Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Fallout: New Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:46 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
I think we never again gonna see such deep attention to detail as old games like Fallout, Planescape Torment and Baldurs gate had. Today we are left with fancy graphic engines and kids lack fantasy, they are lazy bastards who bitch as soon as the graphic is not top notch.

Games before was "uglier" and needed more detailed information, more fantasy involved and even if it didnt look real you felt kind of involved. Least more then todays cutscenes where you just stare or press a combination of buttons to see your char do some ultra combo.

I am now in New Vegas and surrounding and suddenly I lost my motivation to play New Vegas as much as I did earlier this week. Still there but weakened. I find it just plain out boring and the dark humour is not sensed anymore. No Monty Python easter eggs and such. I can honestly say I press past some dialog cause I read faster then they speak. But for example now in the Witcher II I listen to it all.

Still today we lack detail, those small things that makes a game deep even without being. Fallout 1 and 2 was expert at it, down to the left, tossing in info 24/7 about everything. Good damn first person view in a Vault is horrible, lonely, boring and claustrophobic.

But still, details always get butchered when graphics gets better. Whats their reason for this? "We dont need them" as we get better graphics? Sure as hell we do and thats what thought me english. Playing Beneath a Steel Sky, Fallout and similar games which made me drop by onlie forums that also enchanted my english over time. Clearly I do not speak or write perfect but details was the start of developing my english and later the games with those details took me online.

Mini games! God damnit! Hate them, hate stupid boss battles to who always is forced on and pretty much tells you "YEAH? YEAH WELL fudge YOU! Forget your Sneak skill or Science or Suave-prick talking skills!, ITS BOSS BATTLE!" or annoyign mini game, hate that in Alpha Protocol, hate the hacking in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Hate bosses overrall in story based games. I want the story, not a stupid boss who take 100000 bullets to the head. It breaks immersion.

Fallout 2 did that good, your skills gave you the upper hand in other ways then just carrying that Gauss Rifle or Bozar to the face of Frank Horrigan.

EDIT: Gonna go play some New Vegas and help the Boomers and go see that Fortification Hill and murder some darn Legion with my gang!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 am 
Patron

Still playing my first (and only) game of FO:NV. I've had very little time the last two weeks (probably managed to find a combined 30 minutes for playing). Still, I managed to grab all the DLC's when Steam had a sale. Didn't get them at the "optimal" sales price, but 50% off isn't too shabby either. Installed and tested them. Instantaneously suffered under "The Crunch" as stuff gets added to your inventory when you load your save to continue :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:06 am 

Title: The 6th Non-Sense
Been playing a bit too. Trying out sneak, unarmed and female.. for the Legion. Considering how well unarmed was executed in Fallout and how well sneak was done in Fallout:Tactics.. The epic failure of Unarmed combat in FO:NV just put the more emphasis on what a lame shooter this is. Then I tried the frantic version of Unarmed VATS. Max two moves and no disarming attacks.. No kick-boxing.. No targeting of limbs at all in Unarmed.. Making it all the more useless vs. Ranged attackers. Using Unarmed as a secondary is made stupid and silly without any fast-switching mechanism. I cleared out the Sloan Quarry except for mummy and daddy Deathclaw.. But I died each time I had too few AP's to finish the kill in one VATS session.. And timing is crucial because the push-back attack of the Deathclaw.. Hmpf.. Unarmed VATS.. No targets.. It's either all or nothing as in chance to hit it all or out of range. Piece of junk implementation and fast-switching in-and-out to get in physical range, that's so lagging that it's practically impossible. Just a split second closer so I can hit you... Shit, a fraction of a second too long and R.I.P. Knowing when to hits VATS is really a matter of timing.. Sneaking up on target.. Well, sneaking apparently only affects the sound of moving, because it doesn't make you any harder to spot and there are no mechanisms to make it usefull: no peeping around corners.. This is really done bad. Worse than ever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:14 am 
Patron

I seem to remember that both Boone and Veronica taught me some funny close combat moves. Never figured out how to use them though. One of them said something about tapping backwards in the middle of a power attack or some such. Didn't say anything about how to make the move I'm supposed to interrupt to do that "takedown" thing.

You never know when you might want to take down a Deathclaw alive for interrogation...

Which reminds me, I really should bring Boone to help me interrogate that Legion prisoner in that NCR Airport base, I'm sure he would appreciate that. Even if it's just anger management.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 am 

I've got both of the special moves from the NCR and the Legion, the ranger attack and the charge something, but they only work in real-time. They are rather silly made, because it's a move-combo that suffers from delays all around. That swing of the arm. It's so slow that it feels silly. Sometimes it's just too much fiddling around to work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:50 am 
Editor

Boone doesn't teach you anything and Veronica can but it takes a while and, IIRC, the completion of both her personal quest and her personal unmarked quest (remember how she said she wants a dress?).

I never used any of the unarmed moves, the Ranger take-down, the Khan trick, etc. I just don't play unarmed/melee characters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 pm 

Title: Sorceror Supreme
I assume he meant Ranger Andy, who is in Novac along with Boone. He teaches the ranger takedown. Used it a few times, funny to make your enemies go flying. Usually the Power/Displacer/Ballistic fist just kills em though, but if it doesnt you get to beat em down on the ground.

Never used Veronica's move effectively. I mean I tried it out but its tough to work with so I never use it. You have to block an unarmed attack, then attack for quick counterattack. I would rather not be hit at all so I just bash everyone.

Praetorian assault or whatever is fine I guess. Seems mostly the same as regular forward power attack.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:28 am 
Patron

MERLANCE wrote:
I assume he meant Ranger Andy, who is in Novac along with Boone.

That's the one :haksthumbsup:

Those NCR people all look the same to me :roll:

I'll probably see if can't have a go at 'Dead Money' over the weekend. Anything non-spoilerish worth considering before picking up the hook and bait?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:53 pm 
Editor

Dead Money is the most disliked of the DLCs. I personally enjoyed it but I played it the least of the four. It has a different mood/feel than what a lot expected in FO. It has a horror feel to it. And a great backstory.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:59 pm 

I got all the remaining DLC's on Steam discount sale a few days ago. About $10 for the last five..

I am not sure I like that each DLC raise the level cap by 5, because it doesn't get better with more levels. The game is most challenging, when you are not high level and maxed out.. All though it's rather limited just how challenging it can actually be, because it isn't executed very well.. Take Sneak and pickpocketing.. That's seriously messed up; you lose karma for stealing despite being successful.. That's just a bit too much political correctness. I've already mentioned Unarmed combat.. VATS is not completely useless in that regard, not completely, but that's about as positive as I can put it. I really have to put a lot of work into this game to avoid completing it at level 18 or less, but then it's already long off-topic.

I find myself still hanging on to the Vault 34 Security Armor.. Because it's the best light armor, even better than Combat Armor, and it's dirt cheap to repair.. Cost less than 100 caps to repair from zero to 100%. Unfortunately I made the mistake to use at least two of them as repair parts for other suits, otherwise I would have a near complete set for all the followers.. I am a bit curious to see if my followers are going to wear the lobomites 5 DT Google masks.. Not that it makes that much of a difference as followers are apparently immortal unless you kill them yourself once they are set free.

Something weird did actually happen.. It seems a bit lame that you actually have to have Veronica in your party to approach the Hidden Valley peacefully. In my second game I brought Cassidy and I ended up killing them all, because there was a hostile surface party of BoS.. and in the midst of the fight Cassidy was suddenly shooting rays of light.. She had picked up a Gauss that one of the BoS dropped and some ammo too.. Guess I have been travelling too much with Veronica in the first game, because I never saw that behaviour before. I was getting rather curious about Cassidy's caravan shotgun, because I've been putting all kinds of guns in her inventory without seeinng a change, but maybe it was because she didn't have the ammo or it just wasn't more powerful than the one she have by default. It just seems weird that Cassidy can shoot her main gun forever without any ammo, but she need ammo for any other gun.. That's just fuzzy logic.

I am doing a lot of things differently, but there are just some paths that doesn't feel as rewarding to do and I feel that there is too much drama in the quest names, when you get rid of Mr. Hourse and generally I find that alerting me about 'future' failed quests, that isn't even activated yet, is just plain silly.. I do something for the Legion and all of sudden I fail something that isn't even in my log anywhere. Tch!! It feels too much like the game is trying to force me into a particularly path.. I don't really feel any sense of remorse about offing Mr. House until I get those quest-fail-spam floaters and veiled drama as follow ups.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:36 pm 
Editor

You don't need Veronica to go into Hidden Valley peacefully. If you go in during the day. At night, yes, the BoS patrols are out. During the day, just walk up to the bunker. The only thing Veronica does for access is let you into the bunker. Without her, you have to do a little mini-quest for the BoS to let you in. Much easier than going to the Glow. :)

And I disagree about your ammo comments. Companions having infinite ammo with their default (weak) weapon doesn't bother me at all. Having to keep them supplied with ammo if you give them a better weapon works fine for me. Seriously, where do you want to draw the line with realism in a sci-fi/fantasy rpg?

Don't understand your love of the V34 security armour. It's shit. Light armour I used: Gecko Backed Reinforced Leather Armour. Mind you, you have to upgrade regular reinforced leather with fire, golden and green gecko hide, the latter only found on green geckos in the Honest Hearts DLC but the armour is great.

And even with the DLCs and my level cap at 50, I'm still maxing out 2/3 through the game. The two biggest issues I have with NV are that I wish the game (map) was bigger, more to explore, more to do and I wish enemies scaled up to your level. The lack of scaling is what makes the game too damned easy. With the exception of my first two playthroughs, I've played every run on the highest difficulty and it's easy. Creatures like deathclaws and tunnelers can be tough but "Oh, I'm walking around in my underwear and armed only with a lead pipe and I just killed every fiend on the map, all of them armed with energy weapons" gets boring. Yeah, enemies need to scale up with your level.

Hardcore wasn't that hard. The trickiest part was that your ammo had weight but the food/water/rads was a non-factor. I laughed at people saying it was hard. If you can't sleep once in a while, eat and drink and take rad-away when you need it... your character deserves to die. I never once had a warning for those go above the first level.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 am 

Title: Sorceror Supreme
When I did my hardcore playthrough, the one where I took Cannibal, I purposefully starved and dehydrated myself just to make it tougher. Good times, good times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9