[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Winterwind Productions • View topic - Mass Effect : A Space Opera coming to an end

Winterwind Productions

Home of the Winterwind Papers ezine
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mass Effect : A Space Opera coming to an end
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm 

Title:
Mass Effect is a gaming series that means and meant a lot to me.

I would say Im a fan of this game trilogy, but not a fan boy. I really do hate what happended to Bioware and I start to question if Baldurs Gate really was the blood and tears of Biowares crew or if it was Black Isle doing that final touch to this game.

Non the less.

Mass Effect is such a vast and large gaming series that it started such an outrage with the ending which was far from the demands! The Hype! The wanted ending the fans and buyers of this game asked for. This gaming trilogy almost hit it I say, almost hit legendary status but the ending and the edge towards a more action oriented gameplay did not do good. But they where close and we all know (Whom played it), the game will be regarded as one of the big games in this generation of gaming.

The time put into this setting is astounishing. It is truely more then a game since it did bring out a bookseries of its own. The books on the other hand was another failure in the memory of the fans. In the latest book there was such errors of such an quantity that the fans yet again complained so much, that the author promised he would alter the things he did. This is what happens when someone takes over the project of a writer leaving a company, some buffalo thinking he can come in, clumpsy and non caring of something that people burn for. I believe he misstook the gamers that Bioware attracts to be sports jockeys and teenagers playing Black Ops 2 and Halo 4 online, shouting profanities left and right. If this is true it would indeed return to him, with a slap upon the nose. I only know of one error he made and he seemingly broke the set up timeline and had a character who was 12 in one book suddenly become 18, 3 years later. Something of that amount of mistake it was.

This only proves that the people burn for this setting, this imaginative world created. And I myself hold it in high regard as a world that can be built upon, that can be tinkered with and many interesting books and games can be made around this world. It is the Star Wars of games! Or atleast, it can be if Bioware and its owner, Electronic Arts play their cards right. But with the book and the games bad ending combined, I think that they must be very careful of what happens next. With a bad Dragon Age 2 released the year before on the table aswell, combined with a poorly doing Old Republic MMORPG game, it looks a bit grim for Bioware. If the announced Mass Effect movie fails to be a success it will prove dastardly for this gaming license.

But the work put into it do deserve a better destiny then the set backs it had of late. I would myself, like to see a good Pen and Paper company take the license and use it to bring us a interesting and fun to play PnP game set in this setting. Since this would probably make many of the old Bioware fans fly out of their computer chairs out of curiousity alone. And it would prove to bring new blood and interest to the Pen and Paper market by bringing in the biggest deal on the RP and Sci-fi market (in gaming) in the latest 5 years.

Mass Effect 4 been announced but there will yet be atleast one more DLC For Mass Effect 3. One last chance to do what this trilogy deserve! Before EA brings in the greedy profit hammer one more time to fully revamp Mass Effect 4 into an action oriented crap game, They are aiming for the Call of Duty fans! This been proclaimed even before the release of Mass Effect 3 and this is truely the sad truth of today. They proclaim that more games take from the RPG genre but at the same time, the RPG genre is dying and slowly fading away in a blur of oddity where games like Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 are called RPG's to some people. I loved Mass Effect 1, I was bit sceptical knowing it was a bit action oriented after trying it at a friends house. Back in 2010 although I got a new PC and I bought it. Cheap! And wow, I was taken by the story. No game had bringed such joy to me into the ending as this game did. It was a pretty cheesey Hollywood ending in my opinion but what a ending it was. It made me eager to play this trilogy and I ordered the second game! Around the Christmas of 2010 I played this game and managed to get an "F" on my first exam ever. It is hard to explain but games like these, movies to others or music and paintings to some! Bring forward such strange feelings and emotions that they mean something beyond the simple numbers or colours or what else they are made of.

Others might find this a silly notion but this is why so many where so angered at the ending of this trilogy. The game was more then a simple, stupid shooter game. It was a world created and blown full of life by the writers. It is more then the struggle of Shepard, more then a simple story. When a write manages to do something like this in a game, they have very much succeeded but this is also their biggest flaw, the largest of problems. If they all of a sudden break the atmosphere, the "In character" or become the heir of a project and they fail. Those who hold it in high regard will shout out their disappointment towards something like this.

Those who take this lightly, seem to me! To be shallow beings that have nothing they burn for in life or if they do, they should related to that film they loved as a child that they recently made a remake of, how horrendous they thought it be or how a translation of a book can truely be, poor work. I can simply say, that this mess of a text is my thoughts of one of Biowares largest project ever. I hated the ending, I hated the action orientation the trilogy start to take somewhere in the second game and I dislike both the blind fanboys holding it in high regards but also those without emotion, not caring, taking whatever is thrown at them aslong as they can shot things. Mass Effect 3, the first trilogy since I am sure there will come more! Has come to an end. Bioware is dead and a shell of the old company is what we see today with arrogant writers, Nonsense talking Hudson in media and a brainless corp as owner.

But I loved Mass Effect in itself.

Post subject: Re: Mass Effect : A Space Opera coming to an end
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:14 am 
Editor

I wish I knew something about the series. I don't, only the name so I've got nothing to say.

Well, I can say nice to see you writing your reviews again and if I had the energy, I could clean up your English and we could start adding reviews to the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 am 
Patron

I'm such a shallow being :(

They were mostly nice games, but not the stuff that makes me a "fan". Just like the Lords of the Rings movies, I liked the middle one the best, not sure why. Might have to do with slight, superficial similarities to BG2, not in the combat mechanics (because me2's are abysmal), but in the overall game structure, where your pursue a large number of diverse quests linked to your party members.

Both me1 and me3 were more linear "grinds", ironically with me1 having the best combat of the bunch. Me3 had some incredible middle parts, but was let down by a weak start and ending.

Maybe they can cook up a game featuring the combat of the first one, the game structure of the second one and the writing of the middle part of the third one???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:36 am 

Title:
That would be nice, I do need to fix my English a lot :)

And Gorth, I dont think thats likely with EA at the helm of the ship! ME1 was clearly the best of the bunch in my opinion.