[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Skyrim

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Skyrim
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:40 am 
Editor

Not that hard keeping track when they're in-game stats you can view. ;)

I haven't got as much time as Merl but I've certainly but some time in. Smithing was my first skill up to 100 followed quickly by one-handed and light armour. My roguish skills are in the 70s, my magic (only use Destruction and Conjuring) are in their 60s.

Bought myself a couple houses but don't want more than two and married one of my House-Carls (but she was hot and doesn't seem to mind my leaving her home while I still travel with Lydia, my House-Carl from a different town) Would have married her but I got the bug where you don't get the dialogue option. And I've never heard the term "house-carl" before. I'm guessing it's TES speak for butler/bodyguard.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:59 am 
Patron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:39 am 

Title:
Well don't take that part too seriously. Marraige is different in Skyrim. Theres not a lot of room for romance. Basically you put on an Amulet of Mara, which signifies that you want to get married. You find someone that wants to marry you, and you get married. Thats the extent of "romance". Oh, and theres no distinction between gay marraige and un-gay marraige. I think more men wanted to marry me than women, at least early on. The screenshot isnt quite the one I wanted, but I couldnt get it to be taken. Basically the one I wanted was a drunk homeless man slurring out "I would be honored to marry you, I would marry you twice if I could" or something like that.

Housecarl is an old word, but real. I would have called em "Huscarl or Huskarl" though.

And it was addictive, and awesome. I would have posted more before but while looking up the statistics I had to go so I just posted what I had. Like... this game is a 9.9 out of 10. Almost perfect but just a couple things wrong. Have a look at a few of the screenshots I took over a period of two weeks.

There were some bugs with quests, but nothing huge and majorly gamebreaking. For example, I had some Miscellaneous quests that I completed but couldnt remove, or objectives I got after the quest was completed.

I never got any of the stuff I read about, like dragons flying backwards. I had one guy moonwalk at a Stormcloak camp once, but that was after running into him a couple times. Oh, and a dead mammoth half trapped in the ice. I don't know how it died though.

Oh, and hawks that I plugged full of arrows and fireballs that just wouldn't fall out of the sky in Solitude.

I figured that giants knocking you several thousand feet in the air is probably intentional though. That made me fear giants for a long time.

Oh and I did bug out crazily during a fight with an enemy called "The Caller" It took me three hours to figure out how to work around it on the console to fix it. It caused my character to permanently have the storm atronach lightning effect on myself. Being surrounded my mist and lightning was cool for a few minutes though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 am 
Patron

How does things like levelling and skills work?

Probably the biggest turnoff from what I tried in Oblivion was the silly juming around as a frog to improve agility and meeting robbers with a kings ransom worth of equipment.

I don't expect perfect, but if they have at least gotten enough under control to be manageable (or mods that fixes it), I think I might just grab it as Christmas present for myself. I would prefer to buy a non-steam version, but I have a nagging feeling that it isn't an option.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 pm 
Editor

The skill system is "use it and up it goes". Want to increase your armour skill? Just get hit. Want to increase your sneak skill? Just walk in a crouch all the time. Yeah, a bit silly. At least with smithing, enchanting and alchemy, you're actually crafting items. And there are trainers scattered around that can train you five times per level. What I liked doing early on was being about 95% of the way to the next level, finding a trainer in whatever skill, training five time, which would put me to the next level, go to my skills page, level up, then immediately train with them again at the new level and those five sessions would move me towards the next level. Go find a trainer in a different skill and repeat.

Works fine early on but later it gets expensive. Training five times for $1000 vs five times for $10,000.

Perks are nice too but I wasted a few. I put three or four into the destruction magic tree (frost, fire, shock) then wound up using conjuration more so I wished I'd picked perks in that tree instead.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 am 

Title:
They took out Acrobatics and Athletics from Oblivion. And Mysticism. And some others I think. Brought back Enchanting from Morrowind I think. Morrowind had a lot more skills, but you weren't limited to 5 trains per level. No more hand to hand or unarmored either. Was unarmored in Oblivion? Im pretty sure hand to hand was... Oh and Speechcraft and Mercantile are now one skill, but if you enchant gear, they are two different effects.

The skills that seem to be the hardest to raise were Archery, one handed, two handed, sneak, and Destruction. Ya know, the ones where you actually have to hit enemies. Though I eventually figured out how to easily raise destruction (get -100% cost gear, wall of flame/frost/shock at every enemy you meet)

Secret to raising Smithing? Iron Daggers. One Iron Ingot, and One Leather Strips. Every item you craft raises it the same, no matter the price or resources used.

Alchemy is based on the price of the potion. So mix like something with three or four effects, like a potion of invisibility, ravage magicka, weakness to shock, resist poison or whatever (not even sure you could combine those four but meh) and it will be more than just a potion of Cure Disease.

Enchantment, just soul trap and enchant stuff. Make a lot of money this way too. For weapons to sell, pick Banish, it is the most expensive. Armor varies by slot on what you can put on it.

Block? Well, just block. If you can take it, let a Giant pound on you. for about 15 minutes, should get you from 0-100 easy enough. And have healing potions. Also... preferably you have "Fortify Block" enchanted gear so as to live longer and therefore take more hits. Failing that... Frost Trolls work okay too.

For Illusion, just keep casting muffle over and over.

For alteration... detect life, or stoneflesh when you see an enemy over and over.

Conjuration? Well, I soul trapped Lydia a lot. Like every time I visited my house I would hit her with it until she would be like "Im not warning you again, stop it!". Oh and just about every enemy I met. See "Enchantment" above.

Again, Iron Daggers for Smithing, Iron Daggers, Iron Daggers, Iron Daggers.

For pickpocket... uh... well, theres only one option there. Pick pockets. Reload as needed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:54 pm 

Title:
Apart from the grinding which sounds really boring.. What's the fun and point of the game?

Why are you keeping husbonds? (hus = house)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:44 am 
Editor

Well, the grinding is getting bloody boring. And you can't play a "class" in this game because once a skill hits 100, you no longer get XP for using it so the only way to continue levelling up is to use skills you didn't want to use. Never having played any of the previous Elder Scrolls games, Bethesda's approach is new to me. I don't like it.

I had wanted a character using one handed weapons, light armour and a bit of conjuration and destruction magic. Now, with those skills maxed, the only way I can continue levelling up is by switching to heavy armour and two-handed weapons and using the other magic schools. Total BS for character building and game design in my opinion.

The main quests run out and while the game "never ends" after the main quests, it's all bounties: Go kill this bandit leader, go slay this giants, blah blah blah.

The game is pretty and artificially big but... Bethesda's strengths are not their writing. And playing on PS3... it's shit. JE Sawyer recently commented on the issues with FO:NV and Skyrim on PS3. Has to do with the PS3's divided memory. Leads to bad framerate drop and freezes with larger save files. Which means, just like NV, the game is great until you hit double digits with your save file. But Skyrim is even worse... complaints, and I've started experiencing this too... is that Skyrim fucks up your HD and other games. I shit you not... Skyrim has managed to corrupt save files for other games with its crashes. I've experienced it. My friends have.

Boo Bethesda.

It's fun... but it wears off after a while and it just becomes a matter of forcing yourself to finish it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:23 pm 

Title:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:10 am 

Title:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:42 pm 
Editor

Not being familiar with that system, I can say it sounds better than what Skyrim has... which is a steaming pile. Had I known how it worked, I'd have played my character differently from the start. Now, past level 50, I'm trying to use skills in their 20s and 30s. Meh.

And Jan, I never played FO3. Avoided it like the plague. Just because a company can afford to buy the rights to an IP doesn't mean they should make the game. Should have done what they did with NV and let Obsidian do it. And with it recently being announced that Matt and Trey personally picked Obsidian to do their new South Park game... well, so much for even the remote hope that Bethesda would get a clue and let Obsidian do FO4.

As for Obsidian working on a South Park title... one of their strengths is their writing but that strength won't be utilised in a South Park game. Weird choice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:34 am 
Patron

At the moment, I think they are just happy to get more projects using their Onyx engine and help pay the rent in the process (while they get more experience using it and adding features to it).

Sort of like co-funded R&D ;)

To pretend to be a bit on topic, I think Skyrim is going to be my Crhistmas present to myself. With 3 weeks vacation coming up soon, I expect to finish FO:NV and open up a time slot for another game. I also have Dead Island which is sort of not bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:20 pm 
Editor

Hehehe. Dead Island was traded in towards Skyrim.

And sometimes I miss PC gaming. There are no fan-made patches or mods for consoles.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:44 pm 

Hmm, getting in on the fun late it seems.

Im not sure how much more i will play the game, as it went on a small hiatus about two weeks ago, mostly due to one experience.

I havent played Oblivion, but i did play Morrowind. I found the worlds travelling too empty, i was seriously bothered by glueing down your spacebar and leave for work to raise your jumping skill. I was even more bothered by the amount of useless characters, when i visited a new village where i had to speak to one guy, i had to speak to fifty or more, all with the same lines, to find those one or two that would point me onward on my quest. What i did like though, was that it was my world, to do with as i please.
I remember i murdered a shopkeeper in one of the first villages, took over his house, and used it as a base of operations, including teleport spells and laying out my stuff along his desks and night tables. Noone complained about it after a while, for all sense and purposes it was my house.

In Skyrim, on my way to that far far away mountain you described, i met a nobleman on his horse. Remembering horses were way out of reach for my amount of gold i shot the nobleman, mounted his horse and rode off. A guard noticed this and commented on my behaviour, so i paid him a sum of gold, told him i was his housecarl, and rode off to the other side of the world.
The horse by now is more than used to me in his saddle, i should have learned it some tricks by now, like sitting and offering paws and all that. Instead, its still stolen, and every guardsman i come across, that doesnt know me, let alone my horse, seems to notice from my eyes, or my horses' that i stole it. meh.

In any case, opinion wise, it seems interesting and immersive, but its turning out a bit bland. Maybe all of it is still to come, but i find the world a bit bland. I dont mind the travelling, the fast travel option works nicely, and similar to other sandboxes i dont mind doing the first journey myself. It does bother me however that all of the world is snowy, and half of it is in a sleet storm. I guess i expected more colors.
I should be able to go my way about things, but i dont really see it. I havent replayed any part, but it doesnt seem all that open ended to me. I'd say everyone has to go up that mountain and do some shouting against dragons. I am playing a dual casting wizard, and people tell me i should visit the wizards college up north, which i did. I do think however that anyone can join this college, and would i have left for another starting village i think they too would have suggested me this course of action.
Come to think of it, i dont like dragons either. Just like i dont like elves. I want new kicks i guess, those cat and lizard folk interest me, but hunting dragons isnt really something that makes me come back to the game. Btw, the writing does seem better than in Morrowind, or at least less cumbersome, i can find my way around pretty quickly, which is a nice change. I guess that also has to do with my new habit of not doing anything im not interested into doing by the game however.

I also have troubles with the leveling system. I havent really met any problems as of yet, its too early for that. I do remember being grossly underleveled in Morrowind though, because i wasnt prepared to swim around the continent to be a good swimmer. In Skyrim too, i originally envisioned myself as a caster of destruction, that uses helpers from conjurations to stay out of melee range from others. The destruction skill is doing fine, but the conjuration one doesnt seem to get up very quickly, i cast one of those atronachs every battle, investing a lot of time in equipping and reequipping, but the results are so low compared to the destruction rising. (not to mention the atronachs just tend to stand around the starting line where i cast them, occasionally wandering over to a spot where they can block themselves from moving further.)

Then there's the cross platform thing. Stuff tends to get locked in my off hand, i'm thinking of switching to a two handed weapon, so much this bothers me. I can live with what i have to do to sell or drop my equipment, but i cannot with what i have to do to equip weapons/cast spells. It is so much work i tend to steer towards a solve-all solution. I am not enticed to cast buffs, prepare with summons or drink a potion, let alone rummage around in my spellbook. I am looking to just use one of my beams and circle strafe backwards as if its Serious Sam.

All in all though, i'm just spoiled. Its a good game, and its a lot deeper than your average Jade Empire of this time. It just isnt Baldurs Gate, Silent Storm or Civilization 4.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:42 pm 
Editor

Damned nice to see you dousi! Actually made me smile. And with nice, long, intelligent posts here and Duncan Lunan's interview thread... Bonus points!

As for Skyrim, I'm working through a second playthrough. There's a lot of "grinding" involved in levelling up. I believe grinding it the term for this style of gaming. Just like hearing "sandbox" for the first time in reference to this game recently, I've now heard it three times.

I'm not minding it but it can be boring when levelling is so easy to "cheat" at. For example, my first playthrough saw me at Level 66 with 343 locations discovered. In this one, I'm level 57 with 194 locations discovered. And I've cranked up the combat difficulty to very hard/expert but everyone still falls before me in one or two shots from an arrow or war axe. But indeed, the story isn't compelling, and despite all there is to do, the world just feels pretty empty and artificial.

One thing about this game is that really, your character has to be a complete sociopathic bastard if you're going to actually get your money's worth out of the game. You really can't role play a good guy. If you do, you get to see and do very little of the quests. That wears thin for me fast since, in DnD terms, I tend to approach all rpgs with a CG alignment/mentality.