Magic: The Gathering

Gaming discussion for all platforms
AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Title: Metal Head

Magic: The Gathering

Post by AngryKidJoe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:41 am

Does anyone play? Has anyone played? Also, there are a few options for online play (the Paid official game as well as some free third-party pieces of software that are sanctioned by Wizards) I haven't played in 16 years but a friend got me back into it and my thus my lady got back into it. I'd like to use one of the online options to play against my Winterwind brethren.

Official:
https://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Artic ... agiconline [Actual card game]
https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/D ... lkers.aspx [Pre-made, semi customizable decks. More video-gamey. Flashy effects, easiest to set up]

Third Party:
http://cockatrice.de/ [Actual card game]
http://www.octgn.net/ [Actual card game]
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Gorth
Patron
Patron

Re: Magic: The Gathering

Post by Gorth » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:28 am

That brings back memories... Played it a bit, for 6 months or so when the original Magic the Gathering get released worldwide. No idea how many years ago it was. Got a few packages (had less cards than the base set) from the first expansion. Was fun for a while, but then it became very competitive and the interest waned rather quickly.

Are the computer games any good?
A dyslexic walks into a bra...

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Well, MG:O (first link) is paid. One time $9.99. It's the actual card game but played on line with other players. After played games you can win random cards or online booster packs. The digital cards are worth slightly less than their paper copies. So, in theory, you could just play and sell your cards you win and make money off of it. I have a friend that does that, actually. Cockatrice and OCTGN are the actual card games except all of the cards are at your disposal. Create any deck you like. Play against other players or in Cockatrice you can play against the AI.

Magic: Duel of the Plainswalkers starts you off with two choices for pre-made decks. Playing against the AI (There is a campaign mode with 'challenges' where you play against AI that is playing with illegal decks. Usually just playing the same cards over and over) will unlock more decks or cards for the deck you were playing. There is an online mode as well.

I've been having fun with all of them. A lot of people quit once they start losing. I don't because I've had quite a few games where I was losing and I came back something fierce. I have a tendency to play with mono-black decks (imagine that).

If you enjoy the game, they're all worth it. DotP is $9.99 and worth it if you want to be more of a casual player and not spend a bunch of time creating your own deck. The Third party programs are great. Large communities. I've had the most fun with the official Magic: Online as well as DotP when I don't have an internet connection at work working nights ... if I'm not playing the actual card game with a coworker I got into it.

This post is a big scattered but I hope it's clear enough to answer your questions. Also, DotP is available on Steam (Steam is also now on Linux, public beta, but has limited game support ... but it's growing fast).

-
Joseph C
His twisted mind concluded that if he was what he ate, and he wanted to stay human...

Fluffy17
Title: Token Archer Fan
Location: Battling Daleks with Claudia Black at my side on the Enterprise

Post by Fluffy17 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Played on and off, usually years in between. Just don't have the money to get all the rule-breaking cards that are needed to get a good deck. ATM, probably won't start anymore.
I have no time for flat characters why should I have times for flat people?

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

"You can't choose what bothers you, that's why it bothers you."

-Rachel Duncan

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:25 am

The games are discounted on Steam right now for up to 75% off. Let me know if anyone picks them up. I have 2013, but I'll pick up 2012 if anyone else does. The Gold pack is only 4.99USD

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:57 pm

[deflate]

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:49 pm

AngryKidJoe wrote:The games are discounted on Steam right now for up to 75% off. Let me know if anyone picks them up. I have 2013, but I'll pick up 2012 if anyone else does. The Gold pack is only 4.99USD
Steam name? and let me look into the game
AngryKidJoe wrote:[deflate]
Here I am, mild-mannered reporter

I'm Otto von Bismarck watch me blow, watch the butterflies coming out of my nose.

-Rachel Duncan

AngryKidJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AngryKidJoe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Steam Name: BlackSanguine

I believe...

Fluffy17

Post by Fluffy17 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:19 am

ok thanks, I'll add you soon

-Rachel Duncan