[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Star Wars: The Old Republic

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:25 pm 

Title:
I know you people hate MMOs and stuff but its what Im playing now.

I played it in beta for four months. Found a lot of bugs. Did some crafting and stuff.

I didn't think it would be ready in time for release but after playing it the last few days in the early access, 95% of what was flawed was fixed.

Theres still some bad space combat but I hold hope they will revamp it in an expansion.

Main drawback is how linear it is levelling. You have to do the same planets in order every character. You can pretty much make one Republic and one Empire character and see 95% of the game.

Each class has its own story though. Its fully voiced acted and whatnot. Like Knights of the old republic 1 and 2.

Fun times.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:50 pm 

Title:
I don't hate MMO's, but I am no fan of repetitive gameplay and I hate having my gaming space invaded by children, immature teens and genuine assholes..

I sometimes miss WoW, but both Blizzard and misguided fanbois ruined that game on so many levels that everything that was keeping my attention was sucked out of the game. I really loved exploring all kinds of pets, to realize their strenghts and weaknesses and also mixing their abilities.. that was cut or diluted. And then the game turned towards incessant grinding and powerplay and maximized that particulary mindless activity beyond reason.. And then all of sudden it was routine for too many players and you had to make notes in your calendar for reserving time to mine this or collect that.. I never did that, but I know my previous friend and tenant did something like it. Since he moved out a year ago I haven't seen or heard from him, I guess he's totally absorbed by WoW now.

Anyway, bygones are bygones.

So.. SW:TOR.. Fully voiced; that obviously limits the game. Crafting and stuff? Craft-grinding or? What's the lure?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:07 am 

Title:
The draw is that its a Bioware game of which there are very few bad ones (this is definitely a good one). And its Star Wars, of which there are more bad games (this is also a good one). if you like KotOR, you should like this.

There is crafting. its a decent system. You get Companions to craft for you. Companions are kind of like pets, kind of like NPCs that follow you around and fight for you. They are about 75% as strong as a player would be if you keeped them geared decently. You can have one with you while the rest of them craft, or gather resources, or have them all craft for you, and so on.

For example, as a Sith Sorceror (specializing in lightning though I could have gone healing) I have Khem Val. He has taunts, wears heavy armor, and tanks for me. Theres also a droid that is meant to be used to craft and gather resources. Theres a gunslinging space pirate that does damage. Aaaaand you get a semi corrupted jedi padawan. You unlock them as the class story progresses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:47 am 

Title:
Kind of sounds like a single-player online.. What does the game has to offer in relation to MMO gaming? Groups? PvP?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:43 pm 

Title:
It has strong single player elements yes.

It has faction pvp. It has pvp servers. It has pvp-rp servers. It has planetwide pvp on one planet. It has warzones for pvp. It has gear you buy with points from pvping. There are a few planets with no enemies of the opposing faction.

It has raids (operations). It has mobs that take 20 guys to kill. It has good missions (flashpoints). It has hard quests (4 man heroic instances).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:47 am 
Patron

Several things prevents me from developing in interest in this game. I don't do MMO's (tried it a few years ago for a few months, and that was a setting that I love, Warhammer). Just can't find the time to play regularly and play with a regular group. I lost interest in Star Wars withr the third movie. I bought and enjoyed to some degree Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, but at the moment I wouldn't trust Bioware to write anything that would capture my interest month after month. Lastly, I don't play the milk my credit card month after month game either :mrgreen:

Sorry Merlance, I wouldn't mind a free trial month or a free to play cut down version, but at the moment it doesn't look like it's in the cards.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:56 am 

Title:
Sounds like it's taking a lot from WoW or whatever WoW took from. Does it have anything original?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:51 pm 
Editor

I'm with Gorth in that this game doesn't interest me. The big thing is that it's Star Wars, something I couldn't care less about. Beyond that, Bioware, MMO, and monthly fees but mainly that it's Star Wars.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:21 pm 

Title:
I thought KotOR was pretty nice, except for that lame influence system that Obsidian introduced, that means you have to befriend (read: suck-up to) all your followers to make them useful.. But to turn it into an MMO.. Hmmm.. I guess it would be too much like D&D with lighsabers..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:59 pm 

Title:
, haven't read it all, but it sounds kinda interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 pm 
Editor

Is PC Gamer more reputable than IGN? Because reviews on there are such utter crap, frequently written by either A) developers pretending to be fans or B) people who have no bloody clue what the game was actually about. Some of the FO:NV and Skyrim reviews are pure comedy gold.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 pm 

Title:
PC Gamer is not a favorite of mine in any way and the final rating doesn't quite add up with the comments - I had a brief glance of a few of them. Often reviews reeks of being on a payroll somewhere. I don't think any site that reviews for a living is any more reputable than the other. I haven't checked the IGN. Unfortunately reading reviews online is a bit like watching news on any channel. You have to watch them all to piece the 'real' story together and that's just too much trouble.. Maybe it can be done for facts, but there is unfortunately no substitute for experience where sensations are involved. Sometimes finding a reviewer that shows the same feelings on some common ground may help establish some faith, but most sites don't really support such a line of inquiry into the background of the author.. Unfortunately I don't know the author here. I hope there will be a demo and a period of free-2-play.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:24 am 
Editor

Absolutely agree with the "reeks of being on a payroll" comment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:45 am 

Title:
I read a couple reviews around. At times they dont seem to be playing the same game that I'm playing. I still like it though, but some of the flaws become more evident as I levelled.

For example... its not very massive. But it is. Some of the worlds are huge, and at peak times you see... maybe 110 people on the planet. At non peak times I have seen... 2 people on a planet, one of them being me. You can go an hour (or more if you dont go to a quest hub) without seeing anyone. They need to consolidate the servers, theres just too many of them. Most people Ive seen is in the main space station hub, around 240 or so tops.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:29 am 
Patron