Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: LS's tributes: Neverwinter Nights
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:45 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
Back in 2002-2003 I believe, my cousin bought this game. I first sat my playing eye's on it back then. Was such a splendid game. So much fun and we tried it out online. Back then many of the servers was new and the disease of new was heavily upon the game.

But as I seen it in trailers of other Bioware games and I seen it magazines, the game was the game where you could import your Baldurs Gate 2 character! Was it the next game!? What was it about? In the end, Black Isle and their daddy daddy Interplay got in a fight with Bioware and this was never the truth. There was no import and since NWN used Dungeons and Dragons 3.0 and Baldurs Gate used the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons it would prove to be a diffcult task to balance out. Neverwinter Nights still is a game that survive and lives. New servers bloomed up as of last year, 2010. 8 years after the release. Eight years. What other game in the RPG genre done that?

The reason behind this has a name. Aurora. The toolset Aurora is so strong, so easy to use yet so hard to master. It makes NWN still going strong while its brother, Neverwinter Nights 2 has problems, lacking internet, lacking toolset that is harder to use and many cancelled NWN servers that once had NWN2 projects on the go, aiming to toss their servers into the next generation. That failed and they stayed with the first installation cause it's simpler in so many ways. Obsidian never had a easy task to make a successor to Bioware's old licenses and making a proper follow up to NWN was not an easy task. Some proclaim the Mask of the betrayer was a good expansion and some would also proclaim that the NWN main campaign and its expansions never was a great hit but its vast amount of free time module makers, server owners and such made it into a game with so much nostalgia to it.

Such a strong game that still lasts today! The graphics are old, the battles are not as "fun" as new games perhaps and the whole game is soon obselete and unplayable on the OS's. It works on Win 7 without problems, only problem is that my computer sound strange while I am in the main menu. Still playable although.

That aside this game brings so much nostalgia into the mix which turns this game into something that I have a hard time abandening. All those memories are hard to just toss away and I do not want to toss away these fun memories from a lovely game. The roleplaying is where my main focus is and up to this day I still proclaim that this is the one game to use for roleplaying online in computer games. Nothing compare to this that I know of and I believe nothing will. Aurora and devoted people are the main ingridients and such things are hard to find in never games. The creativity, the emotions, the feelings, the free mind and the urge to out live your fantasy like so many done before in Dungeons and Dragons are more or less dying. Pen and paper games become simpler and video games become more casual and dumbed down. Might also be a reason why Neverwinter Nights still goes strong.

As much as I love Mass Effect, I still find that Bioware moved away from their old classics they and Black Isle made under an era of gaming. Baldurs Gate series, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, , KotOR might also get a mentioning and of course Fallout. These games was the flagships of RPG from the west. Neverwinter Nights had its strong, solid toolset and a online community that was so strong and is still strong that it will with luck keep up for another 10 years if no proper oppositions is presented and it seems there wont be anyone being able to touch this mixture of multiplayer, roleplaying and creativity

You could try to do an google for NWN vault and you will see the thousands if not tens of thousands of things that creative people have produced. That is everything from sexuality to gorey action hand in hand with horror or comedy or old school RPG or even Star Wars. Neverwinter Nights means to me a lot, many nights and days been wasted on this. Perhaps I could have done something else or perhaps not? But it clearly been part of helping me with english, going through times of boredom and given me something to do. Still do at times.

As a wise man once said in a note he sent in to a newspaper....he said that he rather have the children of today sit by the computer then going outside and do what the hell they now do, rob, get high on cocaine or what else they might do.

Neverwinter Night would without it's great toolset and vast amount of creative people be a medicore roleplaying game long forgotten by it's players more or less, simply living on it's "Bioware" logo. But thanks to one add on called Aurora this game became quiet the nostalgic game with seemingly thousands of hours put into playing this game online, getting to know a lot of new people and arguing with a lot of bastards. But looking back upon those times? I would not change them for something else!

I would write more then this, but my english is flawed and I always had trouble writing emotions or feelings into text and words.

As a added not about memories and nostalgia. I tell you all to go play "But that was [Yesterday]". What a work of art! This is what all those angry gaming industry haters should see instead of always proclaiming every one that plays video games becomes a massmurdering psychopath.

Post subject: Re: LS's tributes: Neverwinter Nights
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:54 pm 

Title: The 6th Non-Sense
Well.. BioWare is a very fomulaic and predictable developer.. The direction is downwards with content and game mechanics and upwards with eye candy. Notice how they've practically hold on to the BG2 formula in one particular aspect for more than ten years now and it just keeps getting simpler.. Crew with sub missions and romances.. BG2, NWN was an unusual bastard child in the mix, but they picked up the formulaeic thread again with KotOR and so on.. Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.. There were some other games in between like Jade something and something else with a Dragon.. but.. I lost interest.

I think one of the most annoying and rewarding features of NWN is the random loot. I remember how I began to save the game before opening a container just to see how amazing the loot could be.. Somehow I really hate that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 pm 

I understand what you say and sadly put, Bioware sticks to one part but renews another. The romances turned from fragile Aerie and crazy Viconia to god damn woman what is that you're dressed in and why are you so damn rude, Miranda and What the hell....you slept with my whole damn team? God damn pirate Isabela.

All for the horny teenagers.

And the eye candy comes in many shapes of course.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:16 am 
Patron

Lord sadness wrote:
All for the horny teenagers.

...and the pedophiles. Underage blue chicks have become a regularly occurring feature. Lets just make them non-human to cover any legal eventualities :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:52 pm 

Haha Liara yeah? ;)

Viconia was maybe blueish-blackish but she was mature and would smack your face with a rod of the ages.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:48 pm 
Contributor

Title: Metal Head
I'd smack her in the face with my rod of ages.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:32 pm 

Heh! Sounds like a plan!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:58 am 
Contributor

Title: Metal Head
NWN Diamond Edition is now 4.99USD on GOG.com. A friend and I started playing on a persistent world server as a dwarven clan searching for their lost brewery (Clan Schlitzenkugel). He's playing a viking inspired character (CN Barbarian/Rogue) and I'm playing a LE Battle Cleric / Dwarven Defender.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/neverwinter ... nd_edition

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:00 pm 

That sounds hillarious!

I have a spare copy of the DIamond Edition laying around!