's like a trademark.. in their name; Obsidated. From what I've seen of complaints I guess they need a slight namechange soon to Ohbugsysidated.. Some day they might actually end up with an original name and how can that possible be a bad thing.. I foresee a great future for Abugsidaisy Ntoetainment and one that will put them ahead of the Bethtards (alphabetically).

System requirements:
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 10GB free space
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6 series, ATI 1300XT series

When Obsidated joined the Bethtards their karma took quite a hit and crashed the game.

Well.. seriously I've switched gaming for moving and that's quite a bit more expensive. €49.99 seems a bit steep this month and probably next month as that crown I got this month cost me the acquisition of a new graphics card for the next 5 months. The less I feel I miss the easier it will be to endure. If you have to post something, post crap. :D

But it's evident that the version to play is not the consoulless version, but the PC version as that got patched the day after release and generally speaking pc-systems have much more room for improved graphics and resolutions, because you can always get a better system.. unlike the fixed hardware of a conosoul.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:44 pm 

Title:
Good game. I finished it. Three times. Got all the achievements too.

Pros:
Better story than fallout 3
Felt more like an actual fallout game (for example some fallout feeling dialogue from Caesar.)
Good integration of the skills into dialogue. All skills become useful (mostly) too
Deadlier wasteland (ie theres places I dont want to go at level 30 without a missile launcher) and sensible placement of monsters
Customizable weapons (yay suppressor mod for a sniper rifle)
Power Armor!

Cons
Bugs. Only saw like.... three huge ones that prevented me from doing what I wanted to do, and thats not including getting stuck in the geometry and having to use the console to get out. Most annoying one being that the radio didnt work for me. I would get the news updates but no music.
Companions would either get in my way, or steal my kills (preventing me from completing the challenges as easily). For example... one challenge requires you to kill 200 enemies, then 700 enemies, then 1000 more enemies. With a sniper follower headshotting everyone, it became difficult. You get a perk for 1% more damage each rank you get of that.
Snowglobes seemed a little out of place, but not ouright bad
Inability to customize unique weapons (a minor annoyance I guess)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:45 pm 
Editor

@ Merl... If you finished the game three times in two weeks, you either skipped a lot of side quests or... you have no life outside of gaming.

A couple friends of mine (whose entire lives revolve around gaming) have yet to finish it once. But that could be because they're doing everything, every side quest, exploring every nook and cranny, etc.

@ Jan... While pcs can be upgraded, after having spent a lot of time gaming on a PS3 with a big flat panel LCD tv I don't think I could ever go back to gaming on a pc. Things are just better on a 50" screen as opposed to a 21" monitor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 pm 

Title:
Well, dude, I've just got a small 26" 1920x1200 in front of me.. but with EyeFinity I could set up six monitors if I wanted to.. Not to mention that I can just as easily connect a TV to the tv-out..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:08 am 
Editor

Well, I picked this up for the PS3 yesterday and started playing it tonight. Regardless of what pros or cons and Jan's gripes about this and that, I'm just going to enjoy exploring my new game on my new system. I may bitch or praise or both later. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 am 

Title:
F:NV is far better than F:3 ever was. There's a story that isn't carbon copy of F1, the gimmicks aren't carbon copies of F2's - shit, it's cool because it's a *new* Fallout game! Also, it's buggier than the most popularest brahmin turd - just like the old days! Folks, if this isn't the RAEL Fallout 3, I'll cut off my ewang!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:19 pm 
Editor

I can understand your point about this being the "real" FO3. I was saying the same to Blerina the other night, when giving a brief explanation about the history of the games/studios.

And I'm enjoying it. Except for a few minor bugs, like the lockpick one where, when you go to pick a lock, you get a blank terminal screen over top of it. So far, my solution has been just to save, attempt to force, and reload if necessary. Apparently it's a common glitch and, from what I've read online, the solution is simply rebooting your console (exiting the game and reloading doesn't cut it) so... we'll see if that works.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next