Zombie slaying on PS3 with Lord Sadness and me...

Gaming discussion for all platforms
Joseph
Editor
Editor
Title: I wanna be Captain Kirk

Zombie slaying on PS3 with Lord Sadness and me...

Post by Joseph » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 pm

So... Marcus has CoD Black Ops on the way. We probably won't do much in the way of the normal multiplayer mode. We may kill some bots on the various maps but we'll mostly be slaying zombies. If anyone wants to join, we can share our PS3 IDs (but I think most of us few remaining active folk don't have PS3s). Otherwise, we'll just post bits and pieces of our glorious victories and deaths. ;)

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Re: Zombie slaying on PS3 with Lord Sadness and me...

Post by Joseph » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Some Zombie pointers for Marcus (and anyone else that might join)...

It's a survival game. You don't "win". You just try and last as many rounds as you can.

Headsets are necessary (due to a lack of human telepathy). You need to be able to communicate with your fellow players or you won't last long.

Points are EVERYTHING. No points and you're going to die fast. Points are how you buy better weapons, replenish certain types of ammo and buy Perk-a-colas, which give you certain boosts and keep you alive. You earn points by killing zombies and rebuilding barriers.

Weapons - Your starting weapons are a handgun, a knife and two grenades. It's good for the first round or two then you need something better. There are two ways to get better weapons. The first is "off the wall". Throughout the map, you'll see chalk outlines on the wall of other weapons. If you have the points, you can buy them. With any off the wall weapon you can replenish the ammo by returning to that spot and buying more. The second way to get weapons is the Mystery Box. This also costs points and it's completely random what you get. Some weapons are the best in the game, some average and some absolute garbage. ammo for Mystery Box weapons can only be replenish by a "Max Ammo" power up. You have up to five weapons slots - two guns, two slots for grenades and one for landmines.

Power Ups - Occasionally dropped by slain zombies. There are several types and most only last for 30 seconds or so.

Max Ammo replenishes the ammo for all weapons you are carrying. Active until you use it all.
Insta-Kill allows you to kill almost anything with one hit. A good time to save your ammo and just stab everything.
Ka-boom is a bomb that kills zombie on the map.
Carpenter rebuilds all the barriers the zombies have torn down.
Double Points gives you double points while it's active.

Perk-a-colas - throughout the map there are vending machines. They can only be used once you've turned on the power for that area. There are several types, allowing you to revive fallen comrades, increase your stamina so you can run faster and longer, increase your endurance so you can take more hits, increase your weapon reload speed. There are more but that covers the basics.

Basic strategy - near the end of each round, it's always a good idea to leave one zombie alive so you can tour the map and rebuild all the barriers. This gives you points and delays the zombies getting in at the start of the next round. The round ends when the last zombie is killed.

It's also a good idea to try and start each round from a (reasonably) defensible position that also contains more than one exit. Getting cornered is a quick death.

The wiki is always a good place for more detail. http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Zombies_%28mode%29

MERLANCE
Title: Sorceror Supreme

Post by MERLANCE » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Black ops zombies is fun sometimes, though I play it on PC. My best is 28 rounds on Five, I don't care for Nacht der Untoten or whatever the other map is, and I didnt buy any of the other map packs.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:29 am

PSN ID: AngryKidJoe

Been looking for Black Ops. Used to own it. I do not anymore.
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:01 am

MERLANCE wrote:Black ops zombies is fun sometimes, though I play it on PC. My best is 28 rounds on Five, I don't care for Nacht der Untoten or whatever the other map is, and I didnt buy any of the other map packs.
There have been what, four DLCs?

Of those, two are great "must haves" in my opinion and the others, while fun, are easy enough to pass. The last DLC, Rezzurection, has all the original zombie maps plus the new moon one. The moon is a blast. The "Call of the Dead" one is also great. Robert Englund, Michael Rooker, Danny Trejo and Sarah Michelle Gellar. Good times.

I don't really enjoy the multiplayer mode for CoD. Too many dickheads so I never really play much of the other non-zombie parts of the game. I have played all the maps though just shooting bots with friends in private matches.
AngryKidJoe wrote:PSN ID: AngryKidJoe

Been looking for Black Ops. Used to own it. I do not anymore.
I'll add you the next time I sign in.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 pm

I just picked up CoD: Black Ops. You're saying that I should download Rezzurection?
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Sweet!

As for your question, it depends.

Escalation comes with four new normal Black Ops maps and one zombie map: Call of the Dead. It's good times as I mentioned above and probably my favourite zombie map. George Romero is taken by a zombie, becomes a "king zombie" and he and his hordes hunt your ass.

Rezurrection comes with four zombie maps that were initially only available with the Prestige/Hardened editions of the game plus the new Moon map. The moon map is my second favourite zombie map.

On its own, CoD has the German theatre, and killing Nazi zombies is indeed fun and it has an unlockable zombie map which is also fun.

Like I said, there are four DLCs. My ranking would be:

Escalation first.
Rezurrection second (but only slightly behind Escalation)
Ascension and Annihilation tied for third.

And again, that's just my ranking for the zombie maps. I don't play much of the other aspects of the game. But... a group of friends killing bots on the normal maps can be fun too.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 pm

If you play pretty often I'll pick them all up.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:11 am

The Annihilation zombie map (Shangri-La) is bloody tough. Half the time I forget the names of the DLC packs and only remember the name of the zombie map it comes with.

And yeah, I'll play more often with you and Ls being around to game with. It's only so much fun alone or with random strangers online. Always best to do these things with friends.

Again, I'd recommend either Escalation (Call of the Dead) or Rezurrection first. Not much point in you picking them all up. At least not at first anyhow. I know Ls can't afford them all right now and we wouldn't be able to play maps that he doesn't have the DLC for. Doesn't mean you and I can't when he's not online though.

Oh, and headsets come in damned handy. As you know, hard to play co-op without them. Ls hasn't got one yet. Says he's picking one up.

With all this back and forth... I'm getting a hard on for some team zombie killing.

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:14 am

I have a headset and Annihilation is downloading.

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:05 am

Ha! Did you go for Annihilation because I find it the hardest zombie map? :D

Joseph
Editor
Editor

Post by Joseph » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:49 pm

A few more basic tips:

The best "off the wall" weapon is the Stakeout. It's a sweet shotgun. The best there is. It's easy to get to in four of the five main maps.

Kino Der Toten (main CoD zombie map)
Ascension (First Strike DLC)
Call of the Dead (Escalation... not easy to reach)
Shangri-La (Annihilation)
Moon (Rezurrection)

The only problem with the Stakeout is that, while great for killing, you don't get as many points with it. Always best when it's your secondary weapon and your primary is a machine gun (RPK or HK21) or assault rifle (Galil or Commando). Unfortunately, those four great guns are only available from the Mystery Box.

Stabbing is great for points in the first three rounds. You get 130 points for a stabbing kill (vs 50 for a shotgun blast). The round number equals the number of stabs it takes to kill a zombie. Round 1, one stab, Round 2, two stabs. The best way to work this is to get a couple zombie lined up, shoot centre mass so the bullet passes through the line (two birds with one stone kinda thing) then finish with a stab or two. Racks up the points in the first three rounds so you can open doors and buy better weapons. In later rounds, stabbing is only good as a finishing move on a seriously wounded zombie. Grenades are good for wounding and you'll wind up with legless zombies crawling with only their arms. So stab away then.

Also, in the early rounds it's a good idea to let the zombies through the barriers in a controlled manner. They only drop power-ups if they're fully in the room. If you kill a zombie before it climbs through the barrier you don't get the power ups. In later rounds, there are just too bloody many of them.

It's easy to contain a couple of rooms in the early rounds but once you start getting up past Round 5 or 6 you usually need to have quite a few doors open so you can run in a circle from room to room, not getting boxed in, and the maps are largely laid out in a circular way.

I think that's a good basic start. Hope you get your game soon, Ls, or AKJ and I will be light years ahead of you in our tactics and techniques. ;)

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 am

Yes. Yes, I did. Actually, I meant Escalation. I'll have to get a new headset. Mine's for the 360 and PC only. Bullshit.

Marcus
Title: Mr Biased Grumpus

Post by Marcus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:49 pm

God damnit! Still waiting, been waiting for atleast 2 months! WTF.

I am soon cancelling the order and get a used copy but they sent the damn game according to themself! :|

Magnus
Title: Oh my giant of Lannister

Post by Magnus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:49 pm

If you've been waiting for 2 months, it's gone baby. Send them an email, tell them it never arrived, and have them send a replacement. This is free of charge, since you've not received something you've already paid for. Usually, if something's not there within a month of being shipped, you're never going to see it.
I do bugger-all, but that's OK;
I sleep all night, and I read all day!