Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LS's reviews: Mass Effect series (Or morely a thoughts about
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:30 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
To be able to bring justice to a game so interesting and full of lore like Mass Effect is a task that takes some heart in making a review. This is one of few games, very few games that manage to make me play it through more then once. I finished Mass Effect 1 and 2, two times each and I am on a third run off Mass effect 2 on the hardest difficulty. Rage alone has taken me past some sections.

Since of the series is not yet complete I find it bit hard to fully review a trilogy that is not yet finished. The first game was a excellent RPG, the second game more focusing on the console playing nutjobs in America who teabags in Halo and loves their Xbox more then their girlfriends was quiet the pity. If the third game become a Gears of Mass Effect there will be a lot of complain and Bioware will have problems since they already been shot down for their disasterous heresy to the proclaimed "Old school" series of Dragon Age...Dragon Age 2 was not the success and achievement of roleplaying as they perhaps aimed for. Since they dumbed it down, tossed in a slutty pirate and called it a day. Miranda might off dress like a "whore" and people do speak of it in Mass Effect 2 on her loyality mission. But Isabela in Dragon Age 2 is simply, fanservice since she is a lightly dressed slut.

Then to add to the insecurity of this trilogy is the Arrival DLC who been pretty much a large dissapointment with big big plot flaws. Enter a prison, oh no...how do we enter beyond this locked door? Oh look a fusebox. Seemingly it been okay to hack or bypass doors before but this time you had a freaking fusebox next to it and the whole DLC is built up like this, Conviently the Batarians are some lazy bastards who put their buttons to things next to them so people can enter and leave as they please. The jail itself looked like something out of eastern Europe.

Bioware and Black isle once was kings, together they made some glorious games. Then one day Bioware decided to make Xbox games and later on get bought by EA. Here a company like Blizzard is pretty interesting, not getting buyed by EA or Ubisoft but having their own Activision being a bastard from what I heard, but then Blizzards games are all the same and they could probably ship their old games again with a new title and people would buy them. Bioware on the other hand always been releasing good, fun and deep rolepalying games. Their cousin or brother, whatever you wish to call it! Black Isle sadly decided to die and left Troika and Obsidian, the first one did release two splendid games in Vampire The Mosque...and Arcanum. That is a dull April joke by the way. It isn't called the Mosque. Troika like its father wanted to die and Obsidian clearly went to its foster father, Bioware and ruined it's licenses while Bioware put down time on Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Mass Effect, to me is one of the best gaming series ever released. Sci-fi RPG is uncommon and Bioware done a great job. But the series is flawed and I still proclaim they wish to turn it more casual so all dumb 13 year olds will play it and slap Miranda on the arse and have lesbian sex. Nothing odd there, I bet there is older fans doing that aswell but it's still kind of a pity when you in Baldurs Gate could lose your precious Aerie if you slept with her to early while in Mass Effect, I had spoken twice to Ashley and suddenly she dropped by like a drunk night clubbing bitch who wanted some easy sex. Hell, even Miranda was more work to get into a relationship then her.

The DLC's released to Mass Effect 2 been decent, Overlord gave me the biggest OH SHIT feeling. The ending is emotional and the beautiful planet adds some explorations.

But since games today turn into "casual" crap where you either play a 2.50 meter tall bastard with a minigun or a female creature with two melons for breasts and the clothing of a glamour model or hair for clothing like that damn witch in that game everyone praises but no one really complains on....forgot the name but yeesh. You have the stomach to complain on lightly dressed women in some games but then in this son of a game you just applaude it? Hypocrites.

Non the less this "review" makes no sense anymore. I do not even know if I should review Mass Effect 1 and 2 without the third installment released and played through yet. Bioware clearly is in trouble when they anger their old fans. The fans who made them into the behemoth they are, the behemoth that gave out games with heart in them and then they sold their soul to Microsoft and Electronic Arts. A pity! Many studios done that, swedish DICE for example but then they make FPS games.

The multinational gaming market need to be struck down and we need more free developers not schackled by devils in suits with an army of lawyers behind them.

Post subject: Re: LS's reviews: Mass Effect series (Or morely a thoughts about
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:50 am 
Patron

My thoughts on Mass Effect 1 & 2...

Note that I've not completed Mass Effect 1, only played it on a colleagues xbox360 for a short while (around 30 minutes, maybe a bit more).

Combat was boring, but not intolerably so, just doing it's job of spacing out (pun unintended) the story plot points on planets. Worse was the minigames and absolutely horrible anything related to the bad 3D Moon Buggy game. Suspension of disbelief got shot in the head by a spear gun. The vehicle being less than half the size needed to actually house a crew of 3 and physics that would make an 8 bit game proud by comparison. who came up with the idea that gravity is non existent and the vehicle gets pulled towards the nearest surface by an invisible rubber string, regardless of whether that surface is actually *below* the moon buggy or off to the side?!?

Setting and writing was 'Meh' and what lost my interest in the franchise to start off with. Art direction and music was bland and uninteresting.

So, I hear you think out loudly, why did I then go and purchase Mass Effect 2? Well, blame that on youtube lets play videos and a change of story structure away from the ego stroking aimed at insecure, pimple faced cellar dwellers to a more personal adventure of a discover what is going on nature. Yeah, screw the universe, I really can't be bothered saving it again. Leave that to Batman.

Am I looking forward to Mass Effect 3?

Honestly, not really. Despite doing a number of things right, I actually quite liked a lot of the locales and some of the characters (I still want to kill Garrus horribly some day, effin emo that he is), however, as much as ME1's combat "system" was aimed at simpletons, ME2 took it to new depths and shaved off and pretense of tactical approach to combat. There was also something about scanning planets for resources, but my mind seems to go into some kind of protective coma mode just before the memory surfaces. Maybe regressive hypnosis or whatever it is called will bring back that traumatic experience.

So no, if the trend of "streamlining" continues, I expect ME3 to be one big QTE (Quick Time Event) with a few questionares about which party member you want to shag interspersed here and there for good measure to appeal to their current target audience.

Sadly, it looks like they are taking the Dragon Age franchise in the same direction, not even pretending to care about game mechanics as long as it looks "Awesome" for the cognitively challenged :cry:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 pm 

Title: The 6th Non-Sense
Hm... Robin, is it? I think I am going to have to block you from reading my posts, because you pick up too many of my bad habits.. Next thing you'll be wanting to drive the bad mobile.. Don't listen too much to the bad man..

That aside. The greatest thing about MEH1 is actually the moon buggy and the exploration of a map that was extraordinarily non-bioware-ish. And the second greatest thing is unlimited ammo.. Scavenging for ammo that is just so bloody annoying, because it's not even related to kills, but just random drops.. There are just so many things where the game has been limited and the 'workarounds' don't really compensate for the loss of freedom and loss of versatility.. The upgrade paths and so on..

Btw, have you noticed that in the first mission you actually got 480 ammo units for the assault rifle, but only 120 in all the missions afterwards?..

Talk about realism in games, that's just silly, because it's a virtual world meaning that it's unreal, it's just ones and zeros, mostly zeros, which explains a lot really, like zero brain functions required. Why simulate exact physics when the game exists in a different space than realism? You do know that it's all just ones and zeros, right? There is no natural gravity in a computer game or it just isn't affected in the same way.. Controlled by a mouse and keyboard.. It's not like all the pixels on your monitor drops to the bottom of the screen because gravity pulls it down, right? And if you got your computer below your monitor the feed from the cable to the dvi out to the dvi in is able to go up to the monitor even thought gravity pulls everything else down, right? Hm.. how come electricity is so gravity-defying.. It should only be able to go down.. because that would be so real.. :mrgreen: I guess BioWare is very real in that way.. :twisted:

Anyway, most BioWare games.. KotOR and MEH2 and games before that always had some rather limited maps.. Oh sure, it looked so big and spectacular in 3D, but in reality it was just a very confined 2D map defined by fixed pathways. The desert on Tattoine was just for looks.. Invisible walls blocking you from the real adventure.. Maybe you remember Elite 2? That game by David Braben.. Massive unlimitness.. All in less than 640KB.. If BioWare made a game that size in their current production quality it would fill hundreds of DVDs and it would take decades if not centuries for them to complete it.. And it would all be defined by planets you have to mine in the most boring ways.. The Moon Buggy changed that.. I drove around the entire map, sliding up and down impossible walls and sometimes having to use the thrusters to avoid crashing.. It was great in a way to be to be able to move around so freely.. I could ambush the Geth from a completely different angle.. But in MEH2 that freedom is gone and instead you've got a very confined space of disconnected areas with only one way in..

All the enemies got health bars and bars for shields.. I got nothing. I think I got cover, I think I got a clear shot, I pull up the scope and see nothing but walls.. I shoot the enemies in head and .. it doesn't make a difference. In some ways the lack of realism is just plain silly and in other ways it's annoying. And the lack of blood.. anywhere.. except for the critical make-ups..

I've already been winking at the part about ME3 The Movie.. And it's underway.. It's called stream-lining.. The pun is so obvious that it's embarrassing to even mention. I'm blushing already..

On difficulty.. How many pointers do you really need?

What about context.. did you ever see this??

Combat displays, I would have to say that it's a matter of..

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:51 pm 

What they did with ME2 was to aim for the backwatered action players who want a Gears of Mass Effect.

I agree on ME1 Jan! Gorth! You do bring up some good notes aswell but the game seemingly is not fitting for you! ^^

They have promised more "shooting" and more RPG in the next game. Which means, more action and more cheesey cutscenery. ME2 is as linear as a Japanese game if not more. As You say Jan, you cannot do a thing without following their little pre patterned road. the Citadel in ME1 felt much more like a level of running around while ME2 is like, bringing a bad feeling to the exploration who is non exsistant.

Mining is boring, the buggy get annoying after the 40 time but sure is more fun and more exploration then probing the shit out of the planets.

Also, Cerberus is hated yet you drive up in their face with your ship, armed and with a Cerberus armor if you got the Cerberus Network card. Everyone go "COMMANDER SHEPARD! HI! WE HEARD YOU JOINED CERBERUS, Nice ship, nice armor...whats that...Cerberus emblem? So did you join Cerberus?

Yet in ME3 Cerberus is going to hate you and you will auto hate them for a reason? Why? No idea.

And yes, that is a indication that they aim for more then RPG players, all those pointers and "Hey HEY! OVER HERE! HEEY PICK IT UP HEY HEY AMMO HEY" all to make the Gears of War players feel at home with pointers and ammo clips and railroading to hell.

Lot to say but im feeling dizzy!

And dont think I seen that with the armor! :O Lovely last picture too :D

To end this, Bioware is not good RP artists, they are good conartists at making people think they play a good RPG while what they play is a interactive video novel with a lot to do. Like get banged by Miranda in the engine room for some reason. Crazy bitch. All women in Bioware games are sluts by the way, cept for the old wizard in Dragon Age Origins. Atleast thats how they make it seem. Or maybe not Tali? Cause she will DIE if you REMOVE her SUIT you could hearted bastards out there.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:19 pm 

The only one of the girls I need to do is Tali.. but since I've done the two others and they kept their clothes on, what's the point?? At least MEH1 had nudity sort of.. But Jack cries.. And Miranda.. The only time that Miranda was called a cold bitch was aboard the Cerberus Science Station where you wake up.. She's like a Mother somehow ever since. It's really quite a Greek affair to do Miranda.

I think it's only Fallout2 and BG2 that ever made some sense about contextual roleplaying.. Tragic. When you put on the Power Armor and walk around Navarro as one of the bad guys.. and all the comments about "Hello is someone in there?"..Or when you get the chance to play as a Drow.. Instant gratification. In Bethesda's bastard-child the Fallout:Shooter or Fallout aversion.. Those outcast rustbunks would refer to me in my Tesla armor armed with a Plasma rifle as a part of the tribal wildlife.. Epic context failure.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:27 pm 

I only smacked over Miranda in ME2 and my evil renegade who somehow in the end seems to have a bigger heart for humanity then my paragon is loyal to his Ashley. Seemingly its too political incorrect to be pro-Cerberus in this game while in Fallout 2 you could shot the head of everyone just for the fun! But yes Miranda is a cold hearted bitch who seemingly softens up a bit but always has a manipulative trick or a harsh line to deliver in the shape of a bullet to the face, poor you standard guy that has to die in the beginning traitor as usual guy training guy?

But yes, those old games where the blast. They did tiny little touches who made them feel good. Hell I seen more contextual roleplaying in Warband when the drunkards don't dare fight you when your fame reaches the Calradian continent, your rich as filth and has a good army they really back off when you ask them if they know who you are. Still its not good enough. Sigh. Contextuality! Damnity.

"Is that a Cerberus logo on your ship and armor Shepard? Heh....so I heard you joined Ceberus! Cannot be true...right? RIGHT?" I can toss a line like that all the freaking time.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:01 am 
Patron

The only female I felt attracted to in ME2 was Samara, go figure... :roll:

Well not quite true, I went for Yeoman Chambers in my playthroughs after the first. Miranda had this 'plastic' like quality like something on a magazine cover and Tali was too much into the full body latex fetish thing. I might just try wooing Jack in a playthrough some day. I tried to play the game as a female Shepard, but I'll just have to admit that I suck at roleplaying females, no can do.

As for the future, I just can't help but feel that Bioware/EA creates games based on research rather than visionary ideas. The increasing conformity towards current market tendencies is scary. Like EA Sports creating variations on their sports game formula, I fear that their 'Bioware Division' will become the same, releasing the Dragon Age 2011 edition, the Mass Effect 2012 edition etc. all designed from the outset as launch platforms for DLC's and Google ads on the previously invisible 'barriers' in their game worlds.

Heck I even wanted to buy Dead Space 2 from EA until I read about needing online accounts, upcoming DLC's etc. and dropped it like dead, wet rat.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:45 pm 

TAGGED FOR SPOILERS WHOLE DAMN POST: Samara is somehow, more real then the others. She do not sleep with you as easily and yes, Miranda is just a front of mens magazine.

I say, all humans got issues! The aliens are more normal and less freaks.

And yes, Bioware sold its soul to the gaming devil EA and is now getting into the whole soulless crap that you write about. Non caring for visions, only following numbers and releasing the same game with one new "innovation" like the Fifa or whatever sports series.

Whoever invented DLC's deserve a sucker punch or how to put it. God damn shit creation.

It is a roleplaying game, the engine should not be in focus. I dont care, I want interesint enviroments, good plots and roleplaying. Not the coolest moves and dodging bullet in rapid speed. People complained about linear JRPG? Jesus. Mass Effect 2 got 2 options in the end and both lead to the same shit in ME3, Cerberus is pissed off, ALL OF THEM.

After ME1 I was like "HOLY SHIT BEST GAME EVER" I got swirling away in that tornado of awesome random sci-fi battle movie ending thinyg.

ME2 was more of a "So.....there is not 50% more gaming time on the other side of the Omega Relay? This is it? So...well....this was it?"

So one solve a bunch of daddy issues, do some loyality mission which means people just wont go and die and try to dodge a bullet or do their best hacking to survive. Oh boy! I sure would not help Shepard so I WOULD raise my own chance of surviving if s/he had not fixed my family issues before hand.

ME1, you tell Saren to shot himself. in ME2 you talk with your gun.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:36 pm 

Hm.. I wonder who is the fourth Sorry-bunch-man of the Biocalypso End..

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:39 pm 

Who is first, second and third? Just so I have it sorted out :D

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:24 pm 

Hi, I am Isabela. Do I carry only boots or is it just to create an illusion that I am pantless?

If I myself had to make a pick among the partymembers in DA2, peronsally I would pick that elf girl. The rest is bunch of weirdos. She is weird to but still. She is not A: Slut B: Your sister C: A woman thinking with her sword.

That alone is although a pretty nerdy think to ponder on. Ergh. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:03 am 
Patron

Lord sadness wrote:
Hi, I am Isabela. Do I carry only boobs?

Fixed your spelling error. Kind of sad really, I've watched a few youtube videos to satisfy my curiosity and the voice actress actually sounds quite competent.

Lord sadness wrote:
If I myself had to make a pick among the partymembers in DA2, peronsally I would pick that elf girl. The rest is bunch of weirdos. She is weird to but still. She is not A: Slut B: Your sister C: A woman thinking with her sword.

That alone is although a pretty nerdy think to ponder on. Ergh. :mrgreen:

So, she's the underage, non human, insecure chick that you can mess around with, abusing her need for a strong father/guardian type? Shame on you LS :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 pm 

Oh yes, she is all boobs and in game they joke about her getting a disease.

But the game do have potentiality. They could have done so much more with it. It feels like a bad 80's fantasy...or to be bit nicer (not by much! :P ) it feels a bit like a cheesey fantasy series, Legend of the Seeker or something. I mean, it is rather funny to run around like a dumb adventurer. But I would not call it RPG, more like...Action-Adventure-RPG or somethign. And with adventure I morely mean like Lara Croft games. Not old Lucas Arts

And hey! She is a elf and she is nutty. She probably be able to kill me in a instant. Also, last time I had to do with a younger (over 18 mind you and in Sweden the age limit is 15 :P ) she left me crying and wonder how the hell I could lose to the even older, chubby guy. Insecure? Hah! Not alwyas!

I would not abuse the poor elf! I would be a friend, guardian and love if she insisted. I would have her abuse me to make her self esteem grow larger...I guess. To later abunden me for that son of a sod carrying a two handed axe and driving a dwarven steam tank to work.

I had to toss out Isabela, Anders and now Fenris, Consist of my dear friends Verric, Mirrel and Aveline, Spelling is poor. Anders comes by some times cause he also is a friend and has some swell buffs.

Still, the game clearly is not Baldurs gate 4. If Dragon Age Origins was a let down to the proclaimed goal of making the (spiritual) successor to the Baldurs gate series, to the Infinity engine all in all....then Dragon Age 2 is a digrace.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:59 am 
Contributor

Title: Metal Head
Been playing Dungeons & Dragons: Daggersdale. I have it on the 360. I'll be getting it on the PS3 as well.