[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - LS' opinions on crappy DLC's and Bioware

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LS' opinions on crappy DLC's and Bioware
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:11 pm 

Title:
Wrote this on another forum but puting it here to.

A vivid player of Mass Effect I now sit and see bunch of "crap" getting released. Like appearance packs to some of the chars, looking like they all got bad eyes suddenly and need visors.

Cept for Tali, Tali never ever need visors, just recolouring.

So how well did the tied down toolset for NWN 2 work? Not at all. Did Mass Effect and Dragon Age ship with easy to use toolset? No.

Do NWN still live and get new content? Yes. Is it thanks to Bioware? No.

Bioware tricks us to buy stuff that people with a proper toolset would release so often it be like trying to avoid to get wet when it rains while floating in the sea. There just be something you like. Neverwinter Nights community might be bit old now but it still prosper and the server is proof of this. Neverwinter Nights will probably outlive a lot of games and continue to be played for at least 5 more years. Its a real classical PC game with a engine that looks bad these days perhaps but still works fine enough.

Bioware is a great company but I believe it is more then a few noticing their walk from Baldurs Gate which them and Black isle fiddle with to Dragon Age 2, "oh people are dumb so we remove the old school and put in some Dynasty warriors look alike battles". I'm pretty sure a lot of their DLC's are great, I have a few myself and they are okay. But it is easy to notice that they grown fat and old like the fourth generation of a Turkish dynasty in the middle east, before the entry of the Mughals and Ottomans. Sorry for the flawed history lesson.
EA bought em and now they are in properly put in their shelf of companies, lined up in linear formation to do what you do.

To force players to buy some appearance packs, which is for those not knowing what it is, new clothing or armor for your characters. With the removed inventory its totally worthless to change armor on your NPC companions. Only Shepard itself can change armor for diffrent stats. Aside that they want you to buy these for 2 US dollars. Doesn't sound like much? Well had there ever been a toolset released, ease to use like Aurora. We would off had about a few thousand of appearances for example Miranda, some with armor, some with other colours, some with scars, some with here dressed in even more skimpy cloth. Someone would probably also fiddle with the ME1 chars like Garrus and Tali or give Grunt a Wrex skin. But now we need to pay 2 bucks for appearances that adds nothing to the game.

I love Bioware, I love Mass Effect (not a big fan of Dragon Age although, Baldurs gate and Icewind Dale is where it's at) but I'm not happy in their cheap, crappy DLC's that should be for free. Miranda should off had a god damn armor from the start. I don't want visors on all my chars either.

Someone will tell me to go beat it, grow up or that I'm a greedy person not wanting to pay 2 bucks. Then maybe you should turn your eyes towards the Neverwinter Community, still living thanks to the players, thanks to Dev's and server hosters. Sure ain't thanks to Bioware who releases crappy appearance packs for 2 bucks each and grins as they add in a few hundreds of thousands worth of uncreative DLC. I say, give me some more mission and story based DLC's.
Bioware is lucky they don't have a toolset like Aurora for Mass Effect or other games out there they created, they would have to run for the money when the really good players make appearance that makes people go wow. Bit like many players done in NWN. In-superior Bioware campaigns and patches meeting CEP and other player made things, a uneven fight for Bioware who rather quickly skipped selling their own modules for NWN.

Post subject: Re: LS' opinions on crappy DLC's and Bioware
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 pm 
Editor

Don't know what to say. The only developer I "followed" was Black Isle. And that was only because I became friends with some of the people there and was part of the forum ruling class.

If a game interests me, I'll check it out. I don't buy, or not buy, games based on who made them. Well, to a point maybe I do. I don't like Bioware or Bethesda for a variety of minor reasons so I guess I'm not too likely to buy their games. Bethesda's Fallout 3 is selling for $20 or less now but I'm not getting it. I have New Vegas. In my mind, that's FO3.

As for DLC, it's usually crap from what I've seen, and heard from others, regardless of the maker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:38 am 

Title:
LS, BioWare is not Linux you know.. :mrgreen:

Well.. I don't follow any developer either, but DLC's are the new merchandise in a virtual world. Instead of buying plastic figures and spaceships you get to buy DLC's. Sometimes they are made to keep the main item selling and other times they are free goodies to make preferences and generate goodwill towards the developer.. (so they can rape your wallet later). When was the last time that you experienced plastic figures and spaceships being handed out in the toy shop? :wink:

Sometimes content that was made, but didn't make it into the final product is handed out for free.. But that is probably a sign of an immature and loose organistational structure.. Like in all those small studios where the seat of power is ruled solely by the founding developer, you know the kind that never actually went to business school.. Sort of learn as they go along and they haven't gone that far yet or Herve Caen hasn't bought them out and run them into the ground yet..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 am 

Title:
What I noticed is games with more than one DLC, usually only one or two are any good, the rest is junks.

Fallout three had The Pitt, Operation Anchorage, Mothership Zeta, Point Lookout, and Broken Steel. Pitt was okay, anchorage was short, didnt play Zeta. Point Lookout was really well done and immersive swampy horror. Broken Steel finished the game but wasn't all that great.

ME2 had... well, appearance packs, lair of the shadowbroker, Stolen memories... a couple free or preorder things off the cerberus network. I hear lair of the shadowbroker was awesome but I havent played it yet. Stolen memories was [retty well done. No way Im buying appearance packs.

Dragon Age... The stone prisoner? Pretty good, and useful companion. Warden's keep? Short with some useful items but no real immersion. Return to Ostagar? Fun, a little challenging, and it gives some closure especially if you bring Loghain there. Darkspawn invasion? Its different, but short and kind of dumb, though its pretty hard. Witch Hunt? Short, doesnt give a satisfying conclusion, mediocre overal, same with Leliana's song. Golems of... anga... angra... whatever. That was a cool one, probably the best dragon age DLC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:46 pm 

Title:
Thing is, pay for outfits? I Say that should be a free apetizer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 pm 

Title:
I recently read a comment somewhere from an insider, that sometimes it wasn't worth the trouble to charge for dlc's, because the time and cost of shuffling it through all the channels would cut the profit, so they were instead included in patches or offered for free.. I guess that just isn't true for high profilers and people that make it a business.. At least we don't have to pay for patches yet.. like we do at the dentist.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:32 pm 

Title:
Paying for patches would be pretty horrible. Like fee's to enter the god damn store next day since they didn't have that bread last day.