Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Mass Effect 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:34 am 

Title: Oh my giant of Lannister
I recently got it for the XBox, after having played through the two previous ones back to back. I don't think I've felt to let down in my life :( The first red flag in my opinion, was the whorification of the characters from the previous games. I really liked Ashley as a character, because she felt like a serious, no nonsense reply to the decades of strippers in gaming, but that was thrown out the window within the first two minutes. Seriously? That outfit is an acceptable uniform? The same goes for... Eh... that forgettable blue gal. Goddamnit Bioware, stop pandering to EAs lowest common denominator. You used to make coo- scratch that. You used to make formulaic, yet fun games!

Then there was the whole DLC/online thing. Seeing how many quests depended on you having bought DLCs in previous games to get a satisfactory outcome, I really had the wind knocked out of my sails. It was disheartening as fudge to know, that no matter how much effort I put into the game, I would never get a good resolution to a quest, simply because I didn't buy a patch that gave someone bigger titties or a shootier gun(examples may be exaggerated for effect). I have nothing against a quest that has a "bad" ending no matter what you do, if it was written to be that way. But basing the outcome on how many $$$ I've spent? ... Bioware, I can't help except taking that as a personal "fudge you Magnus". Well, fudge you too Bioware.

And then there's the whole online "galaxy at war" thing. Neat idea, in theory, but the execution blows balls of a certain equine. Number one: It is entirely possible that the player (i.e., me) doesn't want to play ME3 online with/against the slavering horde of public idiots, douchebags and asshats. Number two: It is entirely possible that the player (i.e., me) isn't able to go online with his XBox. It could be for a variety of reasons, such as having a first-gen console without WiFi support, and not wanting to drag a 20m UTP cable through the entire house. So why, Bioware, must my strictly offline game be penalised? That's some pretty awful game design. It could have worked so well, too! A single prompt when starting a new game (Would you like to activate the "Galaxy at War" online content - Y/N?), that flipped a switch from 0 to 1, that changed the "galactic readiness" multiplier from 50% to 100%, or just gave the offline player generic, randomly generated fetch-quests that changed the multiplier. But no.

I think EA was the death-blow to Bioware. Like I stated previously, they used to make fun, if formulaic games. Now they're making unfun clones of previous EA titles, and hold the "fun" hostage until you throw even more money at them.

Again, a heartfelt "fudge you, Bioware".

::edit::

Typed in a whole paragraph on online shenanigans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 pm 

Title: Mr Biased Grumpus
They have made som improvements with the EC....some.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:45 pm 

Meh, I'll get it for the PC when I need an upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 am 
Patron

Magnus wrote:
I think EA was the death-blow to Bioware. Like I stated previously, they used to make fun, if formulaic games. Now they're making unfun clones of previous EA titles, and hold the "fun" hostage until you throw even more money at them.

Mate, you don't really expect them to let that hostage go, do you? In a few years time (once TOR dies off), their cold, lifeless corpse will end up under a fresh layer of concrete in the basement, on top of the bodies of Freefall, Origin and other former creative companies ;)

Edit to add: Save yourself the pain and watch the new movies they added on youtube. That way you won't have to suffer the horror that is the final push towards the citadel and the starchild. Heck, not even action comics are *that* bad (i.e. that last stretch of the game).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm 

Gorth wrote:
Edit to add: Save yourself the pain and watch the new movies they added on youtube.

Hah! It's not as if I intend to spend a single fraction of any given currency on a Bioware game ever again, and certainly not ME3 if I ever remember to play it again, once (or if) I've updated my hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:08 pm 
Patron

Magnus wrote:
Gorth wrote:
Edit to add: Save yourself the pain and watch the new movies they added on youtube.

Hah! It's not as if I intend to spend a single fraction of any given currency on a Bioware game ever again, and certainly not ME3 if I ever remember to play it again, once (or if) I've updated my hardware.

Well, they wouldn't cost you anything to download (unless you have a traffic cap on your internet connection) as they are free.